Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harmony + IR-543 - How to program smooth dim and bright as part of activities?  (Read 5629 times)

IsleOfMan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

For awhile I've had a pair of lamps on a single X10 Lamp Module. I've been using a Stanley Sundowner wired controller to power them on/off and dim/brighten. Today I received an IR-543 that I planned to use to integrate control of these lamps with my Harmony 520 remote. I've had no problems integrating power-on and power-off of the lights. I am, however, having problems programming functions to dim 100% to 0% and to brighten 0% to 100%.

I've tried programming multiple "dim" and "bright" commands but the progression in either direction choppy, not smooth at all. I've tried every speed/delay setting with no luck. When I hold the "dim" button on the Harmony the progression is smooth as it should be, but when I try to program as part of an activity I can't achieve this same smooth dim and brighten functionality.

Any help? Thanks!

IsleOfMan

Is no one using a Harmony to do a smooth dim and/or raise of a lamp module???

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

Is no one using a Harmony to do a smooth dim and/or raise of a lamp module???

I use the Harmony 628 in My Home Theater.

I don't think your problem is with the X10 devices.... but the setting within the Harmony(/logitech). I set my dim to a percentage... like dim to 20%. I also use AHP with my setup... but if I remember correctly.... I think that worked before I used AHP.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:10:22 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

IsleOfMan

Any settings you can fill me in on? Holding the "dim" or "bright" button gives me a nice smooth progression, but when I program a series of "dim" or "bright" commands it is very choppy and not smooth at all.   I've tried every speed/delay setting which affected how choppy it was, but none eliminated it. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

........ I program a series of "dim" or "bright" commands

Yeah.... If I remember correctly mine is set to dim to 20 percent. If you don't have that choice on your Web Page (programming interface) you may want to call Harmony Tech Support. Or you may need to upgrade to AHP with the CM15A interface.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:51:13 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

The Harmony 520 unfortunatly does not allow a hold time on any button.. you can't; At Least I've found; program it  to hold down any button for a certain amount of time. I too had to set multiple dim commands to get my lights to dim and it was choppy until I purchased AHP with the CM15a and programmed two seperate macros to  dim  and brighten my lights when my Harmony 520 triggers the IR543. SO for instance When I hit my Watch movie activity the remote triggers "E7 On" and my Theater lights macro is activated. Then when ever the movie is over and I choose another activity (or power off)... I have the remote trigger "E8 On" which brightens my lights. Now My lights dim and brighten smoothly
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

IsleOfMan

It looks like the easiest (and not all that expensive) way to get where I want is to just replace my current lamp module with the newer version of the LM465 which has "Soft Start".  The "Soft Start" feature apparently does a 2-second ramp-up for the on command and a 3-second ramp-down for the off command.  It also remembers the last dimmer setting and powers back to that from the off position.  I need to order some modules to control/automate my Christmas decorations anyway, so I won't get raped on shipping for a single item either.

Thanks for the responses!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.