Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 module to turn light on to a ceiling fan/light combo  (Read 8702 times)

jrwhit

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
WS467 module to turn light on to a ceiling fan/light combo
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

I would like to replace standard light switches with WS467 modules to cycle power to the lights bulbs only in a ceiling fan\light combo. The ceiling fans have pull chains to control the fans (which are seldom used). Dimming of the lights is not needed. I'm sure it has been covered here before and vaguely remember seeing where this was possible but cannot find it now. Can I use the WS467 to turn on the light and use the pull chains manually when the fan is needed or is a different module needed?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: WS467 module to turn light on to a ceiling fan/light combo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »

The only problem with using a WS467 for the fan is if you turn on the fan by the pull chain while the lights are on, the additional load will burn out the WS467.

What X10 should make is a combo WS467 for the lights and a heavy duty appliance module for the fan in a single module.  There would have to be separate wires to both the lights and the fan.

Barring that, if you want to run the additional wires, you can put a WS467 and a X10 PRO Wall Switch Appliance Module in a dual wall box and control both via X10.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

jrwhit

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 03:06:44 AM »

Thanks for the info. Would a switch such as the WPS3 handle such a load as manually turning on the ceiling fan while the light was on? Ads claim it is rated at 20 Amps.
Question 2. The ad claims that it is responsive to the ALL LIGHTS ON/ALL LIGHTS OFF command. Is this an added feature over and above the remote control using the palm pad or is this the ONLY way this switch functions.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »

Thanks for the info. Would a switch such as the WPS3 handle such a load as manually turning on the ceiling fan while the light was on? Ads claim it is rated at 20 Amps.
Question 2. The ad claims that it is responsive to the ALL LIGHTS ON/ALL LIGHTS OFF command. Is this an added feature over and above the remote control using the palm pad or is this the ONLY way this switch functions.
#1 is the fan motor on a separate circuit?

To elaborate on what Dan said. The WS467 can not be used to supply power to a fan motor. The fan motor presents an inductive load to the WS467 switch, which the switch does not like. The switch and/or fan motor may seriously overheat.

What is a WPS3?? If you mean a XPS3, yes, it would work. You can use the following:
WS13 (on - off only)
XPS3 (on - off only)
or XPDI3 (on-off, and will also control fan speed, light would dim also if fed on same circuit)
For these switches you need a neutral in the switch box also.

#2 Any of the X10 switches respond to individual control. The "All lights ON" and "All Lights OFF" are additional group command functions built into the modules designed to control lights (any module that says "In candecent lights only" in the ad text or on the module). Mini, Maxi Controllers and AHP /CM15A send these special "group" commands.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »

From what jrwhit posted, the light and fan motor are on the same circuit with pull chains to activate either lights of fan (or both).

Plus, what is a WS13?  A Google search shows nothing X10.

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »

Thanky!!!   >!

jrwhit

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 02:20:15 AM »

Dan is correct. The light and fan are on the same circuit. I have handed the issue off to my brother. He built the house and did the wiring. Handy guy to have around! He states that the switch I currently have breaks the black wire which is the common or hot wire.  The white or neutral is tied together with a yellow wire nut behind the switch in the back of the box.  The bare copper wire is always the ground wire. I have sent him the wiring diagram of the XPDI3 to see if that is a workable solution. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »

...The white or neutral is... ...behind the switch in the back of the box....
Having a neutral wire at the box will increase your options.

...The light and fan are on the same circuit. I have handed the issue off to my brother. He built the house and did the wiring....
Great resource to have around. I spent over $200 for an electrician to handle a similar project once.
What it's going to boil down to is whether there is a live unswitched wire at the fan? If so, you could use an inline switch for the fan. Otherwise you're looking at getting your brother to run another wire from your switch to the fan, if you want separate control of the light and fan.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.