Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB communication error  (Read 4964 times)

axgupta1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
USB communication error
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »

Here is the problem after I observed CM15A for several days. The unit keeps working fine for few days. All timers, macros and rf commands work fine. Then one day, the CM15A will stop responding to rf commands. The timers and macros stored in the interface keep working fine. When I connect the laptop to CM15A, I get an error message pop-up saying: "An error has occurred while communicating with your ActiveHome USB interface. To make sure that your timers and macros continue to run, click OK to download your settings to the interface". The activity log does not show anything but the message box keeps popping up if I press CANCEL. If I try to turn on/off any module from laptop, it works fine but every time the message box keeps popping up and I keep clicking CANCEL.

In the next test, instead of pressing CANCEL, I pressed OK. The AHP downloaded the timers and macros (at least the progress bar indicated so) and all the functionality was back.

This is repeatable behavior and happens every 4-5 days. The batteries are out of the box new. Is the CM15A faulty?

Thanks...
Arun

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: USB communication error
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »

This happens every once in a while, it's not related to the batteries in the CM15A, the USB connection or anything else.  You simply upload the same timers and macros to the CM15A and everything runs like it should.  It's been going on since AHP was introduced.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

axgupta1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:20:05 AM »

Thanks...Doesn't this make CM15A an unreliable device? The CM11A had this problem once a year or less. The CM15A has had this problem several times in less than 30 days. This implies that CM15A cannot be used for security purpose like with motion sensor. When it goes into the hang condition, it fails to recieve rf signals even from motion sensors. The whole purpose of motion sensor is defeated...

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »

I suggest that you clear the CM15 and reload everything, also look at every timer and macro you have.

axgupta1

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:27:55 AM »

I have cleared CM15A several times and cannot find anything wrong with timers or macros. When they work, they work just fine. Even when CM15A goes into the hang condition, the timers and macros keep working fine. It is just the rf which has a problem.

Thanks...
Arun

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »

just some things you could try: 

updating drivers to your motherboard and/or laptop

also go to device manager and see if there is some power setting for the usb hub and try disabling that, don't know if if will fix it but it is worth a shot.

I've seen interface cards that had a power setting that was set to turn it off to save power screw up when it was trying to start again.  hope this helps
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

axgupta1

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

Laptop is up to date. The power settings would kick in if the laptop would go into a sleep mode when connected to the CM15A. I never keep the laptop connected to the CM15A. Just connect is long enough to download timers and macros. I never leave the USB cable dangling from the CM15A. I read that this can cause noise pickup and malfunction. My idea is to have CM15A invisible and things just work correctly but it is not happening. It is very hard to download timers and macros when the CM15A decides to stop working in the middle of night.

Thanks...
Arun

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:06:22 PM »

Change the batteries in the CM15.   That might be the problem.   If the CM15 is not connected to the Laptop 24/7, then you are not using AHP except to download timers and macros to it.  If the batteries are old, and you get a power blip in the middle of the night, that may cause the problem.  The batteries keep the programming running in the CM15's memory if the power fails.

My CM15 is connected 24/7 to my desktop PC and we've had a couple of power failures and when BGE (I live in Baltimore) restored it and when I got into AHP, no message popped up.

axgupta1

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

Actually, I got the CM15A on 10/25 so it is not even 30 days. I put fresh out of the box Energizer batteries. The battery tester shows them fully charged. On the CM11A, I used to replace batteries like once a year. Do they run out this fast on CM15A?

Thanks...
Arun

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »

One question:  How did you get the CM15A and not have AHP?  X10USA will not sell the CM15 separately. only as a package with AHP.

axgupta1

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »

Sorry, I did not read carefully. I do have AHP but why does laptop have to be connected to CM15A all the time? I connect the laptop, start AHP, download timers and macros and disconnect. The timers and macros are stored in the interface.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »

You may a have a defective CM15A.  Contact X10 support, describe your problem and you should be able to get a new CM15A.  BTW, the firmware in the CM15 has to the old DST date, so you get to connect the CM15 to the computer to get the proper time a total of four times to keep the timers and macros correct.  A CM15 that is conected 24/7 gets it's time from Windows.

axgupta1

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »

I did read about the old DST time issue. I did connect the CM15A to laptop when time changed because that was around the time I had just bought it. The CM15A was acting strange and I did not know what to do. I was trying various settings and changing the location to try and identify the problem. After several days, when I finally got the settings right and found a good location, then I realized that it was losing rf capability every few days.

I will contact support and see what can be done.

Thanks for your prompt help and continued guidance on this issue...
Arun

bcondemi

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »

My cm15a has the exact same problem. Last 30 days it's usb communication died at least 20 times. Restarting AHP restores everything of course.
 Thought I may get another unit as well but its so old now and may develop the same problem.
 I was going to hold my breath for a new interface but figured I'd die first >*<.

Anyone know if there is something coming out before the decade is over?

thank-you

BC

axgupta1

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »

I had purchased a second CM15 as backup. I replaced the first CM15 with the new one and all problems have disappeared. I am getting a very stable performance and no more USB errors even after 6 days. Since the first CM15 was still with 30-day limit, I am returning it.

Thanks for all the help.
Arun

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.