Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RWS17 Wall switch: Timer will turn off but not on.  (Read 2690 times)

cencinio

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RWS17 Wall switch: Timer will turn off but not on.
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:15:35 AM »

I have the X-10 Active home software that has programable timers and macro events. These events are stored in an interface that sends the signal out at the apropriate times to turn x-10 modules on or off. I have several LM 465 Lamp Modules that turn on and off as expected according to the programmed schedule. But I also just purchased 2 RWS 17 Wall Switches and they dont work right.
The timer will turn them off at the appropriate time if they're on but it wont turn them on if they're off. It dosent matter if I'm using the communications bridge or downloading the timers and macros to the interface and using it only.
I have even tested the timer by adjusting the code on the lamp module to be the same as the wall switch and they work fine.
A caveat on the instructions says that the light must be 40 watts or more or you might get "erratic" behavior. The lights that are supposed to be controlled are each a cluster of 3 40 watt bulbs (120 watts right?) The other thing is that these modules are for single or 3 way applications. Im using them for single and the instructions say to just wire nut the red wire and dont use it which I have done. I cant seem to find just a single only module with a decora format, but would it even make a difference? Seems like it shouldnt matter.
I hope sombody else has some input, it would really help

cencinio

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: RWS17 Wall switch: Timer will turn off but not on.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

Does the attached light go on slowly? The new X10 switches have soft start and act differently. The retail RWS17 may also have soft start now. Let us know how the light turns on and off.

cencinio

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: RWS17 Wall switch: Timer will turn off but not on.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

Yes They are soft start...I just found another thread ( Strange WS12 behavior with Active Home timers) that had the same issue and they suggested that defining the wall switch as a LM14A might help...So I tried that and it didnt work, but then I defined them as a UM 506 in the Active Home Pro console and initial testing seems to work both from the console manually and also downloading to the interface and closing the communication bridge.
I have moved on to a production test for tonight and will update tommorrow. This is an awesome forum!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.