Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Install a XPS3 with a XP4A ?  (Read 5727 times)

amunoztico

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How Install a XPS3 with a XP4A ?
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »

Dear friends,

Hi Everyone !!

I have a few question I'd like to get your help in order to answer them.

- How can I install a XPS3 with a XP4A? Do you have a diagram for that?  ??? I downloaded the XPS3 Instruction (http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpt.pdf) but the third page shows only the installation for a XPT1... My concerns is about the traveler wires for my second and third wall switches.

I'd really appreciate your help with these questions.

Regards 

Boiler

Re: How Install a XPS3 with a XP4A ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »

Dear friends,

Hi Everyone !!

I have a few question I'd like to get your help in order to answer them.

- How can I install a XPS3 with a XP4A? Do you have a diagram for that?  ??? I downloaded the XPS3 Instruction (http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpt.pdf) but the third page shows only the installation for a XPT1... My concerns is about the traveler wires for my second and third wall switches.

I'd really appreciate your help with these questions.

Regards 

Hello amunoztico,

The short answer to your question is - the XP4A can be wired using the same diagram as the XPT1: http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps3.pdf

Now for the long answer:
The XPT1 and XP4a are both transmitters.  They do not require a physical connection to the device(s) they are communicating with.  They are simply connected to power and neutral and "communicate" over the powerline to other X10 switches.  They cannot directly control a load - only another switch tied to a load.

The figure on page 3 of the XPS3 installation is a "convenient" way of using the travelers in a 3-way configuration with a XP4a.  You are essentially using the existing travelers to provide a power and neutral connection to the XP4a.  Because the switch "transmits" over the powerline, only the power and neutral connections are required for all of the switch functions to operate (switch 1 - 3 and allon/off).

Cheers,
Boiler

amunoztico

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

Hi Boiler .. thanks for your help.

Just one more question.. In case the transmitter and receiver are in a different circuit, could be an issue or they should work?

Regards!

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

amunoztico,

Since the XP4a is a transmitter, it is designed to be installed on any circuit in your house.  This assumes the normal X10 rules:

• If circuits are on opposite phases, you may need an X10 Phase coupler to communicate from phase a to phase b.
  • Noisy devices or devices that absorb X10 signals may require filters

amunoztico

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »

Thanks Boiler..  As you can see, I'm a new user !!! jejeje

Currently, there are in the market fluorescent dimmable (CFL) lights... What X10 Pro switch would you suggest me install to dim those lights? Thanks again.

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

Thanks Boiler..  As you can see, I'm a new user !!! jejeje

Currently, there are in the market fluorescent dimmable (CFL) lights... What X10 Pro switch would you suggest me install to dim those lights? Thanks again.

amunoztico,

Not a problem - we were all new users at one time.

Unfortunately, I have 0 experience using dimmable CFL's with X10 brand switches.  I have used them with lamp modules. 

The difference is that most X10 and X10 pro dimmer switches are two wire devices.  They need to pass a small amount of current through the connected light to be able to communicate.  This can be a problem with a CFL of any type.

The lamp modules are 3 wire devices - they connect to power, the load (light), and to neutral.  The neutral connection allows them to communicate without passing current through the CFL. 

I have used both Leviton and Smarthome brand X10 dimmer switches with dimmable CFLs.  Both of the switch models use neutral connections for communication.

We don't have a lot of recent info regarding dimmable CFL's on the forum.  The most recent thread is located here: http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14361.0

In general, I suggest that you proceed slowly.  When I did try the dimmable CFL's I was dissatisfied with both the warm up time required and the dimmable range of the lamps. 

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.