Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Compact Flourescent Bulb RF Choke  (Read 12290 times)

knolish

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Compact Flourescent Bulb RF Choke
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »

What I'd like to see is something the size of the socket rocket, or smaller, that has a built in RF choke, or whatever voo-doo is needed, to filter out compact fluorescent bulbs.  I'm not necessarily looking for something that can control the bulb, just something that I can install to help filter out the noise that interferes with X10 operation.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Compact Flourescent Bulb RF Choke
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »

What noise?   I use CFLs in Socket Rockets and do not get noise.  Appliance modules cause some CFLs to "blink" when off, the cure is a cube tap and a 4-watt night light. No blink, plus a built-in burned out bulb in the night light - the "blink". 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Compact Flourescent Bulb RF Choke
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:47 AM »

Would have to be a special filter for the X10 power line frequency as some generic filters actually degrade X10 signals as noise.
The noise may depend on the CFL brand and model. I have dissected some CFLs and their inputs vary greatly. Some do have a built-in choke and cap filter. Some have the cap after the choke some before. Some none at all.  ::)
I have seen some CFLs make noise on my ELF ESM-1 Tester but using a scope shows the noise may not be near the zero crossing so it may not effect the X10 signals too greatly.

Are you having problems with CFLs and X10 signals?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.