Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Homemade Robo Dog?  (Read 10222 times)

ron08

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Homemade Robo Dog?
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »

I found this old post about the homemade Robo dog.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13211.msg73744#msg73744

I have one of the old Robo dogs but I don't think the sound quality is very good. I was going to take it apart that see what I could do to have it work with an mp3 player, however that's enough work that I will probably won't get around to it.

But the solution in the post is so simple. I want to give it a try. Since the author doesn't seem to be active on these forums anymore, can anyone answer this question about the set up he has.

I understand that the computer speaker power is plugged into the x10 module, so when it's activated the power turns
on the speaker, but what activates the mp3player? He said he sets it to repeat but if he just keep it playing that would
run the mp3 batteries down pretty quick.

Has anyone done this?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Homemade Robo Dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »

I understand that the computer speaker power is plugged into the x10 module, so when it's activated the power turns
on the speaker,

............. but what activates the mp3player? He said he sets it to repeat but if he just keep it playing that would

I do remember RCaddict's post about his MP3 robodog. I was impressed then too. I think his 15 minute version ran on batteries... a plug-in power supply would be needed for full time use. The growling, barking MP3 files would continue to repeat endlessly.... only the speaker would turn ON or OFF. RCaddict inspired me to start my "keep them outside - better than a yard sign" thread.

I am a big BVC fan myself and have created a similar version of a robodog using the AHP (X10's Active Home Pro) options with macros and BVC to play the barking (I used WAV) file. The advantage of using a [conditional] macro is I have the option to turn the dog OFF and ON.... ether manually (voice command or RC) or based on time (or other reason for a module status).

I also like to place the motion sensor between the door and the storm door. The motion sensor can't see through the [storm doors] glass panel... so accidental triggers are eliminated. Yet opening the storm door "wakes the dog".

I have used a similar process to setup my outside perimeter detection voice warning alarm. It warns me AND any outside tresspasser at the same time. You can see it in action near the end of my three minute BVC YouTube Video There are also a couple other good examples of motion sensor activated effects in the "Halloween Ideas Thread".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:54:55 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ron08

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »

Hi Dave,

Yes I believe you are right. I don't see any way to use the homemade robodog full time without a way to supply the MP3 player with AC

I'm a complete rookie at this. I'll need to look into  AHP X10's Active Home Pro and BVC.

I wanted to avoid using my business computer for all this but I'm thinking of getting the WiLife cameras and if I go with Active Home Pro I probably should look into getting a dedicated computer.

Funny how this grows and grows  8)

Ron

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »

Yes I believe you are right. I don't see any way to use the homemade robodog full time without a way to supply the MP3 player with AC

I am sure RadioShack can fix you up with a power supply for your MP3 player. Or you could check out the new REX Barking Dog (I've seen cheaper prices).

Funny how this grows and grows 

And grows and grows and grows........

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »

Actually if your using the computer and AHP you could use a thirdparty software to play the MP3 file stored on the PC!
RCaddict's post about his MP3 robodog got me to create a barking dog using X10Wavplayer and later PC Companion
Both X10wavplayer and PC Companion can play the file continuous or any number of times you'd like!
BVC can play sound as well but I'm not sure if it can repeat the sound continuously or what file types it will handle!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

skywalker1689

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:16:25 AM »

Speakers are controlled by x10 modules.

2 solution 4 the mp3 player.

First, find a ac powered mp3 player and plug it in directly in the power.
Play whatever you want in a loop silently.

Second, find a correct dc voltage output ac adapter. Splice dc output wires and connect them correctly into the mp3 battery connectors. Play mp3 in a loop.

I have one of the old Robo dogs but I don't think the sound quality is very good. I was going to take it apart that see what I could do to have it work with an mp3 player, however that's enough work that I will probably won't get around to it.

But the solution in the post is so simple. I want to give it a try. Since the author doesn't seem to be active on these forums anymore, can anyone answer this question about the set up he has.

on the speaker, but what activates the mp3player? He said he sets it to repeat but if he just keep it playing that would

Has anyone done this?

ron08

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »

Duh! Those solutions should work. I should have thought of that. -:)

Second, find a correct dc voltage output ac adapter. Splice dc output wires and connect them correctly into the mp3 battery connectors. Play mp3 in a loop.

Has anyone done this?

skywalker1689

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »

Another solution is MP3 CD player if you still can find one.
The one I have will play from the last track the power is off.

Find a CD player or MP3 CD player that will start playing when the power is on. Make sure it has loop function or keep playing function. Burn whatever you need to a CD. Connect CD player to the speakers.
Plug both speakers and CD player to a power outlet and plug power outlet to a X10 controller.
This solution can save you some electric power(if you are a green person).

Now if we can find a MP3 player that stay in loop playing mode ignoring power on/off, that would be great.
The total cost could be less than $20.00

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:15:06 AM »

This solution can save you some electric power(if you are a green person).

I like your idea![/size]

I liked the robo-dog idea (although I have never owned one) I was tickled when RCaddict came up with an idea to make one. I wouldn't worry about the tiny little bit of energy used to power ANY safety or security device (smoke alarms, security alarms, night lights). These device use such small amounts of energy.... yet can add so very much to the value of human life. Being concerned about the power used would NOT be GREEN.... it would be excessive compulsive.

skywalker1689

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:01:16 AM »

Another home made barking dog idea.

$5.00 cheap power strip

$10.00 110v AC to 12v dc converter
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1322

$11.20 SD/USB/MP3 FM Transmitter
http://www.amazon.com/MMC-Wireless-Transmitter-Remote-Black/dp/B0016BVDIK/ref=sr_1_5?

ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229922632&sr=8-5

$???.?? old 110v AC radio(power switch can be always on)

$???.?? 4/8/16MB SD card came with you old digital camera

Place your MP3 Barking Dog file in the SD card and plug it in the FM Transmitter.
Power FM transmitter and old radio with the power strip.
Fine tune the wireless radio connection.
Turn on/of the power strip to simulate the X10 on/off control.
Plug the power strip to an X10 and test them out.

According to the review, the FM signal is strong and should be able to power lots of

old radios in distance.

For example

A1   front door radio only
A2   rear door radio only

B1   barking dog mp3 in FM transmitter
B2   ghost screaming
B3   Hal greeting
B4   merry Christmas song
B5   Shortgun "get off my lawn"

X10 turn on A1 A2 B1   Barking dogs in both front door and rear door

X10 turn on B4 A1   welcome your guests near front door with xmas songs

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.