Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you hide your wireless cameras?  (Read 2696 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
How do you hide your wireless cameras?
« on: December 04, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »

I run a recording studio out of my home.
I have a sign on the front door that says:
"Smile your on camera" in English and Spanish.

I'm getting a x10 wireless camera and wonder how shall I hide it.
I've seen in hidden in a birdhouse, that's good.
How else might I do this?

Thanks,

:Ron

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How do you hide your wireless cameras?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »

I'm getting a x10 wireless camera and wonder how shall I hide it. I've seen in hidden in a birdhouse, that's good. How else might I do this?

I hid a camera in a birdhouse and included it in my X10 video I even said the "X10 cameras are tiny and easy to hide". The birdhouse allows me to move the camera around too... so it isn't limited to a permanent install.

But actually I don't hide all my cameras! I really like having a big honken (other brand) IR camera (currently) mounted on a ninja. It's not just easy to spot... it is hard to miss. I believe that for cameras to be a good deterrent... they must also be seen. However... not wishing to look like a prison or compound... I don't want all my cameras to be easily spotted.

• I have tested putting a wireless camera inside my lamp post light... the camera could see through the glass just fine... and the post didn't interfer with the RF.
  • I have set the cameras "inside" looking out through the window. There is an extra benefit to that, as in my state, I can also record audio from a camera mounted in my home (as I understand it).
  • I had a tiny white camera... that matched my homes white trim. Although it actually wasn't hidden.... no one ever spotted it.
  • X10 cameras mount easily to trees... and if done right are very hard to spot.
  • Mounting a camera on the sewage drainage vent (that pipe(s) on your roof) will never be spotted.
  • Lawn decorations (like a trellis) can be a great way to get a camera in a certain area.
  • Cameras peek out through the attic vents fairly good too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:31:14 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

I can always count on you Dave.

That's right, it was your video where I saw the birdhouse cam.
Great ideas, all of them.

It's time to make my sign legit. - Just because I can I suppose.  ;D

I'm going to push the x10 envelope a tad bit more with guitar amp mics mounted on a Ninja, mounted on a mic stand, to find the mic sweet spot without an assistant. Some cameras, Then I'll have to record what the camera sees.  ::)
And I really want to order x10 around so BVC will be very soon.

We had some house guests over for Thanksgiving. my wife ever so casually (I saw this out of the corner of my eye) picked up the ICON remote and popped off a macro and lit some lights in the living room. To oohs and aahs from the guests. To wit I said "aw it's just a glorified clapper"

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:44:49 PM »

................. To wit I said "aw it's just a glorified clapper"

I have my Kate sing the clapper song for me! Well... actually she used to sing that for me. But now when I ask her to sing the clapper song she says "yeah. Pull my finger". (I swear Kate acts more like a wife everyday).

If you really want to impress guests.... BVC is the way to go. I was with my wife shopping one day. When she handed a check to the salesperson the salesperson said "Oh your the people with the computer house and the theater". She had heard our name from a friend that had visited here once.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:02:31 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.