Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door/Window sensor battery removal after arming  (Read 4872 times)

charz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Door/Window sensor battery removal after arming
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:10 PM »

Hey guys, I first posted this as a general question before purchase. X10 support assured me that this will not happen, but it does.

"Now, real problem, I installed one Door/Window sensor and the PowerStation and the remote command center and a keychain remote. Easy setup, only took a couple of minutes, maybe an hour. All test were good until I removed the batteries from the Door/Window sensor after arming the system. just as I feared, nothing happened. With the system armed, there is no notification of battery failure and the door could be opened and closed with NO ALARM. What this means is once you arm your system, if a set of batteries dies then you will never know, that station will not alert you until next arming. Looks like support was wrong, guess i will be contacting them tomorrow."

Someone please prove me wrong, I really would like to keep my new system but it will not work for me if it's that easy to disable.

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Door/Window sensor battery removal after arming
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

Here is the same responce as the other thread.

As tom j seems to be correct again on this one.
It seems you are protecting the outside from the inside. I guess it would not be appropriate to place the DS10A sensor on the outside of the Door/Window. Then Using the MS10A and have the unit facing the DS10A sensor, then anyone trying to not only remove the batteries, they can remove the whole DS10A alltogether. Hope that help.
BaBaLou.

charz

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:00:17 PM »

I never heard back from Tom J Last post said he was going to test it. Well I'm just concerned that the one night those batteries do go dead, I have no protection at that point. It seems that the design should be that any loss in power, signal or connection break would set off the alarm. You make a good point, I guess someone could take the whole DS10A and i would never know. Guess I will keep looking, thanks.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:38:54 AM »

if a set of batteries dies then you will never know, that station will not alert you until next arming.

Not quite - If the DS7000 does not receive the heartbeat (every hour) for I believe 4 hours, the cooresponding light will begin to flash.

Unless you buy a system that is wired, and the loss of the wired connection causes an alarm - you're in the same boat.  Cut the wire, no alarm.

Unless you buy a wireless system that sounds the alarm when a sensor doesn't send a heartbeat, you're in the same boat.  Certainly you wouldn't expect a wireless system to maintain a constant RF signal from all of its sensors???!!!?

Also, most of us (well maybe not Boiler   :') use our systems to prevent folks from entering by making noise and flashing lights to let them know they've been detected. 

If your system is intended to keep folks in - you got the wrong system - send it back. 

If your system is intended to keep folks from entering, and you've designed it so that someone can get to the batteries without being detected, you've designed it poorly, and probably should hire someone.

Lastly, if you (or anyone) is using, or intending to use, X10 devices and systems in a "You bet you're life" situation - you're in the wrong place, and using the wrong stuff..... and Dr. Phil wants to have you on his show!   rofl
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

charz

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »

Wow Pajama, your right. I left the batteries out and my system station light was flashing when i woke up this morning, don't know how I slept through that!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.