Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dimming & brightening Commands From Software  (Read 24180 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Dimming & brightening Commands From Software
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:00:27 AM »

Hello I was just using my AHP software to turn on and turn off some lights and I noticed that the dim and brightening commands are not working correctly for example I turned on my hall lights and dimmed them to 50% and then tried to brighten to 70% and they actually dimmed by more then 30%, tried it over and over and often if I try to brighten the lights they dim if I try to dim they brighten totally confused and frustrated if I use a remote I can dim and brighten with no problem but when this using the software sometimes it works but most times it doesn't hoping someone can make some suggestions to correct this I'm thinking it's a software bug since the remote will dim and brighten correctly, the software version I'm using is 3.204 any thoughts??

Tom j.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Dimming & brightening Commands From Software
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »

Do you have the "new" soft start switches?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »

Hello I was just using my AHP software to turn on and turn off some lights and I noticed that the dim and brightening commands are not working correctly for example I turned on my hall lights and dimmed them to 50% and then tried to brighten to 70% and they actually dimmed by more then 30%, tried it over and over and often if I try to brighten the lights they dim if I try to dim they brighten totally confused and frustrated if I use a remote I can dim and brighten with no problem but when this using the software sometimes it works but most times it doesn't hoping someone can make some suggestions to correct this I'm thinking it's a software bug since the remote will dim and brighten correctly, the software version I'm using is 3.204 any thoughts??

Tom j.

Upgrade to 3.228, it may correct some or all of the problems.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

tom j

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

Do you have the "new" soft start switches?

Hi! No actually I don't but was thinking about getting some I take it the software doesn't work with the soft start switches. I know it doesn't work with the Levitons with the soft start x10 lists them in AHP but I bought a few and they worked with the remote but not with the software, I'm thinking because of the memory function that the software can't communicate with it, so I had to return all but one of them. That's why I don't know why x10 list them as supported. Thanks

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »

Tom j.

Upgrade to 3.228, it may correct some or all of the problems.

Hmmm when was it released?  Maybe I sure hope so say have you ever experienced this problem, I take it you also feel this is a software issue. Thanks for all the help!!!

Tom j.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »

3.228 was issued May 9, 2008.   Open AHP and click Help, then Check for Update.

Also, have you bought any new lamp modules lately?  "Soft Start" has been added to various modules by X10 with no change in the part numbers.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »

Hello I was just using my AHP software to turn on and turn off some lights and I noticed that the dim and brightening commands are not working correctly
Try dimming using "Absolute" , not "Relative".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:05:03 AM »

Hello I was just using my AHP software to turn on and turn off some lights and I noticed that the dim and brightening commands are not working correctly

hmmm...  How do you do that I was just using the sliders in the software to adjust the levels.  Downloaded the new software seems just a tad better but it still really doesn't work. Thanks!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:14:29 AM »

Say guys can you do the following go into AHP and manually go from say 100% to 50% to 30% the to 75% using the sliders in the programs using a x10 light switch either the decorator or standard wall switch module and have it accurately brighten and dim, just curious if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem. Thanks!

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »

hmmm...  How do you do that I was just using the sliders in the software to adjust the levels.  Downloaded the new software seems just a tad better but it still really doesn't work. Thanks!

Tom j.
Check the manual, page 33. Don't you have a "Set Absolute" button?

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »

Tom,

Let me start by saying that, yes I have seen this in both the GUI (moving the switch sliders) and absolute dim/bright Macros.  I traced this to an interaction between my Leviton HCA02 repeater and AHP.  It's the reason I don't use standard dim commands in my system (all extended code dims).  I'm not sure if the interaction is specific to the HCA02, or if it applies to other repeaters as well.

Relative dims (dim%) appear to work ok in macros, but they cause "other" problems with my Leviton switches

The picture below is a clip that I took from 2 Activity monitor files. 

1) The first column "Command" shows what I was sending to the interface.
2) The Data from "Leviton HCA02 Repeater off" shows the activity monitor results with the interface off.  Everything worked fine here.
3) The data from "Leviton HCA02 Repeater on" shows three "receives" by the activity monitor (highlighted red).  I refer to these as "wrap back" from the repeater (although I don't completely understand why it occurs).  I believe these "receives" are confusing AHP into thing that the light is at a level lower than it is.  The yellow entries show where AHP is trying to compensate for the "wrap back receives' and is actually issuing a "Bright" command when you are telling it to "Dim".

As I said previously, this is what drove me toward the extended code Dim/Bright commands.  I am very happy with their performance.  I am, however, very interested in whether other forum members see this with different repeaters (is this just a HCA02 problem).

Boiler
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:44:51 PM by Boiler »

tom j

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »

Tom j.
Check the manual, page 33. Don't you have a "Set Absolute" button?

hmm are you talking about a macro? I'm talking about using the sliders in the software itself. Thanks!

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »

hmm are you talking about a macro? I'm talking about using the sliders in the software itself. Thanks!

Tom j.

Yes, Sorry.
Did you see Boiler's response? Do you have a repeater? Otherwise I agree with you and Dan....it sounds like a software problem, if the actual action is totally opposite your slider action.

Boiler

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »

Dave and Tom,

What I was trying to say above is that I see "Opposite commands" when I use a Macro or the Module Slider.  When I turn off the Leviton repeater the problem goes away.  Unfortunately, without the repeater I can't reliably transmit to the entire house.

Tom - if you have a repeater, try disabling it and repeating your test. 

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »

Bright and Dim commands are very difficult for a repeater to handle properly due to the fact that they deviate from normal X10 protocol.  Most repeaters skip alternate bright/dim commands that are part of a sequence, resulting in a different command from the one that was sent.  That's why I spent a lot of time trying to get it right in the XTB-IIR.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.