Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Creating an Email Notifier?  (Read 9830 times)

EmailNotifier

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Creating an Email Notifier?
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »

I have a question which I can't seem to find anywhere on this forum. Rather than having an email sent to me whenever an X10 trigger occurs, would it be possible to use the SDK to send an X10 command when an email is received? For example, rather than having to repeatedly check email or have customers wait upon you to be at your computer, it would be possible to walk by your office and know if you had received and email without walking in. Any suggestions on how to go about setting this up? Thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Creating an Email Notifier?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »

Creating a notifier is not difficult! You need to check your e-mail at a regular interval.
You can program it to send a X10 command upon receiving a new e-mail (based on conditions you set, from/subject/all new)
Next you'll need a dedicated lamp set to this address.
When a new e-mail arrives the light comes on,walking by the office  you'd see it notifying you of a new e-mail!
If I remember right  ::) you can do this with X10dispatcher although it may only be set to see all new!
>!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:54:26 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EmailNotifier

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »

Dedicated lamp is not an issue. I have all the X10 wiring done. I realized I needed to have it check my email at a regular interval, but wasn't sure how that would work with the Activehome Pro interface. X10dispatcher seems like it might work - I'd want it to display "all new" anyway, so this should be good. Thanks so much for the quick response!!!  #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »

You don't need AHP running or even installed, although it will work fine with most SDK created programs!
Without AHP installed on the PC you must have the SDK redistributionables installed! ;)
Also SDK created programs can't download to the CM15A so it must be connected to the PC!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EmailNotifier

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »

Would you be able to detail the process a little more for me - I've very new to X10 as well as SDKs. Under "Dispatch Macros" in the Dispatch Settings I made a macro that executes on a variety of triggers (scheduled, trigger, website check). I will be needing to write my own code in the SDK I understand, but then what is the point of the Dispatcher? Can I use the Dispatcher's functions in the SDK.   ???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:18:59 AM by EmailNotifier »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »

The dispatcher program is made with the SDK! So if your going to write your own code it isn't needed I only mentioned it as a quicker solution
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »

Actualy PajamaGuy  
explains a very simple way to create a e-mail notifier here: Topic: Now I can do ___________________ from my Blackberry!  (Read 175 times)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.