Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New software: iMeterX10 (freeware)  (Read 27346 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: New software: iMeterX10 (freeware)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 08:37:46 AM »

..... I'm trying to reduce a painful electricity bill by understanding where the money is being spent.   >!

Have you looked at a device like a kill-o-watt:  http://www.smarthome.com/9034/Kill-A-Watt-P4400/p.aspx
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 08:51:18 AM »

This software seems like an ideal answer to my power metering needs.  Unfortunately, as I'm not a EE by training, I'm not sure how to implement the current transformer -> power flash setup.  Could the OP or anyone else who understands how to construct this setup please post a schematic and/or photos?  I'm trying to reduce a painful electricity bill by understanding where the money is being spent.   >!
Have you downloaded the software?
There is a tutorial with pictures!
You most likely will need a device like the kill_o_watt Dave linked to so you can add the proper watts used for each device your wishing to monitor.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »

..... You most likely will need a device like the kill_o_watt Dave linked to so you can add the proper watts used for each device your wishing to monitor.

Even though in most cases I can calculate the cost of electric a device by read the UL tag info I am planning on purchasing a Kill-O-Watt.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »

Even though in most cases I can calculate the cost of electric a device by read the UL tag info I am planning on purchasing a Kill-O-Watt.
I've been using a Kill-o-Watt Meter for several years now. It is far more accurate then the tags.
The tag is a standard tag and is only accurate for the quality tested device which may be one out of a thousand. ::) :'
One may find the energy hog by simply comparing the info from the two.
However it may be the result of how much one is actualy using the device.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »

Nope, I didn't download the software since I didn't realize it was more than just an exe.  I purchased a clamp-on adapter for my DMM to measure current but found it was pretty inaccurate.  I also purchased a Kill-o-watt and found that it displayed nearly exactly the same wattage that I expected (testing light bulbs).  Thanks for all the info!

billcoff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »

I really like iMeterX10 and I have already found a major use for it - calculating the cost of running my spa. I have a timer set to run in the CM15 to turn the spa on at 3:00 AM and off at 5:00 AM. I get in at 4:30 AM and the spa will be close or at temperature -102 degrees. That is pretty much the only time I use it. Unfortunately, it appears my computer needs to be out of sleep mode to record the history. Not sure I want to keep a computer running 24/7 to capture all events I am interested in recording. Are there any suggestions on how to get around this issue?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »

I've read that keeping the spa at temperature all the time is MUCH more efficient (and better for the equipment/water quality) than turning it off and then back on for the next use.  Do you have any experience to say that your way works better?  I'd really like to know!

billcoff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »

I've read that keeping the spa at temperature all the time is MUCH more efficient (and better for the equipment/water quality) than turning it off and then back on for the next use.  Do you have any experience to say that your way works better?  I'd really like to know!
I believe I am saving a significant amount by changing from keeping the spa temperature at a constant temperature to heating before I use it. I suppose it depends on how one uses their spa. If you want it at temperature any time you want to use it, it makes sense to keep it at an even temperature. I use mine the same way every day. I wake at 4:30 AM and get in the spa for 20 to 30 minutes. Recently, my utility company went to smart meters, which enables me to monitor my usage a bit more closely. I don't have a lot of data yet. I changed over during the middle of last months electric bill. Before the changeover, my average daily kilowatts for 11 days was 28 KW/day. The 11 days after I made the change, it dropped to 24 KW/day. I am getting a new spa cover and a floating spa blanket. In a month or so, I should have some pretty good data on the most efficient way to use the spa to meet my needs. Btw, I plan to keep my computer on 24/7 for a while. It only draws 63 watts. I was thinking about using a netbook or an old UMPC, but the UMPC drew 43 watts, so not really worth it. After a month or so, I can go back to putting my computer to sleep mode.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:00:05 PM by billcoff »

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »

... I believe I am saving a significant amount by changing from keeping the spa temperature at a constant temperature to heating before I use it. I suppose it depends on how one uses their spa. ...........
Btw, I plan to keep my computer on 24/7 for a while. It only draws 63 watts.

There are those that would advocate... not using ether a spa or a Home Automation PC (to save energy usage). I am NOT one of those people. I think I might.. maybe... save a watt or two usage here and there because of my macros and automation. But I prefer to think about the added value to my life because of the safety and convenience I get due to the automation.

Running a Home Automation Computer 24/7 with the right software can make your home smart enough to work for you.

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »

Can't get thje link for imeter to work would love to check it out anyone have any ideas  :'

thanks
KenRad

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »

This link worked for me: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TG622GF1
Unless you have an account @ megaupload you have to wait for the download button to appear under the premium download button!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

Yes the 45 second delay maybe missed by some.
The link to the .pdf does show how it works.

kenrad

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »

Thanks Guys, I missed the delay as you stated.  I appreciate the help

KenRAd :'

kenrad

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

Trying to set up imeter to monitor the cost to run specific devices in my home.  Can some one help me with the code to get it to caluculate the costs per day.  I followed the instructions and keep getting errors and it states that there is no history file.  also how many addresses can Imeter handle. 

Thanks
KenRad >!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.