Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Floodcam Results so far are great!  (Read 30101 times)

rtejral

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Floodcam Results so far are great!
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »

After reading the comments like these floodcams are terrible and the post from Engineer saying how much trouble he was having with false triggering, I felt compelled to write regarding how good it works. ;D

First installed the floodcam on detached garage, looking down driveway.  Set address to same code as other X-10 floodlights I have on the garage.  Instantly had trouble with floodcam triggering the onther floodlights.  So, floodcam switched to an address that nothing else was on and eureaka! Success.  The X-10 Floodcam works great.

No false triggering of lights or camera.  Motion is sensed at about 25 to 30 feet out.  Turn off after about 1 minute (I have the on-time set to minimum).
I have the other setting about mid-dial.  Seems to about right, lights trigger on by motion about 1/2 hour before dusk light level.  Note: This setting does allow lights to trigger on on cloudy days too.  May want to set a bit darker.

Camera quality is okay, about what you would expect for a low res color picture.  Camera is not low light rated so, night picture is pretty dark even with floods on.  Overall, you can see motion, and what is causing (i.e. person, cat, dog etc.), what they are wearing, but you cannot make out for sure facial details.  In other words, you are not going know whether the guy has a mole or has shaved today, but you can tell if someone is prowling around.

I have the V36 video receiver.  It works acceptably and it is about 50 feet from the floodcam, near the outside wall that "sees" the garage.

I recommend this product to anyone looking for a low cost solution to X10 floodlighting with prowler cam.

Rick >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Floodcam Results so far are great!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »

Thank you for sharing your good experience with the Floodcam. Always nice to hear the good things.

dellzip

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:32 PM »

After reading the comments like these floodcams are terrible and the post from Engineer saying how much trouble he was having with false triggering, I felt compelled to write regarding how good it works. ;D

First installed the floodcam on detached garage, looking down driveway.  Set address to same code as other X-10 floodlights I have on the garage.  Instantly had trouble with floodcam triggering the onther floodlights.  So, floodcam switched to an address that nothing else was on and eureaka! Success.  The X-10 Floodcam works great.

No false triggering of lights or camera.  Motion is sensed at about 25 to 30 feet out.  Turn off after about 1 minute (I have the on-time set to minimum).
I have the other setting about mid-dial.  Seems to about right, lights trigger on by motion about 1/2 hour before dusk light level.  Note: This setting does allow lights to trigger on on cloudy days too.  May want to set a bit darker.

Camera quality is okay, about what you would expect for a low res color picture.  Camera is not low light rated so, night picture is pretty dark even with floods on.  Overall, you can see motion, and what is causing (i.e. person, cat, dog etc.), what they are wearing, but you cannot make out for sure facial details.  In other words, you are not going know whether the guy has a mole or has shaved today, but you can tell if someone is prowling around.

I have the V36 video receiver.  It works acceptably and it is about 50 feet from the floodcam, near the outside wall that "sees" the garage.

I recommend this product to anyone looking for a low cost solution to X10 floodlighting with prowler cam.

Rick >!
Good deal, thanks!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »

Well I think I'll try another maybe they got the bugs out by know anyone else have favorable results??

Tom j.

raster69273

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »

I have two of them. Both are mounted on a detached garage, one over the roll-up doors and the other above the man door. Both have individual addresses and have been in use successfully for over 6 years. I would really like them to have audio. I will buy two more when they put audio capabilities in them!

mreed732

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »

It works great unless you are using the Vanguard Internet Control Center with it.  Anyone else having problems with the Floodcam + VICC?  My Floodcams never turn off as long as the VICC is running.  Turn off VICC and the floodcams work perfectly.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »

I love my floodcam over my garage.

There's only one strange thing.  When motion is detected, it turns on the light.  Then, after the time expires, like 5 nimutes, the light goes off, regardless of motion.  It then will not turn the light on for motion again until a few minutes go by...

Anyone else have this observation?

Maybe it's a setting?

Thanks!
>!

x10elder

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »

Results not good at all.  My flood cam was 40 feet from the receiver and I barely got a picture.  Quality was terrible so much noise in picture that it was barely visible.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »

Wireless video is another issue entirely.   :'

I could never get great video quality with the X10 2.4 GHz system.  There is too much interference on 2.4 GHz.  I ended up wiring my X10 cameras.  Now I have a rock-solid picture.  This was necessary, because the video artifact was being seen as motion to my software, causing almost continual false triggering - either recording video or sending me an email.   B:(

>!

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »

I don't have much luck with my flood cams specially the picture. Video receiver is only25-30 ft. But no picture. It use to be but after a week it stopped. Now I use foscam. It does a good job except does not turn other lights etc on.

Sorry don't have good experience to report.

IPS

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.