Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I am dumb...how does BVC work?  (Read 37223 times)

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
I am dumb...how does BVC work?
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:40:05 PM »

OK, I have a microphone, a HTPC with Vista ultimate, a CM15A with Activehome Pro and all of my X-10 stuff working (for the most part).  I am curious about BVC (who wouldn't be), but I just don't get it.

I talk into the mic and the BVC uses the speach recognition software to interpret what I have said.  Then what?  Where does it go and how does it work with the CM15A?  I currently do NOT have the CM15A connected to the computer (info is downloaded to the module).  The reason is that the computer location does not work well for me with the CM15A there (not all modules respond).  Does the CM15A have to be connected via USB and that is how it communicates?  Or is there something that will send a signal to the CM15A that I am missing?

OK, any help would be appreciated.  Seems like a lot of fun :)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: I am dumb...how does BVC work?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »

BVC IS alot of fun.
To answer your question, yes the CM15 has to be plugged into the computer for BVC to work.
However, many users get BVC to tell the time and weather (and even daily Bible quotes) which do not require the CM15 to be connected.
BVC also works with a USB-UIRT that allows the computer to work the TV or Hi-Fi or any other IR device.
Hope this helps.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »

It is alot of fun. STop by http://www.bdshost.com/ac/.

Its a chat room for automation and just about all the guys in there use BVC
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

aslamma

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »

BVC IS alot of fun.
To answer your question, yes the CM15 has to be plugged into the computer for BVC to work.
However, many users get BVC to tell the time and weather (and even daily Bible quotes) which do not require the CM15 to be connected.
BVC also works with a USB-UIRT that allows the computer to work the TV or Hi-Fi or any other IR device.
Hope this helps.

I may have a technology backfire here then.  I have a remote (MX-900) that natively emits RF.  That gets transmitted to a RF receiver which has little IR emitters that are attached to the different components.  Therefore, I do not know how I would splice the USB-UIRT into that loop (components cannot do not have frontal access really). 

But...let me ask this.  Will I be able to control some of the Vista Media Center commands with BVC without the USB-UIRT?  I would like to have some simple things like skip song, and the like.  Well..either way, that is enough info for me to get started.  I think I will have to try some different locations and see if they work to get both a USB and reliable PLC so I can work BVC. 

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »

I may have a technology backfire here then.  I have a remote (MX-900) that natively emits RF.  That gets transmitted to a RF receiver which has little IR emitters that are attached to the different components.  Therefore, I do not know how I would splice the USB-UIRT into that loop (components cannot do not have frontal access really).

You can buy IR emitters for the USB-UIRT also.  Don't ask me where, but I did notice that some sites that sell it say their kit comes with one or two.

But...let me ask this.  Will I be able to control some of the Vista Media Center commands with BVC without the USB-UIRT?  I would like to have some simple things like skip song, and the like.

BVC (at present) doesn't control any computer software directly.  A possible option for controlling Media Center would be to use the USB-UIRT to learn and transmit appropriate IR codes to the Media Center IR receiver.

I am also doing some work with the X10 CM19A (USB version of the Firecracker).  Some BVC users have already experimented with it and say it works with BVC, but until I can verify an installation procedure, it's still experimental.

The CM19A would allow BVC to send and receive X10 signals via RF and talk by RF to the CM15A (not for programming the CM15A however).

Hope that gives you a better idea of what BVC will and won't do.

Oh, yeah....  I wrote BVC, in case you hadn't already guessed.  ;)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

I am huge fan of BVC myself! I even have a BVC fan Site <link. (Be sure to check-out my YouTube Videos.) I have been running BVC for [pushing] a couple years now. And it makes an awesome and futurist.. Home Automation setup.

I use an old (rescued from curb-side) computer that runs 24/7. The computer is connected to the CM15A interface and controls all my home automation.... as well as BVC.. and a software that keeps track of the weather for me. I use a baby monitor whole-house microphone setup... which cost me nearly nothing.

Even if you don't use BVC.. a HA PC is a great addition to any setup. If your new to X10 and AHP be sure to get your setup dependable (it sorta sounds like you might have a phase issue). X10 is a hoot when it's reliable... and frustrating when it's not.

I would hate to give-up the advantage's that Voice Controlled Home Automation gives me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:28:52 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

aslamma

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:27:06 PM »

Interesting, I have wondered this myself and considered a phase coupler and filter.  It seems to be OK with an alternate location that goes to both my outlet and USB.  To be frank though, I am already considering going to a UPB setup since there are many things I find frustrating about X-10.  What is keeping me on X-10 now is that I need to use slimline switches and motion sensors and there are not really any good alternatives in the UPB world...yet.

In any case, I think I am going to look into a filter and phase coupler since I don't think it matters what system you use for those.

aslamma

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:21:09 PM »

I can not seem to get the speach recognition side to understand me well. How sensitive is it to background noise?  I am going to try a new mic as well.  If I a having trouble from just a few inches away from the mic, is it realistic for it to work throughout the house with background noise? 

