Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to use response codes from PR511 Motion Detector?  (Read 4696 times)

Domino

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to use response codes from PR511 Motion Detector?
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:39:39 AM »

Despite my searching and following all kinds of links, I haven't yet grasped the exact nature of how to use the signals generated by this device.

I have 3 of them, and they are the 'engine' of my security system, and just about everything will flow from these sensors, so I really need to get a grasp on how they work! I am a noob to AHP, and am in the process of installing the hardware (PR511s, socketrockets, powerhorns, with other stuff later), and testing simple things first.

My first disappointment was a simple way to invoke "If it's night time, turn on SocketRocket C2", for example. It seems I have to set up a dummy device to use as a trigger, then set up the conditions, then keep checking the dummy or use flags, etc...seems like a lot of extra BULK in there to do a very simple task! Am I missing something fundamental here!?

Ok, on to my more specific questions. Please forgive the detail, but I want to make sure I get things right, hopefully the first time! So here it is:

PR511 set to B1

When motion detector sensor is triggered (Floods turned ON), the log reads:

Receive B5
Receive B4
Receive B3
Receive B2
Receive B On

When motion detector is turned off (Floods turned OFF) by delay setting in the PR511, the log reads:

Receive B5
Receive B4
Receive B3
Receive B2
Receive B Off

When the PR511 is turned ON with the software module "Switch" (Floods turned ON), the log reads:

Transmit B1
Transmit B On

and, again, when turned OFF, the log reads:

Transmit B1
Transmit B Off

My questions are:

1. Are the "Receive B(2-5)" signals essentially CONTROL SIGNALS (On/Off) I can use to slave other devices? Ex: Can I program a LM15A SocketRocket to address B2 and expect it to follow the B2 signal received from the PR511?

2. If I can't (or can!) do 1., then can I use these as TRIGGERS for other modules, including the LM15A? Ex: Macro = [Trigger B2] AND IF NIGHT TIME is TRUE, then C2 ON (C2 is the address of the LM15A)

3. Is the address B1 somehow off limits here? Can I use B1, for example, as a TRIGGER address, instead of B2?

4. When I get "Receive B2", is that a STATUS that can be tested at some point later, i.e. in between the "B On" and "B Off" signals?

TIA for the help. Hopefully I will eventually learn enough I can reciprocate!

Domino

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How to use response codes from PR511 Motion Detector?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 01:21:09 AM »

.... I really need to get a grasp on how they work! I am a noob to AHP, and am in the process of installing the hardware (PR511s, socketrockets, powerhorns, with other stuff later....

The floodlights are simple.

Whatever house/unit code the PR511 is set on the next four codes (called + codes) are turned on (if set to turn on) buy motion. The following additional + four code are turned On/Off (if set to) by darkness. The way to get a code to trigger is by sliding the slider to "in". To get the darkness trigger to work correctly... be sure to adjust the dial to the correct amount of darkness. If the level is set to always be on... you lose the darkness On/Off trigger.

If the PR511 is set at B1 - B2, B3, B4, B5 will all be triggered by motion (if these are set IN). B6, B7, B8, B9 will be triggered by darkness (also... if set IN). If the PR511 is set at B12... the numbers wrap around when they past 16 and then return to 1. The + four for motion would use up the 16, and the darkness numbers would be 1-4.

If you want a responce only if dark... you need not use a macro to do that... simply set the PR511 to only trigger at night.

I also use the floodlights as part of my perimeter detection system. I use BVC and the floodlights trigger on cameras (that automatically displays on my TV) and announce inside and outside that motion has been detection. Check out those links as well as this one.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:04:04 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Domino

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:38:56 AM »

Dave,

Well, learned something new! I had no idea the additional "+" codes were for "darkness"!

Ok, now to my question about the SocketRocket.

Can I program a B2 address in one, plug it in, and expect it to slave to the B2 signal from the motion sensor?

Or do I have to turn the SocketRocket on indirectly via macro, flag/status conditions?

Thanks.

Domino

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:43:05 AM »

Ok, now to my question about the SocketRocket. Can I program a B2 address in one, plug it in, and expect it to slave to the B2 signal from the motion sensor?

Yes! If the PR511 is set to B1... then B2 would be triggered ON by motion.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:44:44 AM by Dave_x10_L »

Domino

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »

Ok, now to my question about the SocketRocket. Can I program a B2 address in one, plug it in, and expect it to slave to the B2 signal from the motion sensor?

Yes! If the PR511 is set to B1... then B2 would be triggered ON by motion.

Thanks, I will set that up tomorrow and 'play' with it. The problem with these motion sensors are that once installed, it is difficult to test w/o trudging outside, get in their range, then back inside to see the results!

I imagine it would be costly, but would be great to change all those settings via AHP rather than going up the ladder all the time.

Anyway, last question tonight, gotta call it a day:

DO those addresses, B2, etc, STAY ON until the OFF signal is received? Or do I have to set a flag if I want to use them a few seconds later after the initial on trigger?

Thanks again!

Domino

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »

..... The problem with these motion sensors are that once installed, it is difficult to test w/o trudging outside, get in their range, then back inside to see the results!

