Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are the X10 cameras a 1/3 ccd? how many TV lines do they equal?  (Read 17709 times)

ajusaf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Are the X10 cameras a 1/3 ccd? how many TV lines do they equal?
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »

comparing there cameras to the IR cameras out there that have 420 to 480 tv lines and IR lighting

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Are the X10 cameras a 1/3 ccd? how many TV lines do they equal?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:35:06 AM »

comparing there cameras to the IR cameras out there that have 420 to 480 tv lines and IR lighting

Check out this link: http://www.x10.com/support/faq_camera.htm (thanks Chris S.).

I use the little X10 cameras... BOTH wired and wireless. They're great, tough, little workhorses... that don't cost much and easily intergrate into my Home Automation. BUT if your looking for TOP-OF-THE-LINE, see in the dark, long range, read the date on a coin at 20 feet quality.... check out the Sentinel.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »

Just for clarification, the X10 cameras do not use CCDs, they use CMOS sensors.  That's one reason why the camera image becomes very grainy under low light conditions.

ajusaf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »

thanks guys.  got the info 310 tv lines is a bit outdated.  i have x10 cameras and that explains why they don't look so great  due to tv lines and cmos.  You can get good cameras  at 50-80 dollars with 20-30 IR with a 1/3 ccd and 420 tv lines.  i might incorprate the x10 software along with the modern cameras

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »

thanks guys.  got the info 310 tv lines is a bit outdated.  i have x10 cameras and that explains why they don't look so great  due to tv lines and cmos. 

Maybe.... Maybe not... I have a high-def LCD TV and I guess, compared to the resolution abilities of the newer TV's 310 lines may seem "outdated"(?). I am sure that is something all security camera manufactures will have to address sooner or later. But the images I get from my X10 cameras are sharp and clear.

You can get good cameras  at 50-80 dollars with 20-30 IR with a 1/3 ccd and 420 tv lines.  i might incorprate the x10 software along with the modern cameras

I have seen some pretty decent deals on 1/4" CCD (and 1/3" CMOS)... but I didn't think Sony had released control of the 1/3" CCD to a point where good ones had become "cheap". I have used other cameras (besides X10) in my camera setup... and there isn't anything wrong with that. Using AHP and good macros makes the integration easier/better.

The really GOOD thing about IR cameras: You don't need additional outside lighting to use them. The really BAD thing about IR cameras: People generally fail to provide the extra outside lighting that is known to deter crime. Deterring crime... is what cameras are all about. If a potential intruder can't see the camera... he won't be deterred.

Don't lose sight of the forest because because all those darn trees block the view! It may be a bit cheaper and easier to hang a IR camera than to have a good motion sensing floodlight installed. And... if getting a sharp video image recorded is the goal... IR is the way to go. But if the goal is NOT getting your backdoor kicked open and your home intruded... deterring the intrusion IS THE GOAL.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:57:58 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »

thanks guys.  got the info 310 tv lines is a bit outdated.  i have x10 cameras and that explains why they don't look so great  due to tv lines and cmos. 

Maybe.... Maybe not... I have a high-def LCD TV and I guess, compared to the resolution abilities of the newer TV's 310 lines may seem "outdated"(?).

As a side note, of useless value,   :D  typical over-the-air analog broadcast television reception is about 300 lines...on a good day. It leaves the broadcast camera at greater than 500 lines, but after studio losses, modulation, and transmission it degrades. Record it on your VCR and it drops to around 250 lines. FWIW.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.