Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just can't seem to get it all right  (Read 14498 times)

ENC

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Just can't seem to get it all right
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »

I purchased an X-10 Security System along with Active Home Pro back in January of 08.  I have made numerous calls for technical support and sometimes it works.  I had an appointment for a call back once and missed it and never heard from the tech person again.  Hold times are we long but I still have given up hope that one day these components are going to sync and work fine.  My question is when I try to register my window sensors I get extra zones lighting up.  If I am working on zone three and I push the test button, I get several zones respond now I am up to zone six on one push of the test button.

I've wanted to be able to turn on and off an RCA transmitter using Active Home Pro.  Never could get tech support to help with this.  Should I buy and x10 transmitter will this over come the problem.  I wanted the transmitter to work with a micro but that hasn't happen because I am not sure how the logic works on programming the micro.  Many the system is to much for me to handle.

If there is someone that helps with this without me taking up hours upon hours on hold I would appreciate the help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Just can't seem to get it all right
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »

If there is someone that helps with this without me taking up hours upon hours on hold I would appreciate the help.

Welcome to the forums ENC!

No there isn't any ONE person that can explain everything and walk you through setups and problem solving step-by-step... and not take up hours of your time. However you've found the forums... and a wealth of knowledge and information is deposited here. Composed in our own words by users like yourself.

A little searching and reading should provide you with all information and help you need. If you don't find what you need feel free to ask any question you may need help with. Be as specific as possible.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:26 AM »

On the security console. It sounds like the same sensor may have registered to more than one zone.
You may want to try from scratch. Unplug the console and remove the battery. Wait for at least a few minutes and then start from scratch.

On the transmitter control. You wanted to control the AC power into it. If so do you know the current needed to run it so we maybe able to find you a suitable module to do what you need.

AHP should be able to control a module for you. There maybe other things we may need to address. Like signal suckers or noise generators that effect the X10 power line signals.

Oh yes welcome to the forums.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
RE: Security Console DS7000 Installation (and a safety tip)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:01:13 AM »

RE: Security Console DS7000 Installation (and a safety tip)
Safety tip:  When replying to or writing a post, be sure your login doesn’t time out.  All of the work you’ve just typed will be lost if your forum session time-out before you hit the POST button!
Installing the DS7000 (console):
Things to remember:
1.   Only security sensors and remotes can be installed on the DS7000
2.   Security Remotes can be installed more than once, and they “eat” one of the 8 possible slots each time they’re reinstalled.  After the 8 slots are used up, the DS7000 will continue to “DING” indicating registration, but the remote will NOT actually be installed.
3.   When writing AHP macros to ARM the DS7000 (AHP can NOT DisArm), a security remote MUST be installed 1st into AHP, then that remote must be installed into the DS7000 via a macro.
4.   The remote installed via MACRO eats up one of the 8 slots in the DS7000.
5.   Therefor – installing a security remote directly into the DS7000 uses a slot.  Installing that same remote into AHP, and then into the DS7000 via a macro, uses another slot.
6.   All security SENSORS transmit their state as a heartbeat – the DS10As send their state (Triggered or Closed) about every 60 minutes.  The MS10A's send theirs about every 90 minutes
7.   If your DS7000 is set to RUN2 – the console will DING everytime the DS10A sends a “Triggered” signal.  Therefor, it will DING everytime the contact is opened, AND if you leave the contact open, it will ding every hour when it receives the heartbeat.
8.   If the console does NOT receive a heartbeat for 4 hours (because the batteries died –OR- because it’s out of range), the console will assume the sensor died and will start flashing the cooresponding LED.
9.   If the batteries do die, or if you force a security code change (I believe by holding the TEST button to long), the sensor must be reinstalled into the console.
10.   If the sensor hasn’t changed its security code, it will reinstall back into the same position it was in. (I can’t remember if it does it automatically when its back in range, or if you have to do an INSTALL)
11.   You can do all of the installs while running on battery!  Plan what you want to install into which slot, then carry the un-plugged console around to the sensors to install them.
12.   If you have MS10A (motion sensors), turn them to the wall or put them face-down as you move about so as to not have them interfere with your installation sequencing.

While determining the best location for your console, leave the DS7000's slide switch on RUN2 - then go to each sensor and trip it.  If you hear the ding - you're within range, if not, move the console.  Then move the switch to RUN1 or the hourly heartbeats will cause to console to DING (if they're open) and it might reduce the WAF.  :'

Lastly, get the sensors and remotes installed where you want them, and get the console located where you want it BEFORE you make the voice recording.  It get's wiped whenever you wipe the console's memory - and unless you're either perfect or don't want to be, you'll reinstall everything at least twice  ;D

I’ve now written this twice and have to go to a meeting.  Does this help?
Welcome to the club!  Please feel free to ask anything!

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »

Nice write up PajamaGuy   #:)
Definitely worth a helpful point and a spot in one of my stickies!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »

:)% Great explanation and a Helpful from me.
Much more details on how security consoles and sensors work.
 >!  #:)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »

I think everyone has noticed what a great job PajamaGuy is doing here at the forum! Thank You for helping.   #:)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:33:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 05:40:54 AM »

Reading, searching, messaging, more searching, and more reading the posts that you'all took the time to create has helped me (and certainly entertained me)  -  I'm just "puttin' some back".

... and I thank you and Tuicemen for the compliment!
:)
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.