Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What module to use to control an external hdd: ON/OFF  (Read 7074 times)

phongluu

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
What module to use to control an external hdd: ON/OFF
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:08:04 AM »

So I tried the lamp module LM465 to turned on my external hdd that connecting to my vip receiver: it turns on but my receiver cannot access it, it seem not enough current/voltage or something: the light on the external hdd shows dim/bright..

Will the appliance module work?
Or what should I use?

Thanks,
P.L

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What module to use to control an external hdd: ON/OFF
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:26:04 AM »

Using a lamp module that dims to control that type of device maybe a bad idea. Appliance module would be better. The modified AC from the Lamp Module can damage things not designed to dim.
Try a Appliance Module.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:20:53 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »

You may have made toast of your hdd by connecting it to a Lamp Module
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »

Can you use the hdd; if directly connected to the AC. That may indicate at least it was not damaged by the Lamp Module.

phongluu

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »

Nope! No toasting yet ;)

I plug back to AC and it works fine.
Anyone else think appliance module would work?

Is there any spec that I need to look for? Beside acting as a relay On/Off, what else that this module do? Oh.. dim too.

Thanks,
P.L

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »

Nope! No toasting yet ;)

I plug back to AC and it works fine.
Anyone else think appliance module would work?

Is there any spec that I need to look for? Beside acting as a relay On/Off, what else that this module do? Oh.. dim too.

Thanks,
P.L

Good - no toast.

The Appliance Module gives you a relay closure, no dim, so should work fine. As Brian noted it does continually run a very small amount of current through the load (your hdd power supply) for a feature called "Local Control". Sometimes the sensing current is enough to cause LED lights or CFL lights flicker dimly when the module is turned OFF. That should not effect your power supply.

Short answer: Yeah, Appliance Module is what you want.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »

.......... my external hdd that connecting to my vip receiver

.................Anyone else think appliance module would work?

Brian H and  dave w are BOTH long-time X10 users and really know their stuff! The X10 appliance module IS the way to go. My only concern is: You seem to be an X10 Newbie.

You didn't give a great deal of information about your setup. I would [have to] assume your desire is to turn your HD off to extend it's lifetime or [maybe] protect it from surge or spike conditions. Many people also use UPS's to additionally protect such devices. Please note: many "Battery Back-up Power Supplies" aren't compatible with X10 devices (like plug-in modules).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »

Yes both the Lamp and Appliance Modules use a Local Sensing current to have the feature of toggling the local lamp or appliances switch. To turn on the module controlling it if it is off.
If the Lamp Module was one of the New Soft Start ones. Your hdd was actually getting a slowly ramping up AC Line voltage; as it was turning on.
That may have added to your flickering power light on the unit.

Yes more data on you setup would be helpful as mentioned there are things that can make X10 flaky. UPS units are one and I have a X10 Type Filter on mine so it does not absorb X10 signals.

hpdrifter

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 05:07:45 PM »

.......... my external hdd that connecting to my vip receiver

.................Anyone else think appliance module would work?

Brian H and  dave w are BOTH long-time X10 users and really know their stuff! The X10 appliance module IS the way to go. My only concern is: You seem to be an X10 Newbie.

You didn't give a great deal of information about your setup. I would [have to] assume your desire is to turn your HD off to extend it's lifetime or [maybe] protect it from surge or spike conditions. Many people also use UPS's to additionally protect such devices. Please note: many "Battery Back-up Power Supplies" aren't compatible with X10 devices (like plug-in modules).

By compatible do you mean they absolutely can't be in the system, need a filter where they connect, or you can't have an X10 device connected to a protected outlet on one?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:11:40 PM »

Most UPS units have a surge and noise suppression filter in them. X10's 120 KHz. line signals are considered noise to them and it will be absorbed.
You should use a filter designed for X10 signals between the UPS and the wall outlet. Many surge strips have filters in them that also can do X10 signals in.
Using a filter not made to be used with X10 signals may also make things worse.
I have a Smarthome 10 Amp one on my APC BX1000 UPS and a few of the 5 amp X10Pro ones on things like LCD TVs.

hpdrifter

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »

Ok, thanks Brian.  Appreciate the help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:48 AM »

............. or you can't have an X10 device connected to a protected outlet on one?

I haven't ever tried it.... but I was under the understanding that with many UPS units... you can't plug a X10 module in the battery back-up power. The (as I've been told) square wave battery AC (when running on battery power) will cause the module smoke... and lose all it's magic.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »

Even when on AC power. The Input Filters and surge protection in an UPS will remove all the X10 signals and anything on the UPS output will not see any signals.
As Dave mentioned some UPS units on battery can fry a module. Again it depends on the UPS in question. I tried an old TM751 on a few UPS units. None passed the X10 signal to the out put. On battery most just didn't function; except one. That one started the TM751 to SMOKE.  :'(  ::)  :'

phongluu

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »

OK, thanks for all of your inputs.

Perhaps, I wasn't clear enough. here it is again:

I have an external hard-drive that connecting to a Dish network receiver vip622. It acts as an extra space (750GB hdd) for its DVR to record and play back.
The external hdd required external power to run (not thru its USB port) via 110v AC to 12v DC, .5A

Now, I want something to turn On/Off this hdd with remote, since I dont want to leave it on all the time (it's hot).

OK, So I'm trying to get an appliance module now, and the site x10.com confuse the heck out of me (Yes, i am a newbiee with this)

http://www.x10.com/automation/am486_s.html

So is it AM486, or AM14A ?

Thanks,
P.L

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »

The web page may have an error on it. The link is for a AM486 Two Pin [no ground pin] Appliance Module.
Why the "what you get" part says AM14A [the two way one] that has been discontinued for a time now. I don't know.  :'  ::)
My guess it is the AM486.
On the Automation catalog page there is no AM14A Appliance or LM14A Lamp Modules listed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:41:44 PM by Brian H »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.