Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Copy old ActiveHome myhouse.x10 to myhome.ahx  (Read 2347 times)

efacewin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Copy old ActiveHome myhouse.x10 to myhome.ahx
« on: November 19, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »

Windows 95 computer on its last legs.  It there a way to import all data from an old myhouse.x10 file to myhome.ahx without re-keying dozens and dozens of macros and modules into Active Home Pro by hand?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Copy old ActiveHome myhouse.x10 to myhome.ahx
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »

Some have had luck importing old Files from Active Home but most ran into problems with the import which was difficult to track down and eventually recreated all their macros and the AHP file! :(
The more complicated the setup the more likely the import was to fail, so in your case I'd say do it all over by hand and save your self some pain!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Copy old ActiveHome myhouse.x10 to myhome.ahx
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »

Whatever you decide print out your macros and timers so you can refer to them. Did the old program let you do this? If not, hand write them. You'll may be glad you did.

While, as Tuicemen said, many of us had problems with the early versions of AHP, the import could of improved so I'd say give it a try and see what happens. At least it might serve as a transition automation setup. Later, you may just find it's easier and more productive to rebuild things from scratch.

What you can do with the AHP software and the CM15A so blows away everything that was even possible with AH and the CM11A that it's likely you'll have new ways of programming things pretty quickly.

As a side note, after you've backed up all your data from your Windows 95 unit, start looking for program updates for any existing programs you have. Your new Windows computer, will have Vista. Things like your current word processor won't run in Vista. Make sure that you can import any document files you may need. As long as your old hard drive hasn't crashed, you might want to run it as an external or even install it as a second internal drive to the new computer. On the other hand, if the new computer is going to be a dedicated automation system, try to find a used XP computer for it.

Bottom line: If you've never done an update from Windows 95 to Vista, start finding a good friend that has and start buttering him up now. It you have anything that is improtant on the old computer, the X10 update may be the least of your challenges.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.