Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help me decide... SR731 or V572RF32 to help DS10A/CM15a range  (Read 6979 times)

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.

Hi everybody!

First, I would like to thank you all for the information you've posted here, especially regarding the problem regarding signal reception by the CM15A. I wish I'd been a little more suspicious and read the forums before making my purchases!  >*<

So, my problem is that I need to have my PC on one side of my house and the CM15A doesn't read signals from 6 sensors diagonally opposite, on the far side of the house.

The DS7000, centrally located, works just fine. However, I don't use a landline, I don't have VOIP in that location, and I would honestly prefer to have event notifications sent to my cell phone via an emailed text message using onAlert. At this point, I can decide if I need to go home or call police or what. Later, when I add cameras, I can use the other modules to help me decide.

After getting my required dose of X10 technical support, I spent several days reading through the posts and I am very aware of the fixes that are suggested.

I really can't move the PC to a more central location. Either I need to put a computer desk in the dining room or move a 180 gallon aquarium in the living room. Neither option works well for me.

I have done some experiments with relocating the CM15a to a different electrical outlet and moving it as far as possible from the PC. Six of the sensors I need are still out of range and most aren't likely to be in range of the device, regardless, based on the distance between the closest out-of-range sensor and the farthest.

I don't feel comfortable making antenna modifications (Dad, an electronics engineer, is rolling in his grave thanks to that admission). I'd basically buy an additional CM15A to use for experimentation, which would cost as much as the SR731.

That leaves the SR731 and the V572RF32.

The SR731 is no longer sold by X10. When you consider how gloriously the CM15a functions, you have to wonder how bad something has to stink before they drop the product line. I haven't found any information on the device saying "Yes, I used this, it solved my problem, and I haven't had any quality issues with it." It is still available on eBay and costs, with shipping,  around two thirds of the cost of the V572RF32, with shipping.

The V572RF32 is the choice I am leaning towards, absent any information you guys give me. The designer/builder is very accessible. I emailed with him last week and pointed out that X10 discontinued their repeater. I have read multiple posts regarding the quality of WGLDesigns produces. Also, the device adds additional functionality by converting RF signals into X10 wiring signals. I may find that useful.

The one concern I have with the V572RF32 is if it creates a vulnerability in the system with its conversion of the sensors. I don't want to go into details here, for obvious reasons, but hopefully you guys understand and can tell me if it is a real vulnerability or if I am mistaken.

Anyway, thank you all again for the posts you've made in the past. I've mostly skimmed to date and expect it will take me a few more weeks to read everything in depth. Is there some sort of ranking system for threads here, so that you can note when a topic really gives good information? Dave X10 L has a great thread that sums up my approach perfectly (Keep them outside - better than a sign).

Boiler

Re: Please help me decide... SR731 or V572RF32 to help DS10A/CM15a range
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »

OriginalEvil,

Let me start by saying that I do not have any of the security modules (DS10 and such).

I do have a SR731 which I use to repeat my motion sensor signals from the 3rd floor to my Cm15a in the basement.  Works very nicely with the MS14a sensors.

Beyond that, I have heard very nice things about the V572 but have no first hand experience.

In deference to your father, could we try an minimally invasive mod prior to throwing more hardware at the problem?  Try experimenting by attaching (tape or tie wraps) a 9 to 9.5 in length of wire to your existing antenna.  I've used this on my fathers CM15a (yes, he's also a EE) to successfully extend the range in his metal lath and plaster house. 

If nothing else, it should show you some degree of improvement and rule out other possible sources of interference. 

There's a thread on the subject here : http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=9470.msg66170#msg66170.

This technique will also work for your MS10a sensors (may not meet WAF standards).

Boiler

Modified for SSE (stupid spelling errors)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:12:40 PM by Boiler »

originalevil

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »

Okay, that sounds like a simple solution to try. I'll give it a try right after work (I have wire and tie wraps laying on the dining room table, from when I took magents off spare DS10A sensors to set up double windows)

I'll make a post back right afterwards!

originalevil

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »

:o

Boiler....