Yes... The motion sensors (and cameras) can involve climbing ladders and tromping in and outside during the setup process.

DO those addresses, B2, etc, STAY ON until the OFF signal is received? Or do I have to set a flag if I want to use them a few seconds later after the initial on trigger?

The motion sensor itself... has a time/duration setting [TIME DELAY]. That setting will determan how long a light stays on.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:59:19 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:52:42 PM »

After re-reading your posts... and doing a little thinking (I've had my coffee now). I get the impression your attempting to do with AHP... what the floodlights do by themselves.

The floodlight unit is a stand-alone device... and a darn handy one at that. A floodlight can turn lights (its own lights or other lights) on at dark (dusk)... then turn them off at dawn. It can also turn "other" lights on when motion is detected (as well as its own floodlights)... and then after motion has stopped... delay and then turn those lights off. The PR511 unit itself has the means and setting to do this built-in to the unit as a stand-alone. No AHP setting or use of the CM15A is required.

There are some great uses for the AHP and CM15A. Even when using the floodlights... you can get added advantage's using AHP. Imagine your using 3 floodlights... at both sides and also at the back of your home. One PR511 is set at B1, one at C1, and the 3rd... say at the back of your home... is set at D1. You could use an AHP macro to turn on the (D1) flood in the back (yard) if ether of the side floodlights is triggered by motion. While still using the built-in abilities of the PR511 to turn on inside lights.... (possibly) on the side of the home where motion was detected.

As you saw in my "activity detected" video <link... the camera(s), the lights, the video sender/receiver.. was all done by the PR511 Floodlight. The Voice Announcement however was done by BVC triggered by the (AHP) CM15A interface.

I also use the PR511 in conjunction with AHP for night lighting control. The light sensor built-in to the PR511 turns ON nightlights for me.... however I have a AHP timer that turns them OFF late at night (so they don't burn till dawn). However the dawn sensor can also trigger a macro.... which in turn could turn other lights OFF (that might still be ON from pre-dawn use).

The floodlights (PR511) are the heart of my Perimeter Detection System.... and I wouldn't want to live without AHP and BVC... for both convenience and security.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:16:30 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Domino

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »

Dave,

I did watch the video and check out the BVC; VERY INTERESTING on what can be done with that. I tried to do something similar 10 years or so ago with a Voice Command system using Windows, but the problem was the voice recognition within windows was too limited, and the microphone tech available to do what I wanted was too expensive. I was overly ambitious in attempting a "Star Trek" level of computer/voice recognition/response. My goals now are more  "down to earth", and the PR511 is a fantastic device to achieve those goals.

I am setting up exactly what you describe, i.e. a bunch of "slave" lights and alarms, inside as well as outside. Additionally I will have the slave units do other things, such as cycle outside lights on/off rapidly, turn on/off other equipment, etc. I am in Mexico, and in my particular environment, need an extra layer of "gee-whiz" audible and visual indicators to impress the bad guys when I am away or sleeping...

I confirmed what you told me, and now have 3 SocketRockets dutifully doing slave duty. Still tweaking the dusk settings, and having a problem with one PR511 that points too close to the sun in the late afternoons, but will possibly be able to use an ActiveEye sensor to take over during those few hours.

Do you know of anyone that makes a 115vac weather proof combo Strobe light/Siren that is directly x10 compatible? I know I can rig a Universal Module to control a relay to control a siren and/or strobe, but looking for one already packaged that I can simply hook to a 115vac source and go!

Thanks for the help; most appreciated!

Domino

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »

I did watch the video and check out the BVC; VERY INTERESTING on what can be done with that. I tried to do something similar 10 years or so ago with a Voice Command system using Windows, but the problem was the voice recognition within windows was too limited, and the microphone tech available to do what I wanted was too expensive. I was overly ambitious in attempting a "Star Trek" level of computer/voice recognition/response. My goals now are more  "down to earth", and the PR511 is a fantastic device to achieve those goals.

Yes! Much has changed in the last ten years. I use $17 babymonitors for my whole microphone system.

I am setting up exactly what you describe, i.e. a bunch of "slave" lights and alarms, inside as well as outside. Additionally I will have the slave units do other things, such as cycle outside lights on/off rapidly.......

The BAD thing about using X10 to cycle On/Off quickly... is it can flood the powerline with signals. This can destabilize your setup. Consider a simple screw-in "flasher unit" on the lights you wish to flash while motion is detected.

.....having a problem with one PR511 that points too close to the sun in the late afternoons, but will possibly be able to use an ActiveEye sensor to take over during those few hours.

Don't forget two things.

• White electrical tape can be used to block off areas where you don't want activity detected.
  • The placement of the sun is directly related to season.... it will move on you.

Do you know of anyone that makes a 115vac weather proof combo Strobe light/Siren that is directly x10 compatible? I know I can rig a Universal Module to control a relay to control a siren and/or strobe, but looking for one already packaged that I can simply hook to a 115vac source and go!

No... unless some other member here can post a suggestion.... you might just have to search the Internet. (Years ago... a friend accomplished something similar using a 12 volt battery and a truck horn.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:15:43 PM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.