Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'Controlling' swtich and the 'Companion': I don't understand the concept here.  (Read 6984 times)

skydiverMN

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Howdy all.

Is the 'companion' simply a switch that is controlled by a 'Controlling Switch', and this companion would be wired to control some other item?  Is the reason to use this method to save on occupying an itemID within a channel?

Can you give me an example?
This is me:  >*<

Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Howdy all.

Is the 'companion' simply a switch that is controlled by a 'Controlling Switch', and this companion would be wired to control some other item?  Is the reason to use this method to save on occupying an itemID within a channel?

Can you give me an example?
This is me:  >*<

Thanks.

You are close on your assumption of the companion switch. The Companion Switch is the "second switch" in a 3-way switch setup in your home. The "main switch" (the switch which has HCUC dials), such as a WS477 actually controls the light fixture and would be used as one of the two 3-way switches. The Companion switch is then used as the second switch. The companion switch sends a signal over the existing three-way wiring, which tells the WS477 to turn ON. The Companion switch is useless by itself and is always used as the second switch in 3-way, or 4-way circuits where X10 is used to control the light. X10 makes Companion switches in either button style or "Decora" paddle style to match the fixture controlling switch.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:21:12 PM by Dave_x10_L »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.