Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drapery control with 2 momentary contact closures  (Read 7713 times)

amx

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Drapery control with 2 momentary contact closures
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:26:15 AM »

I have an electric drapery system that requires 2 momentary contact closures to operate - 1 to close the curtains and a different 1 to open them.  The curtain system has its own infrared remote control.  The vendor assured me this unit could be interfaced with X10 but cannot tell me how to do it cleanly.
I want to close/open  the curtains automatically on a varying schedule with my X10 system to show activity when I am away.  I could use 2 UM506 modules with 2 different addresses, both set to momentary operation, sending an ON signal to address A to close the curtains, followed by an OFF signal 2 minutes later to reset it, and an ON signal to address B to open the curtains, followed by an OFF signal 2 minutes later to reset this module.  This should work but is a bit messy.

Is anyone aware of a module like the UM506  except with form C contacts, 1 set closes momentarily when the module receives an ON signal and the other set closes momentarily when the module receives an OFF signal?

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Drapery control with 2 momentary contact closures
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:39 AM »

Had the same problem. I thought about using 1 SPDT (or DPDT) relay with a 506. However, that would be an expensive answer since my home had 12 drapes to be controlled. Instead, I used an appliance module and a relay (120vac coil) for each drape controller. Mounted all relays in single enclosure and ran (Dollar Store) lamp plugs out of the box and into each appropriate module. Modules merely plug into power strips. Would have been a LOT cleaner if the 506s were double-throw, but sometimes life ain't fair.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:12:02 AM »

I could use 2 UM506 modules with 2 different addresses, both set to momentary operation, sending an ON signal to address A to close the curtains, followed by an OFF signal 2 minutes later to reset it, and an ON signal to address B to open the curtains, followed by an OFF signal 2 minutes later to reset this module.  This should work but is a bit messy.

Is anyone aware of a module like the UM506  except with form C contacts, 1 set closes momentarily when the module receives an ON signal and the other set closes momentarily when the module receives an OFF signal?

Wiith the Universal Module set to "Momentary Mode" as you state in the first paragraph, the UM506 WILL give you a momentary closure, about one second in duration. You will not need to send the OFF command.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:24:06 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

amx

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »

Will the UM506 give me a momentary closure every time I send an ON signal, even if I never send an OFF signal?  I got the impression from reading what technical literature I could find that I would have to reset it with an OFF command.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »

Will the UM506 give me a momentary closure every time I send an ON signal, even if I never send an OFF signal?  I got the impression from reading what technical literature I could find that I would have to reset it with an OFF command.
Yes.

If you have to send an OFF command to reset, then it would not be "momentary".  Here is a link to the product manual.

http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/um506-is.pdf
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

amx

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »

Project operational!!!!!  My electric drapery system is Kallox brand, model CL-200T3M.  I used the 2 UM506 modules, each with a different address, set to momentary, one to open the curtains and one to close the curtains.  I use a 1/4" spacer and some double-sided tape and stuck the 2 modules together then plugged them into a low profile surface mount duplex receptacle (normally used with wire-mold) that I had modified. I drilled a hole in one end, added a grommet and some lamp cord to drop down to my wall plug near the floor, behind the curtain.   A short phone cord with phone jack on one end and eyelet terminals on the other end, and one jumper wire between the two modules for the common wire, completed the wiring.  Worked out well.  X10 parts are hidden behind the valance.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks for your post. I'm sure there will be others that may find it useful.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »

Thanks for the work and sharing of the results. Others maybe helped by your findings.
Got you a Post Rating from me.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.