Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any reliable method of determining why signals override?  (Read 7784 times)

WFAWIS

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Any reliable method of determining why signals override?
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »

...I searched the fora & didn't find anything that was directly relevant, but perhaps I missed them. If so, apologies.

Anyway, I've got two cameras. Both wireless, on different groups. One camera insists on overriding the signal from the other, regardless of code setting or location. I can tune to the second camera, but the image lasts for a split second before the first camera takes over again.

So, does anyone know if there's a specific list of steps to take in an effort to nail down what precisely is the problem? I've tried moving them around, changing codes & fiddling with antennae without luck so far. At this point I'm considering using a remote-switchable power supply (not X10) for the first camera, so that I can physically turn it off before attempting to use the second camera.

Alternatively: Any idea if ZigBee is less susceptible to this sort of irritation?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Any reliable method of determining why signals override?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »

Are you using 2 different receivers? X10 wireless cameras were not meant to have more than one on at a time; that is why their power supplies will shut others off if a different one in a specified group gets turned on.

I don't think the separation of the 4 channel's spacing was intended for video. It is more for moving the video signal away from generic signals such as cordless phones and wireless internet. I doubt the rolloff of the channel filtering is sharp enough to prevent stronger video sync pulses from one camera from being the one that a video monitor detects and uses when you want to see the video a more distant (weaker signal) camera.

Are you using any type of transceiver, motion detection or software with the cameras?

WFAWIS

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:10:21 PM »

Have two receivers, but your note made me think perhaps one of them is having trouble; I'll have to check the plugs on it next time (this hadn't occurred to me previously, for some reason).

Transceiver-wise, using the CM15A. There are two motion detectors, but neither is being used at the moment due to general reliability problems with one of them (the other works fine). I figured I'd nail the camera problems first, then worry about the motion detectors -- so at present they're not controlling anything. The idea, of course, was to use them as triggers for the cameras. There's also a doorswitch, but that too isn't being used for anything at the moment.

So, right now, when I say one camera overrides the other that's due purely to manually switching between cameras -- there's no macro'ing going on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »

Having two on even if one is on the Channel A and the other on D. May still be a problem as Puck said. As I also doubt X10s receivers are selective enough to only see one of the two. That is why X10 has them controlled in groups of four. Same House Code and Unit 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16. Turn one on in the group the other three go off.
If you have lets say one A on can your other receiver still see garbage when it is on D?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.