Your kung fu is STRONG and has great potency!

I am working from home until our new office is finished, and, even though I should have waited until 5, I couldn't stop myself.

I read your link, and a link that went fruther from there, and was reading that the wire should be bare 14 gauge. I was using smaller wire, so I went out to the garage and came up with a 9.5 inch length of solid core 12 gauge wire. At this point, I was feeling sheepish and wondering if I needed a bag of chicken necks and a straw doll to make this work, but I just stripped the end of the wire, taped it tot he end of the antenna, and stuck it back on top of the desk's hutch.

I opened AHP, clicked the intall button on a sensor that was waiting, walked out to the garage, closed the laundry room door, and pressed the test button on the sensor to my garage's side door. It worked THROUGH a closed door and a couple of walls. I went to my bedroom and checked the farthest sensor there. It worked too.

I'm actually going to delete all the sensors in AHP and redo the setup to amke sure I don't miss anything (plus I need to figure out if I am going to do "rooms" or just clump it all together.

Thanks a lot for sharing this tip with me. It is so simple and works just fine.

The money i was going to spend on the repeater will buy a whole set of motion detectors or a strikemaster 2 strike plate (almost) or a couple of solar floodlights. I just bought this house a few months ago and I guess everybody knows how there are a million little things when you move in, all crying to take cash out of your pocket.

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »

Your kung fu is STRONG and has great potency!

I'm blushing, I haven't had either of those terms associated with me in a great many years (or never).

But seriously, please proceed cautiously.  I don't have a security setup, so I don't understand the implications of "deleting all your sensors".   The modification you performed made an improvement.  Take some time and evaluate the degree of improvement before you burn any bridges.

Welcome to the Home Automation fold.  Whether you realize it or not, you've been hooked.

Boiler

originalevil

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to make things so cloudy.

AHP is independent of the DS7000. Deleting a sensor from the software doesn't affect the actual security system, it just deletes its representation in Active Home Pro.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »

...from another corner...

Welcome to the money pit of X-10!  There are several Tips & Techniques postings that will help confuse you alot  ;D  and most of the folks on this forum are eager to assist.

just a couple of points -
1.  As I finally remembered this morning - I find it worthwhile to clear and pull the batteries from my CM15A's at least every 2 weeks - just because.
2. I have an antenna mod similar to yours (mine's 18", but hey, who's measuring) on one of my CM15A's - It does make a world of difference!
3. I have 2- SR731's - I needed one to get my farthest DS10a's signal to my DS7000. (the V572 wouldn't help with that) - Mine have worked as intended.
4. I have a V572SR32 - Really great range, but it's sole job is to convert RF to PLCs.  And yep, it will convert Security Sensors RF to whatever HC/UC address you desire - the newest revisions will not convert Security REMOTEs RF, but they're working on that.  Also, as several of us have noted elsewhere, the V572 "occasionally" hiccups and FLOODS the powerline with a storm of PLCs - usually containing an "A1-ON" which can be trapped to trip a module to cycle its
power off & on.  WGLDesigns is also aware of and working on that.
[EDIT] - I had to change the method of turning the V572's power-supplying Appliance Module OFF-delay-ON by addressing it to the HC of a TM751 and sending RF from AHP - the PLC wasn't getting through during a PLC storm. [end EDIT]

5. Hopefully this afternoon I'll be firing up my newly acquired XTB-IIR - and if it's half as good as the reviews say it is, I'm going to be a happy camper!
6. When you get stuck, use the advanced search - most of the answers are in here somewhere.  And if you have time, just look for entries by Boiler, Puck, Tuicemen, Billaban, Bill (of WGJohns.com), and others.  These guys are the guru's of X-10.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:05:06 PM by PajamaGuy »
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

originalevil

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 09:16:07 AM »

Thank you!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.