Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some help, Heyu and W800RF32A  (Read 21187 times)

shadowhywind

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need some help, Heyu and W800RF32A
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »

So 6 months later, I finally decided to buy the W800RF32A. Should hopefully get here sometime on thursday/friday. (So excited to get it all hooked up with a few motion sensors and the door/window sensor!!). But my question is There isn't really any good documentation that I have found with W800RF32 and Heyu. So does any one have suggestions /configs on how to connect all of this together? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Need some help, Heyu and W800RF32A
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

So 6 months later, I finally decided to buy the W800RF32A. Should hopefully get here sometime on thursday/friday. (So excited to get it all hooked up with a few motion sensors and the door/window sensor!!). But my question is There isn't really any good documentation that I have found with W800RF32 and Heyu. So does any one have suggestions /configs on how to connect all of this together? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you have Heyu up and running and have some familiarity with it.

Connect the W800RF32A to a serial port, say it's /dev/ttyS1
Add this line to your Heyu configuration file:
   TTY_AUX  /dev/ttyS1  W800RF32A
Run at the command prompt  'heyu restart'

Open another xterm window and at the prompt run 'heyu monitor'.
Actuate a DS10A Door Window sensor by opening the door or window.
In the Heyu monitor window you should then see a line appear like this:
  03/03 21:32:25   rcva func       RFdata : Type Sec ID 0x2C Data 0x08
(The "rcva" indicates the signal is received from the auxiliary device, the W800RF32A in this case.)
Record the ID (0x2C in this case) for this particular sensor.

Repeat for other security sensors.  The ID for each sensor must be unique.  If not, press the reset button on the sensor for a couple of seconds and a new one will be assigned.

In your Heyu configuration file, map each sensor module type and ID to an otherwise unused Housecode|unit address (say K1) with an ALIAS statement, e.g.:
  ALIAS  Kitchen_Door  K1  DS10A  0x2C
where the format is:
  ALIAS  <alias_label>   <Housecode|Unit>  <module_type (DS10A, MS10A, etc)>  <ID>
Again run at the command prompt 'heyu restart'

Now when you actuate the sensor again by opening and closing the door you should see in the monitor window something like:
  03/03 21:34:15  rcva func   Alert : Hu K1 swMax (Kitchen_Door)
  03/03 21:34:25  rcva func  Clear : Hu K1 swMax (Kitchen_Door)
(where a flag swMax or swMin indicates the position of the Max/Min slider switch on the DS10A)

Run at the prompt 'man x10aux' for more details, and 'man x10scripts' for what you can do with these security signals when you receive them.

For further questions (and answers from experienced Heyu users), join the heyu_users forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users and post your questions there.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

shadowhywind

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »

all I have to say is wow! Did not expect such a detailed response, THANKS!  That should make the configuration part a lot easier. Now I just have to wait for the stupid W800RF32A to get here, just found out that the place I ordered it from had them on back order, got them to up the shipping to next day, I should hopefully have it on monday. Once again thanks again!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »

all I have to say is wow! Did not expect such a detailed response, THANKS!  That should make the configuration part a lot easier. Now I just have to wait for the stupid W800RF32A to get here, just found out that the place I ordered it from had them on back order, got them to up the shipping to next day, I should hopefully have it on monday. Once again thanks again!

After looking over the Heyu man pages, it's clear that a "Getting Started" section needs to be added to x10aux(5).  Thanks for bringing this deficiency to light.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »

Whoops, one correction:
After adding the TTY_AUX line to the configuration file, run 'heyu start' instead of 'heyu restart'.  This is necessary to start up the heyu_aux background process which reads the RF data from the W800RF32A.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

shadowhywind

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »

Ok it finally came in the mail today!! I am running into an issue though. after adding the line into x10config, running heyu start and heyu monitor, if I move the magnet away from the door/window sensor nothing is picked up. Any ideas? is this a sign that i have the x10config file wrong?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »

Ok it finally came in the mail today!! I am running into an issue though. after adding the line into x10config, running heyu start and heyu monitor, if I move the magnet away from the door/window sensor nothing is picked up. Any ideas? is this a sign that i have the x10config file wrong?

Have you got the antenna securely attached to the W800RF32A and the power supply plugged in?  (It may or may not receive from a short distance without the antenna.)

Briefly press the TEST button on the DS10A.  Does the LED on the sensor blink?

Note: When you put batteries in the DS10A for the first time, initialize it by pressing and holding the TEST button for 1-2 seconds.  When you release the button the LED on the sensor should blink twice.  If you haven't done this, do it now.

Are you sure you've correctly identified the serial port the W800RF32A is connected to?

Do your have read/write permission for this port?

If you send an RF signal from a PalmPad or other standard X10 remote, e.g., "A1 ON", do the following lines appear in the monitor?
  ... snda addr   unit 1 : Hu A1 (...)
  ... snda func       On : Hc A
(The "snda" indicates the signal was received from the W800RF32A and directly transceived by heyu_aux)

If the problem remains unresolved, send a personal message to me on this board with an email address which can receive attachments and we'll follow up with more troubleshooting.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

shadowhywind

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »

Well I finally got everything connected, and it sees the sensor. Now its just setting up a script to turn on a light. Which i am having issues with, any input would be greatly appricated! hehe. Thanks for all the help

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »

Well I finally got everything connected, and it sees the sensor. Now its just setting up a script to turn on a light. Which i am having issues with, any input would be greatly appricated! hehe. Thanks for all the help

Would you mind terribly if we continue this discussion on the heyu_users forum where the subject matter will be of interest to many.  The membership of this forum is probably 98% Windows OS and and X10 Windows software users.  Thanks.

Just go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users  and click on the blue "Join this group" button.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.