Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with Plasma interference with Motorola DVR  (Read 35570 times)

KennaK

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with Plasma interference with Motorola DVR
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »

I am at my wit's end!  ???  We bought a Panasonic 50" Plasma TH-50PX75U television about 2 months ago.  We have a Motorola HD Dual Tuner/DVR DCH 3416 leased from Charter cable.  Long story short, after visits from a TV technician and a charter tech, and emails to Motorola and Panasonic, it's been decided that the reason my DVR remote will not work is because of the interference with the RF coming out of the plasma interferes with RF coming out of other devices.  We have a Bose Digital Home Theatre Cinemate and a Panasonic DVD that are also in the living room.  However, even when they're off, the problem is still there.  You cover the TV up with a blanket, the DVR remote works fine.  Obviously, that's not practical.  It also works fine on our other TV's that are not plasma.  I've researched for weeks on the internet and came across this site.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this or if the Icon Remote would work.  I need one that transfers through Infrared and not RF.  I'm obviously not savy when it comes to electronics but would really appreciate any assistance anyone might have.

We've tried moving the DVR but are limited as to how far we can move it from the TV due to the size of our living room.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Help with Plasma interference with Motorola DVR
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »

...  We bought a Panasonic 50" Plasma TH-50PX75U television about 2 months ago.  We have a Motorola HD Dual Tuner/DVR DCH 3416 leased from Charter cable. 

Some Plasma TV's can/will create light in the Infra-Red spectrum.... that is near (or close enough) to the (human eye invisible) IR light that our [TV, DVR, DVD] remotes use.

Long story short, after visits from a TV technician and a charter tech, and emails to Motorola and Panasonic, it's been decided that the reason my DVR remote will not work is because of the interference with the RF coming out of the plasma interferes with RF coming out of other devices. 

Actually.... I think you mean: The new Plasma TV is creating IR interference.

I don't mean to sound "picky" about the term (IR as opposed to RF) but it's important you realize... you will be trying to block [invisible] "light" that is projected from your remote (AND the Plasma TV's screen).

We have a Bose Digital Home Theatre Cinemate and a Panasonic DVD that are also in the living room.  However, even when they're off, the problem is still there.  You cover the TV up with a blanket, the DVR remote works fine. 

Yes the blanket is apparently blocking enough of the IR light (emitted by the plasma TV) to allow the IR remote to [once again] work.

Obviously, that's not practical.  It also works fine on our other TV's that are not plasma.  I've researched for weeks on the internet and came across this site.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this or if the Icon Remote would work.  I need one that transfers through Infrared and not RF.  I'm obviously not savy when it comes to electronics but would really appreciate any assistance anyone might have.

We've tried moving the DVR but are limited as to how far we can move it from the TV due to the size of our living room.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

I would try shielding the DVR's IR port from the plasma TV's Light (the screen). Then use a X10 Power-Mid <link to get the remotes IR signal to the DVR. The X10 Power-Mids can even be used to control devices [like DVR's] that are tucked away behind cabinet doors.

I use a similar device to control equipment at the back of the room in my home theater. It was my home theater that caused me to find Home Automation [and X10]. This is cool stuff KennaK.... be prepared to have FUN. I really enjoy my Home Automation setup.

P.S. The Icon remote is AWESOME.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:03:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

KennaK

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »

Dave,
Thank you for your reply and assistance.  And yes, you're right, the plasma is creating IR interference, not RF.  Sorry about that.  I bought a wireless IR remote extender from Radio Shack a few weeks ago and that didn't fix it either.  I followed the directions to no avail!  I'm assuming that it's comparable to the X-10 Power-Mid.  I bought a Harmony 880 remote but haven't tried it yet.  We've tried moving the DVR as far behind the screen that we can and even tried putting it under a end table but the problem is still there.  Seems like it's OK for a time and then acts up again.  Guess I'll just have to try moving it again.

Oh, BTW, I love your home theatre set up.  Wish we had the time and know-how for that!

Thanks again for your help.   :D

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »

........... I bought a wireless IR remote extender from Radio Shack a few weeks ago and that didn't fix it either.  We've tried moving the DVR as far behind the screen that we can and even tried putting it under a end table but the problem is still there.  Seems like it's OK for a time and then acts up again.  Guess I'll just have to try moving it again.

Sounds like your half way to being fixed!

Find the DVR's IR port. It is the "place" where the IR light is received. Don't assume it's where is looks like it should be... check by looking through the red plastic with a flashlight. Cover the port [with black tape if need be] all except for a very small area... then cover that area with the Radio Shack IR emitter (or the extender device itself). Then set the extenders receiver away in a corner BEHIND the TV... shielded in a box [for testing] if needed.

P.S. Everything I know about Home Theaters.... I read on the Internet.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:49:17 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

fadetwoblack

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:14:18 PM »

This was a very interesting read.  I have all of the above issues.  I have Fios DVR and Panasonic Plasma.  Started experiencing remote control interference and was totally lost as to why.  I didnt realize I had moved the DVR box closer to bed a week ago and problems started,  THanks for your help I moved it back and all is well.  I was about to go down some very differnet paths including the dreaded Verizon phone call.  I owe all of you a beer for your help.

Thanks

jceeetle

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:54:22 PM »

I have the same remote problem with a FIOS HD (non-DVR) receiver. After reading this thread I did some more troubleshooting and accidentally found a different cause of the IR interference. My interference was caused by fluorescent lighting. I have recessed lights in my room and have fluorescent flood lamps installed. I've been having the interference issue intermittently. What I just discovered is when I dim or turn off the lights, the remote works perfect. Turn the lights on max and it barely works at all.

Funny thing is my TV is not affected by the IR noise like the FIOS receiver is. It always works fine with the same remote.

Time to investigate LED lighting or go back to the halogens bulbs.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »

On the surface this appears to be a Panasonic problem...has anyone contacted Panasonic about it? A side suggestion would be to try cutting back the screen brightness to see if the remotes IR signal can then get through.

Also as a test, not a solution, try changing screen size to see if that makes a difference (I *think* a plasma screen gets scanned similar to a CRT so am wondering if screen resolution might change the IR flicker rate).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.