Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPR Duplex Receptacle Module Problem  (Read 4551 times)

gilfres

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPR Duplex Receptacle Module Problem
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »

I bought the Active Home Pro system starter kit and I add XPR 20 Amps Duplex Receptacle.   I used the include appliance module to test the signal and I move the breaker to be in the same phase that the Active Home Module is plugged.  Testing with the appliance module it worked OK.  When I finished installing the XPR Duplex Receptacle according to the instruction,  I set the address to  be E1, E2, E..., E8.  I went to the computer and add the module using the Active Home software and set each one to the appropriate address.   I went to the TV connected in the XPR receptacle E1.  I turned the TV on and I went to the computer and I turn off the switch off.   The TV was still ON.  I did the test in all of then and either one turn off.

What I did wrong,  why there are not working.
Do I need a noise filter, but I tested before change the receptacle with the appliance module and it work.
Why it doesn't work with the XPR receptacle module.

I bought the system to control the kid room to avoid them watching TV after bed time.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: XPR Duplex Receptacle Module Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »

Looks lie you did everything right, especially moving the breakers to be on same phase. However this is not clear in your post:

After you installed the X10 receptacles (Super Sockets) does the Appliance module work in the Super Sockets bottom outlet (the top outlet is the controlled outlet)? If the Appliance module turns ON and OFF from AHP then the Socket Rocket should also
work (TV plugged in the top outlet, correct?).

If the Appliance module does not work, it could be noise...

Are you sure you have the Super Sockets on the same phase as the CM15A?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gilfres

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

In the XPR both outlet are controlled.  Before put the new XPR I used the appliance module included in the kit with a night light and work, but after installed the receptacle the TV turn-on, but It doesn't turn-off using the X-10 command.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »

Does it click off and then back On?
The XPR has a local control sensor that maybe tripping back on from the TVs power supply.
The Appliance module also has local sensing but if it is a new design one. The sensing current is much lower and may not be tripping back on.
Test by putting a standard light bulb on the switched outlet along with the TV on the XPR. If it now stays off. The TV is tripping the local control sensor.
Let us know the results of the test and we may have some tips to correct it. One is a 7 watt night light on the same outlet.
One thing is kids are smart. I doubt it will take long for them to find out switching the thing off and back on again may again turn the power back on to the TV with the local control.  :'

If it doesn't even try to turn off. Then I would suspect noise from the TVs Power Supply masking the X10 signal or absorbing the X10 signal. In that case an X10 type filter maybe the answer.

Just looked at the Installation Sheet for the XPR. Indicates that lamps or any load less than 40 watts may flicker or work erratic.  ::)
Sure sounds like it has a pretty stiff local control current.  :'
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:31:31 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »

If it doesn't even try to turn off. Then I would suspect noise from the TVs Power Supply masking the X10 signal or absorbing the X10 signal. In that case an X10 type filter maybe the answer.

gilfres

Brian has probably nailed it. I have had both Sony and RCA TVs that would put out noise when ON. Unplug the TV and plug in a light. If it turns ON and OFF, then like Brian said, a noise filter between TV and outlet should help.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gilfres

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »

Thank,  I will do the test to see what happen.  I know that Leviton has a receptacle with not local control, but it cost about $40.00 dollars.  I'll will reply with the result, but probably I will do the test tomorrow or in the weekend.   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 06:52:57 AM »

Sounds good.
Let us know how it goes.

gilfres

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »

I notice that when nothing is connected to the receptacle, it turn on-off, but if something is connected it doesn't turn off at all.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.