Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Window/Door Sensors Heartbeat?  (Read 21782 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Window/Door Sensors Heartbeat?
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

Hello thinking about installing that On Alert  plugin but I've heard that when the door window sensor attempts to check in, so called heartbeat that this might be interpreted as an open door by the AHP software is this true? for example if I was trying to create a macro that would turn on a light if it's dark when I open the front door at night could this heartbeat trip things up and what's the work around for something like this. I have the plugin but wanted to know what to expect before installing cuz from what I've been told you can't uninstall individual plugins and that you sometimes get a nag screen if you don't install the hardware and use it. Thanks Guys!

Tom j.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Re: Window/Door Sensors Heartbeat?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:35:02 PM »

I use the Window/Door sensor on a couple doors and they work fine . My wife loves the one that turns on the light in the laundry room when you slide open the door and as far as I know it hasn't come on when I didnt want it to it even goes off when the door is shut every time.

People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:45:54 PM »

I've heard that when the door window sensor attempts to check in, so called heartbeat that this might be interpreted as an open door by the AHP software is this true?

The "heart beat" is an (aprox) hourly check in, that also reports status. If the door is closed, it reports as closed, if it is open it reports as open.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »

I use the Window/Door sensor on a couple doors and they work fine . My wife loves the one that turns on the light in the laundry room when you slide open the door and as far as I know it hasn't come on when I didnt want it to it even goes off when the door is shut every time.

Thanks guys!! Well that sounds great so their really aren't any special issues, no problems with the checking in confusing the software? Wonder why there was so much to-do about the so called heartbeat. hum...

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:27:24 AM »

............. Wonder why there was so much to-do about the so called heartbeat. hum...

Well... there can be problems if you don't think ahead.... or write good macros. Lets say you setup a Chime to chime when the back-door sensor is triggered. If the door is left open... about an hour later the chime will chime (again). That may give you the impression someone ether just left or came in... and the door will be open.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »

Actually... with AHP and OnAlert just about anything can be automated.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »

............. Wonder why there was so much to-do about the so called heartbeat. hum...

Well... there can be problems if you don't think ahead.... or write good macros. Lets say you setup a Chime to chime when the back-door sensor is triggered. If the door is left open... about an hour later the chime will chime (again). That may give you the impression someone ether just left or came in... and the door will be open.

OK well that's what I thought you can get false trigger. So if you leave the door open you get a false trigger but if it's closed the heartbeat won't be interpreted as a door opening hum.. I'm confused.  ???

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:19:36 PM »

OK well that's what I thought you can get false trigger.

No. Not a false trigger. A hourly trigger... a heart-beat.... and only if in the trigger position. It's a useful feature and part of the security setup.

If you watched my Automated Chair - the Movie you saw the DS10A trigger and BVC say "chair reclined". If the chair remained reclinded... without using some.. conditional macro, or flag... the heart beat could cause the trigger macro to repeat.

Using the DS10A with OnAlert isn't hard... heck I can do it... so anyone can.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:51:36 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:23:46 AM »

No. Not a false trigger. A hourly trigger... a heart-beat.... and only if in the trigger position. It's a useful feature and part of the security setup.

hmmm....  The DS10A transmit their status (OPEN or CLOSED) about once every 60 minutes.  "Open" and "Triggered" mean the same thing.  Without movement, the MS10A's report a "reset" condition about every 90 minutes.

The heartbeats tell the DS7000 (security console) that the sensors are alive.  When the DS7000 doesn't receive a heartbeat for 4 hours - it lights the corresponding LED to let you know the sensor is gone, dead, too far away, out-of-touch...

Heartbeats will also trigger & re-trigger macros.  You can be reminded every hour that the garage door is open.  I use the CLOSED heartbeat to ensure all the lights in an area are OFF.

And Dave is correct - without using FLAGs, Phantoms, and CONDITIONS, those heartbeats can cause un-wanted re-triggers, so just plan for them.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »

........  "Open" and "Triggered" mean the same thing. 

If you use the DS10A with the DS7000 and the OnAlert... that statement would be true. However if your using the DS10A with just an OnAlert/AHP macro as a trigger.... it can be done in reverse.

I am not sure how useful that would be if used on a door. But it does mean the DS10A can be connected to a water or smoke detection device as well as doors.

tom j

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »

Thanks guys well that's a lot clearer will look and try to digest everything and get back shortly.

Tom j.

#:)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.