Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it possible to have more than 16 unit codes for a given housecode?  (Read 2954 times)

axgupta1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

This has been a problem for me for last 4 years. I have too many x10 modules. Since each housecode allows only 16 unit codes, I have to use different housecodes. Macros also use up a unit code. Unless I keep multiple remotes handy (one for each housecode), there is no way to turn on/off a lamp module. As a result, I am forced to use the same house code and unit code for more than one module which creates problems of its own.

Is there a x10 remote which handles multiple housecodes and unitcodes without the need to reprogram the remote? Any other ideas?

Thanks...
Arun

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Is it possible to have more than 16 unit codes for a given housecode?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »

Is there a x10 remote which handles multiple housecodes and unitcodes ..........? Any other ideas?

I used remotes at one time too! What a pain... I had three PalmPad remotes in my endstand drawer.. next to my easychair. A couple years ago I switched to BVC (AKA: Bill's Voice Commander). Don't get me wrong.... I still have a remote handy. But Voice Commanding my X10 setup... is for me... the only way to go.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:49:40 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

murphy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:48:40 AM »

Is there a x10 remote which handles multiple housecodes and unitcodes without the need to reprogram the remote? Any other ideas?

The HR12A, with the addition of a knob to easily change the house code, handles all 256 codes and includes dim and brighten.

axgupta1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »

I did try the BVC voice commands and they were good. There is a problem using the software. It keeps triggering random Windows commands because of background sounds from TV etc. Then there is the issue of keeping a computer tethered to the CM15A.

Adding a knob to HR12A seems to be a good idea. Is something like this available or any instruction on how to do it?

I am still kind of surprised that no one has come up with a remote which can transmit all house codes and unit codes with the touch of buttons.

Smarthome has a INSTEON compatible module that allows control of modules over the web using web enabled PDAs/smartphones. The web site brings up a remote control on the PDA/smartphone which can transmit all house codes and unit codes using two separate key pads. I wish someone would design a standalone remote like that.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »

I am still kind of surprised that no one has come up with a remote which can transmit all house codes and unit codes with the touch of buttons.

X10 is working on a new "Icon Remote" which will send all X10 house codes/unit codes by RF. The units model number is to be IR27. Don't know when X10 will start shipping, but it is in the works.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.