Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to order software only  (Read 47068 times)

betatester

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to order software only
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »

How can I order the software OnAlert and Myhouse without the hardware (which is pretty useless here in The Netherlands, Europe)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: How to order software only
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »

You can't.  The software X10USA sells is for the US and Canada only . It will not work with European hardware for the X10 protocol.   Sorry.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

betatester

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:39:53 AM »

I thought that the X10-protocol is a worldwide standard. Only the controller (CM15A in my case) will  be different, but the software is exactly the same. I know that my old controller (CM11) worked with dutch and englisch software.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »

X10 only bundles the software with the hardware. Also you don't physically get the software. All you get is a download link to use to install it that uses a Order Number key.
X10 Europe uses a different RF frequency so a US RF stuff would not work. Also the modules as you must know are 220 volt.
We have seen references to a modified AHP software that matches the European modules different features.
The basic X10 protocol is the same on the power line. The RF varies where you are as does the basic input voltage.

betatester

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »

I know that, but all the Onalert does is read the X10 codes from the CM15Pro. Different RF-frequency and Line-Voltage are handled by the CM15Pro itself. The interface signals between the computer and the CM15Pro are identical for EU or US models.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:02:17 AM by betatester »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »

True, but X10 still only bundles software with the hardware. Not sold alone.
I believe there is a few add on bundles but I don't think this is what you really wanted.
http://www.activehomepro.com/plugins/plugin-onalert.html#pp
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 09:12:57 AM by Brian H »

betatester

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »

I saw those bundles (which are indeed useless to EU-users), and that is exactly the reason for me to put my request here in the forum.
Activehomepro.com is giving licenses for their software to EU-manufacturers, and for me it is strange that OnAlert cannot be ordered here?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »

I suspect it's a licensing issue.  The X10 standard is a world-wide (but still is licensed, X10USA holds the license for the US & Canada) and X10Europe holds the license for there. There's another X10 company for the British. 

betatester

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »

I have no idea. That could well be the issue here.
The only thing I know about the EU compared to the US is that we pay double the price for half the goods with a quart of the possibilities.  ;D

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »

Since AFAIK X10 Europe is still selling a serial interface, but you can get a version of AHP and the USB CM15A from Marmitec The US OnAlert may work with their version of AHP or it may not.

You might inquire from Marmitec if it might, they may know.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:41:31 AM by Dan Lawrence »

betatester

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »

This is what the dutch site (english language) says in the FAQ: http://www.marmitek.nl/en/klantenservice/answer.php?product=415&faq=1338
So I cannot order plugins here in the Netherlands. However, I do have a US version of the ActiveHomePro software with the OnAlert plugin, but without registration codes.

To be honest. These idiot policies make people hack. I want to buy the software legally, but there is no way to get it. Makes me mad and sad sometimes.

Boiler

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 01:03:35 PM »

This is what the dutch site (english language) says in the FAQ: http://www.marmitek.nl/en/klantenservice/answer.php?product=415&faq=1338
So I cannot order plugins here in the Netherlands. However, I do have a US version of the ActiveHomePro software with the OnAlert plugin, but without registration codes.

To be honest. These idiot policies make people hack. I want to buy the software legally, but there is no way to get it. Makes me mad and sad sometimes.

betatester,

While I feel your pain, I should also point out that, here in the States, the CM15a/Activehome Pro package was out roughly 2 years prior to the SmartMacro addition.  The Onalert and other plugins were later still.

The Markitek AHP/CM15 package is a relatively new product.  From what I've seen, Marmitek (or someone) has done a nice job customizing the AHP interface to your European modules.  There are features included in this package that aren't available in the States.  Given that, I have to believe that Marmitek does have plans for introducing the additional plugins. 

Be patient and give them some time to do things right.  If you are serious about helping them push things along - volunteer as a "betatester"

betatester

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »

I volunteered as betatester and this was their reply:

At this moment we know nothing about OnAlert
Via www.marmitek.com you can subscribe to our newsletter, which will keep you informed

translated by me as

We can't be bothered

A typical Marmitek reply to their customers.

Kaptan

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »

Rather than start a new thread along the same lines, I'll just jump in here with a similar problem. :)+

I am in Australia with a CM15+AHP & SC28 Security Console.

I just got excited and purchased from a USA reseller the following;
MS14A EagleEye Motion Sensor
MS10A Security Motion Sensor
DS10A DoorWindow Sensor
KR22A Credit Card Controller
KR10A Security Keyfob Remote
SS13A StyleSwitch

I tried the KR22A, KR10A, SS13A; but none of them worked. So is this an incompatible RF issue?
Will I have the same problems as betatester in that the OnAlert software will not work with my CM15+AHP?

Will either of the MS14A, MS10A, DS10A work with my setup?
I did read that someone had problems with the DS10A & CM15; any thoughts on this?

I can purchase most of the stuff locally, but the prices are absurd. :o
If I can save a few bucks I'd like to keep what is compatible, and return the rest.

I'll put it down to a learning curve. :'

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »

True, but X10 still only bundles software with the hardware. Not sold alone.
I believe there is a few add on bundles but I don't think this is what you really wanted.
http://www.activehomepro.com/plugins/plugin-onalert.html#pp

Maybe this is just semantics.  I thought you can buy the plugins for around US$50 each. 

Of course, X10 is deals, deals, deals.  There are some bonus hardware extras thrown in with the purchase of a US$50 plugin.   There are some hardware packages that throw in a plugin for free.

However, I don't think there is any "required" hardware for the plugins like Smart Macros, and myHouse, and they can be purchased separately.

BTW, I think the latest version of AHP has all the plugins already in the installed code.  One just needs to enter a valid Registration Code to activate it.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.