Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gripe - but not x10 related  (Read 8525 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Gripe - but not x10 related
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:16:42 PM »

Got a gripe, but it's not x10 related, sorta.

For years, we've had an electric blanket. We still do.  X10 controlled the blanket, turned it on and turned it off. In the winter nights, the blanket went on at 10:30 and turned off at 7:45 AM the next morning.

The blanket was on address B1 and an appliance module did the work.  Even worked under AHP.

We replaced the blanket last fall, the old one was worn out. Unfortunately, all new electric blankets won't turn themselves on, even if X10 turned off the power. They also automatically turn themselves off nine hours after being turned on.  X10 no longer controls the blanket and no address of B1 is used any more. 

Rats!!!  :(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Gripe - but not x10 related
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 06:55:06 AM »

Don't you just like progress  ::).
Same for newer appliances with a soft start function. Can't leave power switch on and us an X10 device to controll it.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »

Yup.

There's progress, and there's anti-progress. Appliances with a soft start function fall squarely in the latter catagory.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 09:48:40 AM »

We replaced the blanket last fall, the old one was worn out. Unfortunately, all new electric blankets won't turn themselves on, even if X10 turned off the power. They also automatically turn themselves off nine hours after being turned on.

Do you still have the controller from the old blanket?  You might be able to hack it to work with the new blanket.  Even if you don't have the old controller, you might be able to hack the new one to turn on when powered up.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »

Can't hack it. Different manufacture. The old controller cords wouldn't fit the new blanket's connector.  The new blanket controllers are sealed. To open them would break the case to the point it could not be repaired.

When the new blanket arrived and was hooked up, the power cord was plugged into the applicance module. At 10:30 PM the module turned on, but the blanket didn't. It's soft start function required that the "on" switch on both controllers had to be pressed to turn the blanket on (it's a dual control). When X10 turned off the module (and the blanket power) when the module turned on at 10:30 PM the next night, I had to reset the blanket entirely, as the power loss made it go nuts. The two controllers were flashing "X", meaning total loss of communication. Time to unplug the blanket and the controllers and set it up like it was new.

The applicance module went in the spare module box, and the module and timer for B1 in the Master Bedroom was deleted. Sniff.  :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:07:00 PM by Dan Lawrence »

TommyHo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 07:30:11 PM »

Why not use B1 to turn on a few huge light bulbs under the bed and forget the new blanket??

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »

When X10 turned off the module (and the blanket power) when the module turned on at 10:30 PM the next night, I had to reset the blanket entirely, as the power loss made it go nuts. The two controllers were flashing "X", meaning total loss of communication. Time to unplug the blanket and the controllers and set it up like it was new.

Dan:  You may want to get out that module again.  We have one of these @* blankets too.  We also have an air bed with an RF remote control.  The air bed is on a platform that slides up to a head board with all the controls.  Everything plugs into an outlet strip under the headboard.  To get at the strip you have to pull the platform out of the headboard (it slides) and then reach down into the gloom to get at all the plugs.

Why am I telling you all this?  It turns out that both the electric blanket and the airbed are subject to occasional malfunctions that require them to be reset by unplugging them and then plugging them back in.  We're convinced the malfunction always occurs at 3:00am when we have to get out of bed from a sound sleep and go through the ritual in the above paragraph.

We now have the outlet strip plugged into an appliance module at the outlet.  A quick off and on with the palm pad we keep by the bed anyway now resets the air bed and the electric blanket without having to get out of bed.  Only the device needing resetting is affected since they are both tolerant of ordinary power outages when they are working properly.

Another really great use of X10 technology!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:17:39 AM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

timrapp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
how to make appliances with a soft touch button work with x10
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »

At 10:30 PM the module turned on, but the blanket didn't. It's soft start function required that the "on" switch on both controllers had to be pressed to turn the blanket on (it's a dual control).
First off, I don't know the correct terminology, but from reading a few related posts I don't think this unit is "soft start".  Until someone provides the correct term, I'm going to use "soft touch button".

I ran into the same thing, found a fix.  Try this to see if it will work with your unit:
1) keep the power button on the device depressed during this entire test
2) plug the cord into a normal wall outlet. Should turn on like normal.
3) Unplug from wall outlet, turns off.
4) Plug in, should turn on again.
5) repeat till you get bored.

If this works with yours then it should be X10 controllable.  My unit is a Bilt-Safe Beautyrest heated blanket, which I do not recommend since it defaults to the lowest heat setting when powered on (and uses soft touch buttons to change heat setting, annoying and not x10 controllable). 

Note:  I tried this today with a brand new Sunbeam heated mattress pad (the model with SimpliTouch control), it does not work.  The button has to be depressed and released to turn on the unit.  And the case is not designed to be opened, though if you're okay with cracking the case and gluing it back together it might work.  Please post models of heated blankets/mattress pads that you have had success with.

