Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Up and running..Thanks!  (Read 2892 times)

berniejr72

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Up and running..Thanks!
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »

First off a big thanks to all of the senior members here who have answered my preliminary questions and all of those who have posted valuable info to this forum.  With all of that information in hand, I received my initial equipment and setup everthing.

I ordered AHP/CM15a with 2 socket rockets, 1 lamp module, 1 3-pin appliance module,1 lamp module and 1 MS14A sensor
also I ordered a DS7000 with 3 door/window sensors, 1 small powerhorn, and 1 sch624 and 2 kr10a remotes.

I have everything up and running and thru some trial and error, I've figured out most of the basics.

It was a pain but I figured out how to program the socket rockets, without any of the "preferred" remotes.

I performed the simple mod on my CM15A to get more range, and it works on 5 times better than before.

I will be adding more sensors and appliance modules for my setup, as well as more door/window sensors and remotes for my security setup (still undecided about MS10A's).

Seeing that myhouse online, sucks I noticed most use either Logmein or VNC for remote control of the system.  Does anyone have any other web based solutions?  I ask because I want to integrate my setup into my Home entertain touchscreens setup, and a web based solution seems to make the most since.  LogmeIn seems like the best candidate, however I'm not sure if I need remote control access, just access from the other touchscreens within my internal network.  In either case this may prove to be the best option and it seems to come well recommended.

Again, I just wanted to thanks to all who contribute on this forum

germarine

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Up and running..Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »

Hi I´m kind of new with x10 technology and I notice that the USB interface doesn´t have as much range cover as a simple transiever, what you are saying here is that I can do something to give it more area coverage?  Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Up and running..Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

Hi I´m kind of new with x10 technology and I notice that the USB interface doesn´t have as much range cover as a simple transiever, what you are saying here is that I can do something to give it more area coverage?  Thanks.

More often than not here at the forum... we use actual product model numbers and specific terms... to avoid confusion. In this case I will assume you are referring to the CM15A AHP interface and it's RF (radio frequency) range.

The plastic covered antenna has been an issue for many users of the CM15A (myself included). There are many posts here on the forum about modifications to the CM15A's antenna <link. The modifications posted here range from a complete new antenna system..... to merely taping a 9 1/4 inch piece of coat hanger to the plastic antenna.

The simple easiest way to add range to the CM15A (or even the CM17A for that matter) is just get it up higher and further away from the computer/monitor interference. Using a solid 120V extention cord for power... and a USB extention cord to the PC should allow you to place the interface on top of furniture or hang it from a ceiling.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:22:42 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.