Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for Tester.  (Read 8786 times)

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Looking for Tester.
« on: October 04, 2008, 07:25:18 AM »

Hi folks,
hope its OK to ask this here. Remove if not. "I am Canadian"  and in my search for an X10 tester, the ELK, and now XPTR seem to be hard to find in stock at most distributors if not DISCONTINUED, not including x10 site (leave that for the fun stuff). Other items of interest are also filters and such. In my search as anyone would guess that there are more US sites offering things I am interested in. Any of our wonderful Canadian members who have past experience in having purchased items from any US sites, including eBay, Smarthome etc. and have been successful and would recommend. No question the main X10 site is a wonderful world of needs, and have no problem using them even through an affiliate, just hoping on an inside word on any whom have had no or min problems.
Many thanks
BaBaLou.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Looking for Tester.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »

Hi folks,
hope its OK to ask this here. Remove if not. "I am Canadian"  ..............

Fear ye not BaBaLou. Your among friends here.... and we're all in this together. the Automated Outlet (http://www.automatedoutlet.com/) as well as Smart Home (http://www.smarthome.com) are both fine dealers I have purchased (the hard to find items) from.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

BaBaLou.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »

Thanks Dave_x10_L,
frequent those sites and have noticed how the ESM1 is either discontinued or for rent. As well as the xppf is rising in price as well as being discontinued at Most Canadian suppliers. Just looking for a new name to check out. eBay stores are there. Most have good rating and fair prices on some testers, any feed back from anyone on those folks?
Thanks always for the heads up.
BaBaLou.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »

I think Smarthome's TesterLinc has also disappeared from their web site.  ???

And this one looks to rich for my liking.
http://www.smarthome.com/4814/X10-Powerline-Signal-Analyzer-XPSA/p.aspx
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 01:55:14 PM by Brian H »

BaBaLou.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more Brian H,so then,
                                                                                                                   -:)
              Why not those whom have used any kind of x10 meters from all range of prices and styles and give their review and opinion of the units they have experienced. Maybe it will help explain to me as well as others to understand not only the need but to understanding the reasons to justify the PRICE differences, if the WAF was not a factor. 

:)%      BaBaLou        :)%
            (Just Testing)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »

Here is the data on the ELK ESM-1:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/esm1.htm

Data on the TesterLinc for refference:
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/4819_web.pdf

I have used it and the Smarthome TesterLinc which seems to be gone now.
Both had plus points. The Testerlinc had a memory for previous messages and you could see traffic like over night when you where sleeping. Also gave displays like bad block and start code error messages. Also had a noise display that showed number of 120 KHz noise pules it received in .5 second intervals. Down side for me was the Signal Quality display was not directly related to the signal level.

The ESM-1 has a bar display and lowest bar is .1 volt and highest is 5.0 volts. So a lower than .1 volt signal may show as none but many modules will work at less than .1 volts relably. It also has a Good Message LED that indicates the proper X10 signal protocol was received. If the bars are constantly and randomly flickering it could be noise.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:36:25 PM by Brian H »

BaBaLou.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

UPDATE
Did get my hands on the XPTR, not bad of a unit, simple to use. Helping to understand and do diagnostics of my home system with this meter. Cant believe how I got this far without one.  Haven't seem much noise (yellow light) coming from anything new or filtered already just obvious coupler fix and a boosted signal. Did get my hands on the V572RF32 and then will be doing the next step with Jeff.

If you are serious about X10 and don't have an type of a X10 signal meter, do yourself a favour and get yourserf one, any one it is all based on your investment as is your X10 investment, You will save a lot of guessing time and most of all DISAPPOINTMENT with your setup and then all you want to do is give up. It does well to help map out your system and not only pinpoint problems is help to plan out any expansions and setups. YOU MAY THANK ME FOR IT. :'

As a Canadain, >! I ended up getting these from Aarteck. http://www.aartech.ca/, first time with them, fast delivery, a little on the premium price side. Still recommend.

BaBaLou. ;D

legal:No affiliation with any products or businesses mentioned above, BUT if your are from any of said Items, then feel free to thank me your way. I do recommend. rofl

"Thanks for the Help" guys ;D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 06:52:06 AM »

Thanks for the update and yes a signal meter can be a big help.  ;D

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »

I wonder why both the ESM1 and TesterLinc were discontinued at almost the same time...  Could it be that people have been using these tools to get their X10 systems working well, and don't have to buy new equipment?  Nah, the manufacturers wouldn't do something like that, would they?

As far as I know, the only testers left are the real basic one produced by X10 (also sold by Leviton), and the Monterey Power Line Signal Analyzer.  That is a very nice unit, but it is pretty expensive for most of us.

If there is enough interest, I might consider offering a basic meter that displays background noise level, signal strength, and good/bad commands.  With a simple LED bargraph display, a kit could be under $50.  For a few dollars more, a transmitter could be included to report line status in response to a query from an automation controller.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »

I'm in for one.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »

...If there is enough interest, I might consider offering a basic meter that displays background noise level, signal strength, and good/bad commands.  With a simple LED bargraph display, a kit could be under $50...
I don't remember what I paid for my ESM1 but I'm betting with your experience that you could come up with one that was at least as good and probably more useful than the old ESM1!  Put me down as interested!

...For a few dollars more, a transmitter could be included to report line status in response to a query from an automation controller...
Hmm... Tell us more about this idea.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:40:42 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »

...For a few dollars more, a transmitter could be included to report line status in response to a query from an automation controller...
Hmm... Tell us more about this idea.

Well, I was thinking the tester could be left plugged in to monitor the powerline.  When sent a command, such as "P Status Request" it could respond with "P (unit code)" where the unit code would correspond to the signal level.  Other commands could be used to select whether to read the X10 signal level or the background noise level.  It might also issue a command by itself whenever there is a sudden jump in background noise level to help identify the culprit.  These are just ideas that I have been kicking around.

A device like this is a long way off - hardware design and months of firmware development.  It would also require a substantial investment in PCBs and a custom case, so it may not happen unless there is a lot of interest.  I think I would mount it in the thin version of the XTB case so it could either be directly plugged into the wall, or hand held using a short extension cord.

Jeff

X-10 automation since the BSR days

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 02:42:26 PM »

...When sent a command, such as "P Status Request" it could respond with "P (unit code)" where the unit code would correspond to the signal level.  Other commands could be used to select whether to read the X10 signal level or the background noise level.  It might also issue a command by itself whenever there is a sudden jump in background noise level to help identify the culprit....

...A device like this is a long way off - hardware design and months of firmware development....
I guess that means I need to hold on to my ESM1 for awhile longer then.  ;)
Interfaced with a third party program such as BVC and you might be able to have an audio feedback such as...
  • "Noise detected on the line."
  • "Signal strength good."
  • "Last signal weak. Please verify execution of command."
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »

Interest ON.

Nice ideas steven r.

BaBaLou.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »

Nice Idea Jeff, knew you would come up with something. Will be watching very closely. I can see the wheels are turning now with all you X10 oldtimers.  :)%

BaBaLou
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.