Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A real X10 puzzler!  (Read 20484 times)

jtilley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
A real X10 puzzler!
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »

I have an extensive X-10 setup that has worked great for several years.... Suddenly most of the modules, all kinds, have stopped working! I subbed modules, no help... I change house codes... no help. I can turn units on using the wall switch modules but not using the command center modules... Certain lights work and a couple of appliance modules.... nothing else. I removed the bridge, no change. Any body have any ideas???? Thanks.... Jack ???

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: A real X10 puzzler!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »

I wrote a series of troubleshooting tutorials to help fellows like yourself.  It may be something as simple as a new cellphone charger that must be filtered.  Here is a link to the tutorials:

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »

I have an extensive X-10 setup that has worked great for several years.... Suddenly most of the modules, all kinds, have stopped working! I subbed modules, no help... I change house codes... no help. I can turn units on using the wall switch modules but not using the command center modules... Certain lights work and a couple of appliance modules.... nothing else. I removed the bridge, no change. Any body have any ideas???? Thanks.... Jack ???
What did you get new?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jtilley

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »

I wrote a series of troubleshooting tutorials to help fellows like yourself.  It may be something as simple as a new cellphone charger that must be filtered.  Here is a link to the tutorials:

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Jeff

I'll give it a sot... Thanks for the reply!

jtilley

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:00:25 PM »

What did you get new?

Nothing that I'm aware of! I was charging a cell phone but shut that down.... no help... Everything was working last evening but I noticed today that my sidewalk lights were on. When I tried to shut them down, I couldn't using any of my Maxi Controllers or Indigo software...

Thanks for the reply.... Jack

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:13 AM »

..............Everything was working last evening but I noticed today that my sidewalk lights were on. When I tried to shut them down, I couldn't

There ya go... are the sidewalk lights, one of those (big transformer units that then runs a heavy-duty [rip-cord] 12 volt) low voltage setups. Try unpluging it and see what happens.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »

I plugged a cheapo walmart power strip into a wall socket an it sucked the brains out of my x10 till I found it.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

jtilley

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE! I found the problem purely by accident. I have a intercom setup between the house & barn... I happened to go to the barn and heard something... it was the house end of the intercom, accidentally set to "monitor" position!!!! I blame the wife, she blames me... but that was the problem. They must occupy the same setup on the wiring. Once again, thanks for the suggestions. They are all safely tucked away for future use... Jack

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »

Glad you found it. I believe X10 has said intercoms that use the power line can also scramble X10 signals. One more thing to add to our Did you Check List.  ;D

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE! I found the problem purely by accident. I have a intercom setup between the house & barn... I happened to go to the barn and heard something... it was the house end of the intercom, accidentally set to "monitor" position!!!! I blame the wife, she blames me... but that was the problem. They must occupy the same setup on the wiring. Once again, thanks for the suggestions. They are all safely tucked away for future use... Jack

Is it by chance a Westinghouse intercom?  I had to stop using mine.  Even when no one was using the intercom I could hear the a loud rasp from the speaker during an X10 transmission.

Also, this from Smarthome:

"This Wireless Home Intercom System communicates via existing AC wires and will block X10 signals during the period that the intercoms are being used. They will not affect X10 operation if they're plugged in but are not transmitting sound." 

Jim Clark

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:02:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback jtilley . I had the same problem a year or so ago.

I came home from work and found that I was unable to controll any of my X10 devices. Absolutely nothing would work. My first thought was that one of my devices were stuck in the transmit position. I spent several hours removing batteries and unplugging devices. It was late that evening when I went into the bedroom that I noticed I could hear the TV coming through the intercom. I went to  the family room and unlocked the talk button and suddenly all of my X10 devices started to work again. Apparently one of the grand kids was over earlier in the day and had been playing with the intercom.

Quote from: Alan V
Is it by chance a Westinghouse intercom?  I had to stop using mine.  Even when no one was using the intercom I could hear the a loud rasp from the speaker during an X10 transmission.

My intercom is from Radio Shack and it only interferes with X10 when in transmit and I never hear the X10 signals through its speaker.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:04:47 AM by Jim Clark »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:15:26 PM »

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE! I found the problem purely by accident.

Well thank-you very much for reporting back. So many don't.... then we are left hanging here.... wondering what ever happened.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.