Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Doggie detector - Life enhancing application - Thank you x10.  (Read 2551 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

We live in the absolute sticks, with our property backing to national forest.
We have a well trained shepherd mix that goes out back to do her business.
She has never barked to come in as we have been faithful in polling the back door in all weather to see if she is back.

Last month I put a MS16a on the deck and a chime by the back door. I modified the chime putting a switch
in it in series with the speaker so it would only chime when we want it to (When we let the dog out).

It is so nice to go from a polled life to an interrupt driven life. And it is working in all weather so far.
And it's already full on winter here in Keystone Colorado, 9800 ft up in the sky.   

The chime goes ding dong, ding dong, and there is Coda's little face at the door.

:)%

Thank you x10!
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: X10 Doggie detector - Life enhancing application - Thank you x10.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:14:54 PM »

bitman,

Neat (and helpful) idea!

-:)  On a side note, for those that don't have the technical skills to modify the chime as you did, you could plug the chime into an switched outlet or a lamp cord with a built-in switch, or for us automation nuts, an appliance module set to a different unit code than the chime!

#:)   >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »

...or for us automation nuts, an appliance module set to a different unit code than the chime!
You could even use a BVC voice command to switch it.
i.e. "Dog outside" when you let out the dog and "Dog inside" when the dog came back inside.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »

You could even use a BVC voice command to switch it. i.e. "Dog outside" when you let out the dog and "Dog inside" when the dog came back inside.

YES. It could even be setup similar to the Garage door reminder macro(s) . So you could tell BVC to watch for the dog.... and then BVC would report back "watching for the dog".... and continue to report that it's watching for the dog every few minutes until it is notified that the dog has returned.

And since this would all be based around the AHP/CM15A.... the door could even be outfitted door/widow sensor to activate the ON/OFF function. So maybe the user could even save his voice.

All joking aside.... you have a great (and HELPFUL) setup there bitman.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:37:10 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.