How to make the soft touch button stay in the on position:
You can do this a few ways.  The quick, ugly fix is to keep the button depressed at all times by using a rubber band (or tape) to hold a small object tightly against the soft start button.  The 10 min fix is unscrew the controller case (while unplugged!) and glue something non-conductive, non-flammable, and about 1mm thick onto the switch on the circuit board, so the button on the case is always pressing the switch down when the case is screwed together.  The really cool, longer fix:  for someone who is an electronics wiz, modify the circuit board such that it is hard wired to always be on.

Note - I just started playing with X10 this week, and know almost nothing about AC power or switches, so I can't say whether this solution is safe or not, that's up to you to decide.  At a minimum, keep a fire extinguisher handy for the first few days, and don't leave it unattended.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:55:43 PM by timrapp »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: how to make appliances with a soft touch button work with x10
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »

............. I just started playing with X10 this week...

Yet (after only one week) you've already discovered some of the basic issues involved with home automation. The appliances and devices (and even our homes) we want to automate aren't [often] designed to be automated.

Thankfully you've also discovered this forum. There are many knowledgeable and talented users here that have selflessly helped most of us to have great home automation setups.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »

You can do this a few ways.  The quick, ugly fix is to keep the button depressed at all times by using a rubber band (or tape) to hold a small object tightly against the soft start button.  The 10 min fix is unscrew the controller case (while unplugged!) and glue something non-conductive, non-flammable, and about 1mm thick onto the switch on the circuit board, so the button on the case is always pressing the switch down when the case is screwed together.  The really cool, longer fix:  for someone who is an electronics wiz, modify the circuit board such that it is hard wired to always be on.

This unfortunately will not work on our Sunbeam electric blankets. The momentary button must be in the OFF state when power is applied to the blanket. If the button is held down when power is applied, the blanket remains OFF until the button is released and then pressed again. I am not positive but I believe there is up coming (asinine) legislation requiring electric blankets to turn themselves OFF after some period of time. Some manufacturers have incorporated this feature already in their premium lines, but I heard (hopefully wrong) that the Fed is requiring the feature in all blankets in 2009. ....sigh, your congressional parasite at "work".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »

At 10:30 PM the module turned on, but the blanket didn't. It's soft start function required that the "on" switch on both controllers had to be pressed to turn the blanket on (it's a dual control).
First off, I don't know the correct terminology, but from reading a few related posts I don't think this unit is "soft start".  Until someone provides the correct term, I'm going to use "soft touch button".

I ran into the same thing, found a fix.  Try this to see if it will work with your unit:
1) keep the power button on the device depressed during this entire test
2) plug the cord into a normal wall outlet. Should turn on like normal.
3) Unplug from wall outlet, turns off.
4) Plug in, should turn on again.
5) repeat till you get bored.

If this works with yours then it should be X10 controllable.  My unit is a Bilt-Safe Beautyrest heated blanket, which I do not recommend for use with X10 since it defaults to the lowest heat setting when powered on (and uses soft touch buttons to change heat setting, annoying and not controllable).  I'm going to replace it with a Sunbeam heated mattress pad for two reasons.  First, heat rises, and it makes more sense to have the heating unit under you than on top of you.  Second, the sunbeam controller remembers it's heat setting, so you can leave it on high and just have X10 turn it on/off.  I plan to turn mine on 1/2 hour before bed, then turn it off when I get in bed, since my only gripe is getting into a cold bed. 

Note - I just started playing with X10 this week, and know almost nothing about AC power or switches, so I can't say whether this solution is safe or not, that's up to you to decide.  At a minimum, keep a fire extinguisher handy for the first few days, and don't leave it unattended.

I still have my electric blanket on X10 Address B1.  I cannot turn the blanket on by X10, but since the blanket won't turn itself off for 10 hours after being turned on, so X10 turns the appliance module off at 7:30 AM weekdays and 9:00 AM Weekends.  I have a mental note to go into the bedroom and turn on the blanket controllers on between 9:00 PM and 9:30 PM to turn it on.   All electric blankets manufactured in the last two years cannot be left on after a preset time that is built-in to the controllers.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »

...The appliances and devices (and even our homes) we want to automate aren't [often] designed to be automated....
Fortunately more and more items are coming with remotes these days. Sometimes remotes can be hacked or even better learned by smarter remotes that can be automated.
(I've yet to see a remote controlled electric blanket, however. rofl)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

... Fortunately more and more items are coming with remotes these days.

Yep. I think the idea of automation has spread... maybe even caught on. But that in itself... can be a problem. Virtually all (but one) coffee pots have had automated features added. So if you want to X10 [control] a coffee pot... there is the basic Mr Coffee model.

My setup is a blend of devices... and X10. I've found intergration to be simple in most cases. Sometimes the "other devices" just live their own life seperate and apart from my X10 setup.

But ether way... this is an automated life.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.