Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ahx files  (Read 8514 times)

woodwizzard

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ahx files
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »

I want to back up my ahx files before i reinstall a new copy of the AHPro software.  Looked inc/ Program files/Active home pro/  There are 15 files  but I don't see any >ahx files.  Am I missing something?  I assume that they exist because I have purged the CMA and re downloaded macros and timers and all seem to work.  Not sure where they are located.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: ahx files
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »

In the "activehome pro" folder are you sure you don't see a file called something like "myhome.AHX"?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »

ALL.ahx files are located in C:/Program Files/Active HomePro.  myhome.AHX and samples.ahx are installed when you install Active Home Pro.  Any new files are also placed there by the user.  If you loaded myhome.ahx and modified it, AHP will overwrite it.  I have 13 customize .ahx files, all are always backed up to separate media after every change.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »

If I recall correctly, the user can choose to save the .ahx files in other than the default folder, and the chosen folder then becomes the default.  (I may be mistaken since I haven't run AHP for some time now.)

In any case, use the Windows file search facility to search for files with ".AHX" in the filename.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »

woodwizzard
In XP by default it hides file extentions for known file types!
You may have to click on Tools in the folder then View then uncheck "hide extentions for known file types"!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »

woodwizzard
In XP by default it hides file extentions for known file types!
You may have to click on Tools in the folder then View then uncheck "hide extentions for known file types"!

Good point!

#:)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

woodwizzard

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »

Thx to all for the advice!  Embarrassed to say that the file extensions were hidden due to my oversight....  should have known better!  I do have a myhome.ahx file.  I still admit to being a bit of a neophyte  so I still need to know if this file contains all the data files I need to back up.  If I copy and paste this file into a My Docs location and uninstall the existing software, reinstall the new copy of the program and paste the myhome.axh file back into active home pro folder will I be moving in the right direction?
Appreciate your patience with a "newbie".

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:37:11 PM »

woodwizzard Yes it contains all macros, timers, rooms and modules!
Make sure you save the AHX file that you use as there are some sample ones if  I remember correctly!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

woodwizzard

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »

Will do....thx

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 07:15:59 AM »

Thx to all for the advice!  Embarrassed to say that the file extensions were hidden due to my oversight....  should have known better!  I

Don't be embarrassed.  Hiding filename extensions by default was not one of Microsoft's better ideas.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »

Which is why I told XP Home to show ALL file extensions and all files including system files right at the beginning.  Makes file handling a lot easier and trash file ID and clean out easy.  I clean out IE History and Temporary History out every day.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »

If I recall correctly, the user can choose to save the .ahx files in other than the default folder, and the chosen folder then becomes the default.

This is correct, however we need to keep a few things in mind.  AHP "remembers" where its current AHX file is.  Sometimes if you change AHX files, and don't close AHP correctly, upon the next start-up of AHP it will be using the WRONG file. (Always good to check on startup)

The instructions, on the Wiki and from Tech Support assume that you've kept the AHX file in the default location - so when the instructions say to delete the Active Home directory. they're ASSUMING you've deleted the current AHX file.  I had this problem because my AHX file was corrupt, and not deleted because it was in a non-default location.

A corrupt AHX file is like a hard drive - it's going to fail sometime - and when it does, are you going to be happy with a current backup  ;D ?  Or really bummed because you have to re-build?  :'(

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »

To add to all the good advice above...
Why not make sure you have the lastest ahx file you're using by saving it with a file name unique to you before backup. e.g. MYVERYOWN.ahx
While it's still a good idea to back up your file off line from time to time (a flash drive is perfect) and particularly preceding a reinstall, I believe an update/reinstall of AHP will not overwrite unique ahx files you have in the folder. While this is not a time to bet on my beliefs, if it does leave the file, recovery will be even faster.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.