Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mailbox plastic box extension  (Read 3183 times)

vtol

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Mailbox plastic box extension
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »

hello
I extended my mailbox with an 9x9 inch tupperware box and my eagle eye only works like 1 time outta 4.
Anyone know why it only works part of the time and not all the time.
The mail box is about 80 feet from the garage where I have a mini-transceiver and 1 chime in the house and 1 chime in the garage for testing.
I've walked to and fro the mailbox about 100 times- lol, please help..
kind thankyou

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Mailbox plastic box extension
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »

I extended my mailbox with an 9x9 inch tupperware box and my eagle eye only works like 1 time outta 4.
Anyone know why it only works part of the time and not all the time.
The mail box is about 80 feet from the garage where I have a mini-transceiver and 1 chime in the house and 1 chime in the garage for testing.

The tupperware extension is a great idea. Generally a metal box will absorb the RF signal... and interupt it from reaching the transceiver. Whereas the tupperware seems to be working... or at least helping... 80 feet is near the limit of the range too.

You could try getting the mini-transceiver up as high as you can... (in the eves if possiable) might help. Another tip that some have found helpful (so I have read) is a passive antenna for the motion sensor.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

vtol

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

Thanks for all that, very helpful.
I got the plastic box idea from reading here at the forum (thanks).
I had my mini transceiver about 6 feet up.
I found that when I switched the EagleEye to an ActiveEye, everything works perfectly now.
Maybe the EagleEyeswork differently in a way they have to be told when to turn on or off confusing the chime which may be more auto on and off than a lamp module or appliance module or the delay setting at 50% helps.
I'm sure curious to know why as my above spectulation is merely just my own guess.
Yeah the tupperware had a nice 5/16" lip which I put a bead of clear silcone all the way around (used duck tape to hold it up till it tacked in 1 hour) then spray painted the entire mailbox with gray primer can paint, its one of the big over size mailboxs so the 9x9" sub box on the back is fairly un-noticible or looks ok.

The chimes would not work in the house until I re-wired the circuit to a different phase(odd or even number breaker).
Now even the chime at the other end of the house even works perfectly.
So counting the Transceiver in the garage and the 2 chimes it all equals about 180 feet of coverage since the AHPmodule is at the far end of the house. (X10 is really cool once you figure a few simple tricks here and there - plus X10 pricing is really fair to us all - thank you X10)

I also found if something quits working  you can add a transceiver to that room (house code) not hooked to anything and it fixes the problem.

Thanks again - vtol  :)%
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:30:50 PM by vtol »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

I found that when I switched the EagleEye to an ActiveEye, everything works perfectly now.
Maybe the EagleEyeswork differently in a way they have to be told when to turn on or off confusing the chime which may be more auto on and off than a lamp module or appliance module or the delay setting at 50% helps.

Sure... or it could be the batteries are newer too.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

vtol

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »

Nop
I tried 3 different EagleEyes all 3 with brand new Alcaline batteries that day.
I'm bull headed and tinker with things much longer than most would waste thier time 8)

It was strange that the EagleEyes all would work perfect first couple trys, then they would just show thier little led twinkle but the chimes would not sound while walking even next to the AHPmodule or the chimes /transceiver.

Maybe something is interferring with the EagleEyes and not the ActiveEye.

Thanks again..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:38:14 PM by vtol »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.