Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard 4 camera system  (Read 3555 times)

cj4331

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard 4 camera system
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »

I just purchased a package with 2 black and white low light and 2 color cameras, 2 ninjas and the Vanguard software.  I hooked up one B/W camera and one color to the ninjas and had them displaying on my tv.  I'm not too picky about the quality of the picture and thought they weren't bad.  However after installing the Vanguard software I moved it to my pc and I am really disappointed with the pictures.  They aren't nearly as nice.  They are dull and not very crisp.  My $20 Creative USB Webcam makes a much nicer picture.  I don't see many settings but I did find resolution which was 352X288 I think.  That's the same as the webcam.  I tried setting it to 640X480 and it wasn't any better.  I gave up for the night.

I started back at it again today and before writing this email to double check myself I again tried adjusting the resolution and my pc just turned off!  Jjust clunk and it was off and started booting up again.  No shutdown or anything.  What the heck?  After booting again I tried again and again it turned off.  So I'm not too happy with that.  I have yet to try viewing the cameras remotely--that's another must.  But I'm afraid I will not be happy if the resolution can't be improved a bit.  What do y'all have to say about the resolution issue?.  There's nothing wrong with my PC--it's windows XP. 

I'd also thought though it's hard to know from the X10 web site exactly what each thing does that the Vanguard system would run macros and also be useful for turning on lights and use as a security system of sorts but I don't see much to suggest it will.  It seems like all it does is display the cameras.  Still I like the remote control of the cameras idea a lot but I'm afraid I might end up sending it back if it doesn't work any better than this.

cj4331

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Vanguard 4 camera system
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »

Maybe it's that the PC screen is a much higher resolution and when it stretches the pic to fit it looks much worse than on the TV.  Also I'm viewing it much closer.

I'll keep playing with it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.