Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 PS561 Consoles Fail  (Read 17811 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
2 PS561 Consoles Fail
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »

Just had two consoles fail! they were about 5 years old but I think that's pretty poor overall quality. I would think they should of lasted at least 10 years, not based on the cost but because you depend on it so much. Probably some little inexpensive component but a failure is a failure. The first one started out with false alarms and while setting up and testing a friends system I noticed that it would also trigger an alarm with unregistered motion/door sensors. The other one wouldn't even register more then one Motion detector, believe it or not I have three of these so I'm currently using the one I just recently purchased got it when they had that 49.99 deal for a console and a motion detector/window door sensor plus remote. Boy really glad I did my wife told me I had enough of these but I actually had one as a backup and the third one I wanted to use on a property I plan working on. X10 please improve your quality or design, they did really improve the quality on the motion detectors, the MS10a's  but I just never suspected any problems with the consoles.

Tom j.

>*<
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:01:57 PM by tom j »

tom j

Re: 2 PS561 Consoles Fail
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:01:53 AM »

Anyone else have one of these fail? and if so how old was it. Guess I'll have to really get in gear and complete my other system, but I still need a few more components. Well x10 still has that 50 dollar deal so I might have to pick up another backup system.   rofl  (crying!)

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:04:19 PM »

I'm thinking possibly the failures are related to HEAT if you feel the bottom of the PS561 it gets quite warm, so my thinking is it's like putting your delicate electronics in a slow cooker and placing them on simmer for 5 years  :o  Seriously there's no ventilation in this thing I'm wondering if it would help if you drilled some holes in the bottom of course you would have to disassemble it to make sure you don't damage anything and even possibly a small fan might help. Most alarm consoles I've seen including wireless are DC with a separate transformer always wondered why but know I think I know, it keeps you from slow cooking your console. Well what do you guys think is there any way we can cool this thing down to prolong the life of it. I know they probable have the transformer on board so it can send the powerline signals directly over your house wiring but I have seen unit's with separate transformers do the same thing. I know the separate transformer setup wouldn't be as ascetically pleasing but I'm concerned about longevity here.

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »

.......... if you feel the bottom of the PS561 it gets quite warm........ I'm concerned about longevity here.

Your right it does get warm!  Years ago... an old electrician friend used to complain about the shortness of the [rubber] feet on electronic devices. He said: that if you didn't get things a half an inch up off a shelf [or whatever] air won't circulate enough air for cooling.

I just put a block under the back of my console. I think that might do the trick.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »

.......... if you feel the bottom of the PS561 it gets quite warm........ I'm concerned about longevity here.

Your right it does get warm!  Years ago... an old electrician friend used to complain about the shortness of the [rubber] feet on electronic devices. He said: that if you didn't get things a half an inch up off a shelf [or whatever] air won't circulate enough air for cooling.

I just put a block under the back of my console. I think that might do the trick.

Yep Yep! that's exactly what I usually do, you got it Dave-x10 but you know I'm still not sure if thst it cools it enough. Well seems like I actually have 1 1/2 defective units I found that one of the problems was because I wasen't generating new security codes that's why it was recognizing motion detectors that I hadn't registered when I generated new security codes that problem went away, but there's still a problem with disarming the unit. Still can't understand why the other one wouldn't register more the one motion detector I'll see if I can figure this one out, but it was acting real screwy before I retired it.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:42 PM »

UPDATE

Well looks like the one that would only recognized one motion detector appears to be working fine at least for now the other one is fried it gives a false alarm about every 10 minutes with a proven motion detector, going to leave the one that appears to be working now hooked up for a while just to see. Maybe part of the problem was that I hadn't generated new codes for it but it was acting up before I retired it but I can't remember specifically what it was doing now, but that's why I bought a new console. Maybe it's just starting to fail. I don't think I would trust it if I was going out of town or something.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »

Well tried the one I thought might be failing and it's toast can't register more the three devices so my original post stands 2 consoles FAIL!!!

Tom j.

gkamieneski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »

I too bought another console for the $49 deal.  Both of my first 2 consoles lasted an average of 5 years each.  I have returned this current console 3 times for an operational problem contrary to the usage documentation and contrary to how my first 2 consoles operated.  These latest consoles will not arm in delay mode from the button on the console, IF the last remote that disarmed the system was a keychain remote.  IF you disarm with the larger keypad remote that is set to MAX, the console will arm from itself in delay mode.  Now, if you want to arm in delay, you must leave the house using the larger keypad remote.  My feeling is that the manufacturer has made a firmware change and the documentation hasn't caught up.  I just wish I could still leave the house in delay by conveniently hitting the Arm button on the console.  I would be interested to learn if others are in agreement on this.

tom j

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 06:38:12 AM »

I too bought another console for the $49 deal.  Both of my first 2 consoles lasted an average of 5 years each.  I have returned this current console 3 times for an operational problem contrary to the usage documentation and contrary to how my first 2 consoles operated.  These latest consoles will not arm in delay mode from the button on the console, IF the last remote that disarmed the system was a keychain remote.  IF you disarm with the larger keypad remote that is set to MAX, the console will arm from itself in delay mode.  Now, if you want to arm in delay, you must leave the house using the larger keypad remote.  My feeling is that the manufacturer has made a firmware change and the documentation hasn't caught up.  I just wish I could still leave the house in delay by conveniently hitting the Arm button on the console.  I would be interested to learn if others are in agreement on this.

Hi gkamieneski! I also just bought another console to replace one of the two I had that failed  this one will dial out when you press the panic button it's not suppose to dial out unless armed but this one does it armed or not, gkamieneski could you try yours and tell me if it dials out when not armed when the panic button is pressed. Thanks

Tom j.

gkamieneski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »

Tom,

I haven't had them dialing out for awhile after many false alarms.  When I get a unit that works correctly as far as arming delayed from the console, I'll try this for you.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.