Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: can I connect a siren to a lamp module.  (Read 5943 times)

ANDRESRODGOM

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
can I connect a siren to a lamp module.
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:42 PM »

I have the security system console and it is working fine.  I bought sa conventional siren 120 v.   i have pliugged it in to a lamp module in order for it to start whenever the alarm turns on.  It works good but after certain time it turns on alone and the lamp module wont respond to any commands given.
My question is if I can connect the siren to the module or if connecting it will ruin the module.

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: can I connect a siren to a lamp module.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:22 PM »

Hi ANDRESRODGOM and welcome to the Forum,

Haven't tried adding a siren to my system yet but as in many other situations in trying to apply a unit to turn off and on using the lamp module is good only for the use of lights, incandescent so as to dim. In your case using an appliance module should and would work for a simple setup. You can always use a universal module UM506, PUM01 and have them trigger the siren. good luck and hope that helps.
BaBaLou.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:41:46 AM »

Lamp Modules are made to dim lights not run a siren. My guess is the sirens electronics maybe making noise  and making the X10 signals on the power line poor.

You would have a better chance of success with an Appliance Module.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »

I have the security system console and it is working fine.

Running a external (non-X10) siren with the X10 security system can be problematic.... if thats what your doing. Although the appliance module... is best suited for the device.. the Security Console will NOT turn it On with it's "all lights on" command. If the siren is a low wattage, low amperage device you might be able to use a SocketRocket to trigger it on with the console. But then it would have to be turned off manually... not a good idea.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »

...But then it would have to be turned off manually... not a good idea.
True! Most places have laws requiring an alarm to reset after a certain period of time. Otherwise you can be subject to a healthy fine.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »

It works good but after certain time it turns on alone and the lamp module wont respond to any commands given.
My question is if I can connect the siren to the module or if connecting it will ruin the module.

ANDRESRODGOM
Plug an incandescent light into the Lamp Module, if it instantly turns ON and can not be turned OFF (which is the way I read your comment, "after certain time it turns on alone and the lamp module wont respond to any commands given") then; Yes, the siren has damaged the Lamp Module.

Lamp Modules do not like it if connected to motors, transformers, TVs, appliances in general. Mainly, they only "play nice" with incandescent lights.

However if the Lamp Module works normally when an incandescent light is plugged into it, then as Brian suggested, it may be an electrical noise problem generated by the siren.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

If it is one of the soft start ones. The ramping up and down AC may also be a problem with a 120 volt siren. If you put the regular bulb on it and turn it on and off. Does it go on or off instantly or slowly?

Dave_x10_L makes a good point. Appliance modules do not respond to an All Lights On but would to an All Units Off.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »

I have the security system console and it is working fine.

Running a external (non-X10) siren with the X10 security system can be problematic.... if thats what your doing. Although the appliance module... is best suited for the device.. the Security Console will NOT turn it On with it's "all lights on" command. If the siren is a low wattage, low amperage device you might be able to use a SocketRocket to trigger it on with the console. But then it would have to be turned off manually... not a good idea.

My point exactly! there's no way to turn it off, and I agree not a good idea but  stay tuned guys might have a solution in 6 months or so. I'll keep you posted.  ;)

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »

....... stay tuned guys might have a solution in 6 months or so. I'll keep you posted.  ;)
Tom j.

Would be nice (and good luck).... I've played with the concept myself.... with nothing to post.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.