Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP and HOME LIGHTING CHANGEOUT TO Fluorescent lamps  (Read 5080 times)

SteveRF

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
AHP and HOME LIGHTING CHANGEOUT TO Fluorescent lamps
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »

OK, Been over a year since I have been here....
AHP functional but still after all this time not really reliable...
Now that everyone is replacing their home lighting with FLOURESCENT Bulbs, I see lots and lots of flickering and things that probably should not be happening in our electrical system...
So, what is everyone doing ?  Is there a NEW, RELIABLE, NON-CLICKING, modules for use with CFL's....
Most all the lights in the home are being changed out.  This leaves us with less and less home automation because the modules were NOT made to control CFL's.
Even if they seem to, it is not a good idea.
Let's hear your ideas and suggestions.

Steve
Perdido Beach, AL
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:38:19 PM by SteveRF »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: AHP and HOME LIGHTING CHANGEOUT TO Fluorescent lamps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »

Is there a NEW, RELIABLE, NON-CLICKING, modules for use with CFL's....
No.
The "CFL module" that  X10 periodically advertises, appears to be a standard Appliance module, undoubtedly with the same old CLICK. 
I use Socket Rockets with CFL's with out problems.
I also drive CFLs installed in outside "Coach" lamps from WS467's,  but have a nightlight in the same socket as the CFLs so the WS467s gets enough "dribble" current to operate. Obviously dimming the WS467s is out of the question.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:15:47 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

SteveRF

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »

Dave, Thanks for the reply.
That is not very good news though.  After all this time being away from the forum and the massive lighting replacements going on,
I would have thought X10 would be trying to get ahead of the game.
Considering all the noise generated by CFL's, I guess reliability for the AHP systems will get worse.
I now have 3 battery backup systems, 3 computers with noisey power supplies and numerous other devices around the home that may be noise makers.
It is just not reasonable to expect users to place filters on all these devices.
Now that I have replaced incandescent with CFL's, almost exclusively in my home, things are looking rather dim for reliable control.
I am beginning to have a very sinking feeling unless there is something new on the AHP horizon... something very new and revolutionary.

Steve
Perdido Beach, AL

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »

SteveRF

Did you miss this thread?

Converting An Existing X10 System To Work With CFLs

X10 isn't going to help us but we can certainly do a lot ourselves!
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

SteveRF

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »

Thanks OldTimer,

Yes, I have missed lots.  Have been away from the forum for a year or so...
My Home Automation system reliability has been slowly degraded due to introduction of CFL's

Thanks for the reference to the CFL's info.  I have read through it once and will need to re-read before I do anything.
Since incandescents are on the way out and CFL and LED lighting is replacing them, I suppose I will just build the house lighting for "Greenness" and then let X10 fall where it may.
After everything gets replaced, we will see if anything works with any sense of reliability and repeatability.
It will be a fun test and trouble shooting effort.

Many Thanks for your reply

Steve
Perdido Beach, AL

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

Considering all the noise generated by CFL's, I guess reliability for the AHP systems will get worse.
It is just not reasonable to expect users to place filters on all these devices.

Well considering the inexpensive cost of home automation using X10, the filters are not a bad addition.

Now that I have replaced incandescent with CFL's, almost exclusively in my home, things are looking rather dim for reliable control.

I have a ton of noise generators in our home, and only a couple of homemade filters. (microwave and big screen TV were my biggest offenders) My phlosophy is not to try to stop the noise, but instead transmit the PLC signals at such a high level that they override the noise. It works well in my case.

My solution is an ACT CR234 amplifier coupler. IMHO X10, Leviton, and Smarthome repeaters do not cut the mustard. They are a waste of money.

Jeff Volps XTB II is also a great flame thrower which will over ride most noise. In fact I think the XTB should be "required by X10" for multi room or multi house code systems. 

Considering the much higher cost of the newer control systems, don't count X10 out yet.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

SteveRF

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for your input.
Your solution was a ACT CR234 but you think the XTB should be required by X10 ?
Enlighten me a tiny bit.... been away for over a year... What is the XTB and where can I find a link to the XTB and a CR234 spec?

My other issue would still be with the X10 wall controllers built for incandescents... probably not a good idea to force them to control CFL's ?
I would have thought X10 woudl have a controller ready by now...
Imagine if our Automakers continued to ignore the higher fuel prices...which they did way too long...  now they are in a MESS...
I would expect a similar decline with X10.

Many Thanks,
Steve
Perdido Beach, AL

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

Hey SteveRF nice to see you back JeffVolp makes the unit he has a child board here   Powerline Control Reliability PMing him will get you all the info you need! ;)
X10 Transmit Booster (XTB) homepage
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:54:55 AM by JeffVolp »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

SteveRF

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »

Thanks...
Nice to see your still here...
Hope all is well with you and family (and your HA !)

Steve
Perdido Beach, AL

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.