Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My X10 Money Pit - One Year Later  (Read 4258 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
My X10 Money Pit - One Year Later
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »

My X10 Money Pit will always be a “work-in-progress” but I’ve reached a plateau, and I have it documented.  So I thought I’d share it with my X10 friends – it may be of use for someone starting out.  …and I realize that it will be out-of-date by this afternoon, but so what – if my hobby was racing airplanes it would much more dangerous, and a tad more costly!

PJ

p.s. – Please feel free to point out mistakes, make critisms and suggestions.  This wouldn’t be possible without the folks at the forum.

This file is a Word 2007 file.  Rename it to have a .docx extension.  If you need a converter to open it in 2003, you can download one from Microsoft for free.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: My X10 Money Pit - One Year Later
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »

Your link is not a Word 2007 file, it's a corrupt WordPad file. When I downloaded it, WordPad displayed total gibberish.  Want to try again with a Word link?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »

Save as ................"docx".  Works fine in Word 2003 with conversion from Word 2007.  Good job, PJ.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:08:57 PM by JMac »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:31:57 PM »

Saved as a docx worked fine for me. Very nice write-up!

It's always nice (I think) to read how one of us got here (with X10). You've accomplished a lot in a short bit of time. A very (high) nice plateau.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »

PJ,

I have come back to this post numerous times trying to come up with the proper words to describe what you have given the forum.  I have never seen anywhere near this level of integration (automation, security, video recording, and email) documented to anywhere near this degree.  You've pretty much covered the entire AHP package.

I also love the fact that you've approached this as a "living document" with to do lists and corrections (strikeouts).  This logbook approach tends to prevent having to learn the same thing over again (something I am guilty of).

In short, thank you for this wonderful contribution to the forum.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:26:25 AM »

Thanks Boiler - I appreciate the kudos from one of the gurus!

...having to learn the same thing over again ...

Yeah - I've written numerous other documents on conditionals, when a macro must be run from PC, etc., but I still keep forgetting and making the same mistakes over and over.  I'll next start working on adding those "rules" into the master document and maybe add a parameter to the macro listing to indicate its storage/run location.

I'm also thinking that "things" in general run just a tad differently in 236 than they did in 228.  Until last week, I was on 228 - then support emailed me 236.  Now my lighting reset macros run multiple times - I'll have to do some tracing.

So here's a question - How does AHP know the DS7000 is armend?  OK, it doesn't "know", but it "thinks" its armed/disarmed.  Does it simply keep track of any REGISTERED security sensor's arm/disarm signals?  And where does it store that status?  For instance, I disarmed the system via Security remote this morning as usual, but the status in AHP didn't change until I exited and re-loaded AHP.

Thanks again - (and when I'm ready to try to understand SCENEs I'll holler!  - Heck, I'll holler now - Why use scenes?  Somewhere I have a macro the results in setting the lights at 1 hour before Dusk - Turns on and dims 4 lamp modules and 1 appliance module (40w bulb).  It works, it does the lamps in sequence, and it's even quite a conversation starter when guests notice it (of course I point it out).  So why/what would be different to the observer if  I did SCENE lighting?)
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Boiler

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »

I'm also thinking that "things" in general run just a tad differently in 236 than they did in 228.  Until last week, I was on 228 - then support emailed me 236.  Now my lighting reset macros run multiple times - I'll have to do some tracing.

So here's a question - How does AHP know the DS7000 is armend?  OK, it doesn't "know", but it "thinks" its armed/disarmed.  Does it simply keep track of any REGISTERED security sensor's arm/disarm signals?  And where does it store that status?  For instance, I disarmed the system via Security remote this morning as usual, but the status in AHP didn't change until I exited and re-loaded AHP.

PJ,
I'm sorry but you're already way beyond my level with your current security setup.  All of my system is hardwired (built the house in 2000 and wired it after framing).  I think you're leading the way here.

I did try using 3.228 for a very short period of time.  I really did not like the LM14a interface in that release. 

3.236 also has a gotcha where you can't use a LM14a at a "1" unitcode (i.e. A1, B1).  You can define a LM14a with an address of A1, but AHP will treat it as a LM465a (no extended codes).

Thanks again - (and when I'm ready to try to understand SCENEs I'll holler!  - Heck, I'll holler now - Why use scenes?  Somewhere I have a macro the results in setting the lights at 1 hour before Dusk - Turns on and dims 4 lamp modules and 1 appliance module (40w bulb).  It works, it does the lamps in sequence, and it's even quite a conversation starter when guests notice it (of course I point it out).  So why/what would be different to the observer if  I did SCENE lighting?)

When you use a scene, all of the intelligence is programmed into the switch(s) itself.  A single command from AHP (called the Group Execute Trigger) causes all of the members of that scene to react that the same time.  It's quicker, puts far less traffic on the powerline (more reliable), and from my viewpoint more "esthetically pleasing".

If you are already using the LM14a interface (extended codes), you've made a huge improvement in speed and reliability over the old bright/dim command set (LM465, WS467, etc).  Using scenes is more or less the next step - not necessary, but I believe they are an improvement.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:47:34 PM by Boiler »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.