Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Different X-10 signals sent to different appliance modules?  (Read 5423 times)

myron18

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Different X-10 signals sent to different appliance modules?
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »

Other than trying to keep track of  modules, are there any other reasons to select different modules when writing a program? Are the same signals sent by the CM15A to a AM486 2 pin module, AM466 3 pin module, Lev 6291 fluorescent switch, etc? Also, if lamps are always used at 100% brightness, can I write all programs as though I were only using AM486 modules?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Different X-10 signals sent to different appliance modules?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

AHP/CM15A sends the same signals regardless of type.   The only difference between lamp and appliance modules is appliance modules cannot be dimmed.  Something to remember when constructing timers and macros.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

Yes, most of the signals are the same.  I actually use 3-pin appliance modules on my lamps with CFL bulbs and told AHP they are Socket Rockets.  Works great!   :)%
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:18:38 AM »

I have to tell AHP my Ws456's are lamp modules. Cause for some reason AHP wont turn on a WS456 in a timer or macro.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »

Yes, most of the signals are the same....
Are the 2 way lamp modules that support extended codes sent extended codes when one sends an absolute dim to them?

...I actually use 3-pin appliance modules on my lamps with CFL bulbs...
Isn't X10 marketing the appliance module as a CFL lamp module now? It's still just an appliance module, right? i.e. The "CFL module" doesn't respond to an "All Lights On", right?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »

NO Appliance Module responds to  "All Lights On" regardless of type.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

Are the 2 way lamp modules that support extended codes sent extended codes when one sends an absolute dim to them?
I'm not sure about this as I don't have any to play with, but maybe by monitoring AHP's output one could find the answer.

Isn't X10 marketing the appliance module as a CFL lamp module now? It's still just an appliance module, right? i.e. The "CFL module" doesn't respond to an "All Lights On", right?
Assuming it is a standard appliance module and X10 hasn't modified it in any way then you are correct that it wouldn't respond to an "All Lights On" command.  It would be interesting to hear from someone who has bought the "CFL Lamp Module" if it in fact does or doesn't.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:55:10 PM »

...... It would be interesting to hear from someone who has bought the "CFL Lamp Module".

It would be interesting to "see" a module labled "CFL Lamp Module".
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »

The "CFL module" is just a good old X10 Appliance Module AM486, PAM01 with a "new" name.

BTW, some brands of CFL's will blink when off, a 4 watt night light plugged into the module (using a cube tap for both the night light and the lamp) will kill the blink.

myron18

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »

I just read the replies questioning whether appliance modules will work w/ an all lights on/off signal. Because of a problem with my CM15A, I'm temporarily using an X-10 model 020211 timer.I have a bank of fluorescent tubes controlled by an X-10 fluorescent light switch (can't remember the model number). I clicked "All Lights On" on the 020211 timer. and the fluorescent lights turned on. I assume the CM15A sends the same on signal as the 020211 timer.

To my knowledge, the X-10 fluorescent light switch and the other appliance modules, are solenoid switches. And since the opinion is that appliance modules can be used to turn incandescent lights on/off (no dimming), I can use a single appliance module to do all of my programming, which was my original  concern.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:52:16 AM »

The wall switch in your test; could be different than the Appliance Modules. Unless the very new ones are different. Appliance Modules do not switch on with a all lights on command but will turn off with an all units off command. Also the local control sensing circuit in them frequently causes then to go back on when turned off or flicker. As mentioned the 4 watt night light bulb most time is the cure. Unless you want to do mods to the appliance modules.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.