Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS13s (Hawkeye) and alligators  (Read 16021 times)

stevem

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
MS13s (Hawkeye) and alligators
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:48:33 PM »

An MS13 Hawkeye X10 PIR detects rapidly changing infra-red and if it's aimed suitably then it will be triggered by dogs or cats.  They, like humans, are warm-blooded.

Would it however, detect a decent-sized cold-blooded animal, such an as alligator?

I have a number of MS13s but sadly there aren't a lot of alligators in Europe, so I'm not able to test this out very easily.

Does anybody know?  In the absence of an alligator, I imagine a crocodile, giant tortoise or komodo dragon would suffice, but we don't have very many of those either.

Thanks, Steve

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: MS13s (Hawkeye) and alligators
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »

If you make this a voting question, my vote would be NO.
A cold blooded reptile would be approximately same temperature as the background, so the PIR detector will not see enough differential. 
BTW is this a joke?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »

An MS13 Hawkeye X10 PIR detects rapidly changing infra-red and if it's aimed suitably then it will be triggered by dogs or cats.  They, like humans, are warm-blooded. Would it however, detect a decent-sized cold-blooded animal, such an as alligator?

We [here at the forum] have many users in southern climates. So does anyone ever get a HawkEye trigger by an alligator? I know here in Ohio.... I've never got one.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

stevem

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:08:18 AM »

No - it's not a joke; it's a serious although amusing question!

Cheers, Steve

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »

Since alligators are cold-blooded, I suspect a MS13 would never see it if standing still.  However, since the MS13 is a motion detector, a moving alligator might show up.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:07:01 AM »

I have always heard that the best way to detect an alligator is to tie (or stake) a barking dog in the area you wish to monitor. When you hear the dog stop barking.... you've detected an alligator.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »

I have always heard that the best way to detect an alligator is to tie (or stake) a barking dog in the area you wish to monitor. When you hear the dog stop barking.... you've detected an alligator.
Yes. We used to live in Coral Springs Florida and my ex boss lost a pet dog exactly that way. They lived on a canal, and had a five foot chain link fence around back yard... so thought no gator could get into yard. One night he went out back to find a pretty big gator scaling back over the fence and no more "Fluffy the poodle".

True story.

Maybe I should send him an Eagle Eye for testing?  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.