Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trouble in DS10A Land - Solved, with a coat hanger wire!  (Read 4149 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Trouble in DS10A Land - Solved, with a coat hanger wire!
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

Hi,

I bought a new DS10a for my garage door project. While having it on the table in the living room I was able to
simulate the opening and closing to the point where I had two macros firing off when the DS10a contacts came together. All I needed was a Saturday.

So, it's Saturday. I put the DS10 and it's contacts in a way that when the garage door opens they separate and fire my macro. Then when the door closes it brings the contacts together and fires the door closed macro.

Sweet! - I went to get my wife to show her how great I am. The door opens the flag sets the door closes the flag resets. Oooh the was so proud I think.  ;D

Then I noticed something. AHP was showing the contacts open when they were together! Why!?
I clicked install on the DS10a module in AHP. I got the familiar setup screen and hit the button on the DS10a itself and AHP said it saw the unit. Then AHP showed the contacts closed as they should. Hmmm....

So I opened the garage door and the contacts showed open. I closed the door, they showed closed.
I opened the door and left it open while I went out and cleaned some pesky ice from the driveway to kill time.
5 minutes later I came in and while watching AHP, I closed the door and oh no AHP did not show the contacts closed! - The contacts are right on top of one another with the arrows together. It seems to work great unless I leave it open for more than a minute or so.

As I was installing it and still on the ladder I was opening and closing it over and over quickly and it worked like a champ, but it seems if it's open and the contacts separated for just a little bit of time, this fault will occur.

:Ron
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:24:28 PM by bitman »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
Re: Trouble in DS10A Land :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:55:35 PM »

Sounds like a RF signal issue to me. I have the same type of inconsistent behavior with security signals reaching my CM15A -- even with my CM15A modded with an external antenna. How far from your CM15A antenna is the DS10A used for your garage door sensor? You might try moving the DS10A closer -- I moved mine inside the house and ran twisted pair wires through a small hole in the wall to the magnetic switch on the garage door. That's what I did, and it helped considerably.
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »

Sounds like a RF signal issue to me. I have the same type of inconsistent behavior with security signals reaching my CM15A -- even with my CM15A modded with an external antenna. How far from your CM15A antenna is the DS10A used for your garage door sensor? You might try moving the DS10A closer -- I moved mine inside the house and ran twisted pair wires through a small hole in the wall to the magnetic switch on the garage door. That's what I did, and it helped considerably.

Uh-hu.

I was reading around in here lo and behold there are some range issues with the cm15 and the ds10 even with one of the many flavors of cm15 antenna mods.

A helpful poster said that setting a coat hanger on top of the ds10 helped it's transmission range. Well having no wire coat hangers here I found a reasonable facsimile and wedged it behind the ds10a and the wall it was attached to. I walked away without testing it out of frustration but today we left the house this morning to go to church and when we arrived back at home I sheepishly checked AHP to find the the contacts showed closed and checking the activity log showed that it has been operational including the on the hour heartbeat.

These results are preliminary but promising.

:)%

:Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »

A passive reflector/deflector/booster.
Some posts have played with length of the wire. I use a thin 18 Ga. wire about 18" long. Play with the placement of the wire around or behind or near the sensor and that should help. You will see applying the same application to eagle/active sensor or the MS10a's also will help with reception.

Here is a little more info.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:24:52 PM by BaBaLou. »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.