Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Damn Small Linux (DSL) and X-10  (Read 10006 times)

EdMar

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Damn Small Linux (DSL) and X-10
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:42 AM »

Don't know if anyone has thought of it yet but I betcha that some real smart young programmers could get a home automation system running under Damn Small Linux and in fact run it from a bootable usb thumb drive. That way if you wanted it you could just plug it in or just leave it all the time. Since DSL will run as a task under windows (dirty word) or even from a Live CD next to windows I know someone could put all those existing java scripts and perl scripts together to make a REALLY GOOD FREE home automation system.
How about it?? I know there are some smart people out there.

Or perhaps someone could come up with a toolbar written with java and each little applet would perform a unique but tied in function. For example see how the Trellian tool bar works.  It is free and soo iis the toolkit to make your own toolbar. Do I hear someone stepping up to the plate for a chalenge??

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Damn Small Linux (DSL) and X-10
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »

Don't know if anyone has thought of it yet but I betcha that some real smart young programmers could get a home automation system running under Damn Small Linux and in fact run it from a bootable usb thumb drive. That way if you wanted it you could just plug it in or just leave it all the time. Since DSL will run as a task under windows (dirty word) or even from a Live CD next to windows I know someone could put all those existing java scripts and perl scripts together to make a REALLY GOOD FREE home automation system.
How about it?? I know there are some smart people out there.

Or perhaps someone could come up with a toolbar written with java and each little applet would perform a unique but tied in function. For example see how the Trellian tool bar works.  It is free and soo iis the toolkit to make your own toolbar. Do I hear someone stepping up to the plate for a chalenge??

Take a look at Heyu  (http://www.heyu.org).  People are running Heyu on NSLU2, Routers, Buffalo, and other toasters.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.