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:48:39 PM »

I can not seem to get the speach recognition side to understand me well.

It may require you do some "training". Remember to speak "normally" when training.

How sensitive is it to background noise? 

Mine hasn't ever appeared to notice normal background noise.

If I a having trouble from just a few inches away from the mic, is it realistic for it to work throughout the house with background noise? 

My system is about as reliable as a PalmPad. And I use $17 baby monitors for my whole-house microphone setup.

aslamma

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:24:31 AM »

I tried it on another computer and seem to have more success, but still having problems....more tweaking needed.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I would need something more than the baby monitors though.  How about this setup?
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14534.0

-What kind of range can one get with the intercom system (meaning distance from voice to nearest intercom)?  5', 10', 20'?

-Also, will it work if you have the TV on or another audio system working?  I almost always have some kind of audio going unless it is right before bed when I really would not need it anyway. 

Seems to be quite a tricky setup, but I think I am gonna give it a shot.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I would need something more than the baby monitors though.  How about this setup?
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14534.0

I like s0urc3f0ur's idea/setup! He wasn't the 1st one to use the intercom's but he was the 1st to use them 2-way. His setup uses powerline signal transmission which (IMHO) complicates the process. Radio Shack (and others) has Radio Signal 2-way intercoms that would be excellent for BVC. Although I used the baby monitors myself... and I am very happy with them.... if I was doing it all over again I would likely use the intercoms. The reason being that the intercoms also resolves the whole-house speaker issue at the same time.

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »

I like s0urc3f0ur's idea/setup! He wasn't the 1st one to use the intercom's but he was the 1st to use them 2-way. His setup uses powerline signal transmission which (IMHO) complicates the process.

It was a bit tricky but after making sure that the carrier freq was different then that of x10's.. I really have not had a problem.. Allthough I am only currently using one icom in my living room to communicate with BVC.

What kind of range can one get with the intercom system (meaning distance from voice to nearest intercom)? 5', 10', 20'?

The Range is really relative as to what kind of Icom you would use. If it is a PLC Icom then range should not be the issue. However phase will be. Most Icoms that carry on the PLC require that they all be on the same phase of electricity

-
Also, will it work if you have the TV on or another audio system working? I almost always have some kind of audio going unless it is right before bed when I really would not need it anyway.

It all depends on where you Place your mic/Icom. I've found that in some cases I do need to mute the audio on my TV to get the computer recognize my commands thourough my Icom.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

aslamma

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »

As far as range goes, what I mean is the distance from the VOICE to the INTERCOM, not from intercom to intercom.  For example, I can now get commands to work from about 2' when using my microphone, but if I move more than a couple feet from the mic, its a no go.  I was thinking I might have the same problem with an intercom setup.  I would like the intercoms to be at least 10-15' away and still be effective if possible.

So how quiet does the room need to be?  Maybe I am missing something, but if you have to mute the audio...how practical is a setup like this?  I thought the hope was to have hands free control, but if I have to reach for the remote to control the volume, I may as well just control the lights with the remote.  Sure there are a lot of times when the room is quiet, but 90% of the time I either have music from the HTPC going, radio, or TV. 

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »

.......what I mean is the distance from the VOICE to the INTERCOM, not from intercom to intercom. ......

I can't answer THAT... I don't have an intercom setup.

As far as distance from my baby monitors... I find they work best across the room (I face mine to the corners of the rooms). Twenty feet isn't a problem (even further is doable).

So how quiet does the room need to be?  Maybe I am missing something.........

The room doesn't need to be particularly quiet.... Volume should be somewhere below football game with the guys.... or kids on hardwood floors. I don't need to mute my TV.... for BVC to hear me... but I do often mute the TV to hear Kate (I use the Kate16 voice with my BVC... it's MUCH nicer than the standard MS voices). If I ask Kate for the weather... I often mute the TV to hear her announce it.

Your questions are all the "normal" ones. If you have a particularly noisy home... you likely know it. Screaming kids and barking dogs can make talking to a machine... as difficult as talking to the other people you live with.

I really don't "talk" to the computer that much. But... I REALLY like having the computer talk to me. If my garage door is forgotten [open] BVC reminds me. BVC lets me know when visitors are outside my home. Or if at night.... even warns potential intruders.

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »

Unfortunately I cant answer that either... My set up works fine but my house is very small. My source Icom is in the living room which is about 15 feet away from the interface Icom(In the Den). I can walk up and down the hallway that separates the 2 and have no problems communicating with the computer if the house is quiet... If say the TV in the living room is on though (because I have surround sound and the source Icom is mounted on the wall behind my couch) I have problems communicating with BVC. The Mic inside the interface Icom(the one connected to the puter) is still active and can pick up sounds as well
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.