Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motion detectors  (Read 2910 times)

tdjs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
motion detectors
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »

I'm replacing 4 existing hardwired motion detectors  with floodlites that are wired at 4 different locations,when 1 comes on they all come on.These are wired in series and are controlled by a 120 volt coil contactor.Need to replace with x-10 system that will sense at the same 4 different location.would like to avoid battery power motion sensors.When L1 senses motion it should turn on L2,L3,L4 flood lights on or when L3 senses  it turns on the others.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: motion detectors
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »

What other X10 products are you using (important to the answer of your post)?  Do you have a cm15a with AHP?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »

I'm replacing 4 existing hardwired motion detectors  with floodlites that are wired at 4 different locations,when 1 comes on they all come on.These are wired in series and are controlled by a 120 volt coil contactor.Need to replace with x-10 system that will sense at the same 4 different location.would like to avoid battery power motion sensors.When L1 senses motion it should turn on L2,L3,L4 flood lights on or when L3 senses  it turns on the others.
Look at the PR511 floodlights and the X10 Pro version.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »

I'm replacing 4 existing hardwired motion detectors  with floodlites that are wired at 4 different locations,..............When L1 senses motion it should turn on L2,L3,L4 flood lights on or when L3 senses  it turns on the others.

I beleive.... you can do that with the Leviton brand of X10 floodlight (available at smarthome) .
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »

I'm replacing 4 existing hardwired motion detectors  with floodlites that are wired at 4 different locations,..............When L1 senses motion it should turn on L2,L3,L4 flood lights on or when L3 senses  it turns on the others.

I beleive.... you can do that with the Leviton brand of X10 floodlight (available at smarthome) .

Yes, Those are the PIR flood lights I was thinking of...Thanks Dave X10!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cmburch

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »

I got some pretty good inexpensive motion detector floodlights from Costco.  I replace the detector portion with PR511 detectors.  I got the PR511 floods on sale for about $25ea including S&H.  I am happy with the performance.  Though they do not work quite as well as the Costco detector since the lights are up about 18' from the ground.  The Costco detector also looks straight down, but can not be used with X10.  Or is there a way to interface a sensor to the Costco motion sensor?

I also have the battery AAA eagle eye sensor that I soldered a PS to since it would not work in cold weather due to the batteries.

I also used one PR511 sensor only on an electrical box cover.  It is rectangular outlet size cover with a round threaded opening.

So I did not use the cheap parts to the PR511 lights, only the sensors.

Maybe someone has a better idea for wired sensors. $25 ea is a little pricey for PR511, but they work pretty well.

I am going to buy a couple of more eagle eyes and wire with PS instead of batteries.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »

............  Or is there a way to interface a sensor to the Costco motion sensor?

Yes there is a mod. I've seen it... but a quick search didn't find it for me tonight. The one I read.... the creator modified (hacked) a "typical store" motion sensor. The modified sensor would then trigger a powerflash unit. I would think... the same thing could be accomplished using a transformer.... or just a relay tucked into the box covered by the floodlight.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.