Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting Door/Window sensors?  (Read 6557 times)

gcpdpaul

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Mounting Door/Window sensors?
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »

Hey everyone!

I am Brand New to the X10 community as I just received my first X10 console.  I have searched the forum and have not found an answer to my question. 

When I started to line up my door/window sensors to mount them, I noticed that because of the molding around my doors, my sensors will not be flush with each other.  They are about 1/8 to 1/4 inches off (molding side is higher than the actual door.

I am just curious...... do these sensors need to be 100% flush with each other to operate correctly, or will the max of 1/4 inch off be enough to keep the signal between the one mounted on the door and the one mounted on the molding.

Thanks in advance!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Mounting Door/Window sensors?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 04:59:30 AM »

Hi gcpdpaul and welcome to the Forum and the world of X10.

I am just curious...... do these sensors need to be 100% flush with each other to operate correctly, or will the max of 1/4 inch off be enough to keep the signal between the one mounted on the door and the one mounted on the molding.

The DS10A sensor has a slight forgiveness. You can experiment with the unit with battries and see the red light trigger. The unit will alllow to what may seem just under an 1" in separation until the light will trigger. This will give some play in case a door is not 100% tight, or in my case a customer may try to come to my establishment and upon noticing that we might be closed but still proceeds to shake the main to door to see if it was open, that has never triggered my DS7000 unit. I also did notice that It should be always wise to keep the two contacts parallel to each other for best result, but a little higher or at slight angle should be fine but don't set them to the maximum distance apart, as time goes and batteries wear down may lead to a problem until fresh battries are them applied. If you search the Forum, look for Dave X10_L and his chair, he used a contact to activate his home automation every morning when he sat on his reclining chair -:). There is not limit to the uses of these Sensor/contacts. Good luck and feel free to ask question around here, we are all looking to earn a "Thank for Help" points in doing our part. rofl
BaBaLou.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:05:50 AM by BaBaLou. »

gcpdpaul

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »

Thanks!

I actually just finished installing the system and have been playing with it.  It seems like the sensors are pretty forgiving when it comes to the spacing.  I am running into another issue now though.

When I arm my system from either the console or the key fob, one of my powerhorns sounds for about 4 seconds (acts as if it was activated) and then the system arms itself.  Any clue as to what could be causing it?

Thanks again

gcpdpaul

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »

Well I think I answered my own question.  I had them set to the same unit code as the system and the lights, so everytime I would arm it, it would send an on/off code to the lights, and would trigger the powerhorns.

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 06:24:51 PM »

Glad to help and glad to help yourself. It took many of us many times to get these things to work just the way we want them too and so with a little patients and forum reading you will find yourself fixing your own mistakes.
good luck
BaBaLou.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.