Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Garage Door Open Chime  (Read 40179 times)

X10 Ken

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Garage Door Open Chime
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »

Hi All,

I have been using X-10 since shortly after it first came out.  I have a mix of X-10, Radio Shack, and BSR units.  However, I have not purchased any new equipment in the past 10 years.

Now I have moved into a new house and it's time to upgrade.

I'm getting an Active Home Pro and I want to be able to ring a chime every once in a while (30 to 60 minutes) if either if the garage doors are open.

It looks like I need a DS10A.  Is this correct?  Can I program a macro to do what I want?  Is there a better way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken
===

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Garage Door Open Chime
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »

Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

Ah yes.... the user created Garage Door Reminder! I refered it to thejfk for his "gate open reminder" .

I use the reminder macro with my BVC setup and my Of course I use a BVC voice announcement.... but a chime will work also. The Garage door announcement can be seen in my YouTube Video.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:25:06 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10 Ken

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »

Ok, I understand that it can be done with a PSC01 and some sensors.

What about the "Heartbeat" feature on the DS10A.  Would this work for me?

It seems more secure to have a unit that reports being left open rather than assuming it is open because that was the last event the computer received.

Ken
===

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »

Ok, I understand that it can be done with a PSC01 and some sensors. What about the "Heartbeat" feature on the DS10A.  Would this work for me? It seems more secure to have a unit that reports being left open rather than assuming it is open because that was the last event the computer received.

At the time I setup my garage door reminder (using a powerflash module).... I didn't own the On-Alert software (NOW included free with AHP). The DS10A works fine for what you have in mind. The "Heartbeat" feature simply reports the units status... and shouldn't effect the usefulness of your system. And yes.. it is more secure to have a unit that reports being left open (using the DS10A).

Others have also used the DS10A for garage door status reports.

Actually... I've purchased the On-Alert software since my garage door setup... and have used the DS10A to create an Automated Chair. As you can see in the YouTube Video.... I even created several macros all based on the same trigger (the DS10A)... but conditional to time. You could do the same to create "welcome home" macros... like lights turned on only if it's dark out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:32:49 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10 Ken

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:44:50 PM »

I thought I would post my final solution to the garage door left open problem.

It counts on the "Heartbeat" feature of the DS10A.

Assumes Flag #1 is clear at the start.  No big deal if it is not, it will just chime when the door opens for the first time.

Macro #1 - Garage Open 1
  Trigger: Garage DS10A Sensor Open
  Condition: Flag #1 is off
  Action: Set Flag #1 On

Macro #2 - Garage Closed
  Trigger: Garage DS10A Sensor Closed
  Condition: Flag #1 is On
  Action: Clear Flag #1

Macro #3 Garage Heartbeat Open
  Trigger: Garage DS10A Sensor Open
  Condition: Flag #1 is On
  Action: Chime On

These macros will cause a chime if the garage door is left open for an hour and every houri after that until it is closed.

Ken
===

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »

These macros will cause a chime if the garage door is left open for an hour and every houri after that until it is closed.

Pretty cool X10 Ken!

Is this a new setup... or have you been using this for a while now? I use the chime... actually I use the chime for a couple applications. What I've done (to avoid confusion and add WOW factor) is use a third-party software that allows me to have a Voice Announcement (which sounds a friendlier too). I use BVC but announcements can also be done with WavPlayer or PC Companion.

You can see Voice the announcement/Remeinder on a YouTube Video at my BVC Fan Site.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:20:38 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

X10 Ken

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »

Is this a new setup... or have you been using this for a while now?  What I've done (to avoid confusion and add WOW factor) is use a third-party software that allows me to have a Voice Announcement (which sounds a friendlier too).

Hi Dave,
I recently starting having some problems with my CM11A and decided to get into the semi-modern world of X10.  I got some new equipment upgrades and started from scratch, one project at a time.

The garage door was high priority because my wife and I have left it open on several occasions.

The voice information is on the list of things to do, but I want to make sure I don't get too dependent on the computer being up at any given time.

Now if I could only get my RF motion problem solved, I would be most of the way there to having a real system.

Ken
===

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

The garage door was high priority because my wife and I have left it open on several occasions.
The voice information is on the list of things to do, but I want to make sure I don't get too dependent on the computer being up at any given time.

I agree about the high priority of the garage door. Even though I would describe my neighborhood as safe... I don't like leaving a door open. I found the little pocket garage door openers are the fault (not memory).

I also hesitated to use AHP... AND the 24/7 PC. As far as PC's controlling our homes... we that do that may be a tiny bit ahead of the curve. But only if you don't count all the processor enabled devices that we do depend on. Even my alarm clock... has no clockworks.

I used an old P3 throwaway computer... and I also have a backup. YES.. I do depend on the computer to give my home smarts. But I am also doing it with the old dust collectors that used to wait around till we were certain they would never be used again. Of course... there are limits too. I am not sure I could get a P2 to do what I am doing. And I know... my built-to-be-bad custom P4.. is about join the ranks of Home Automation PC too. It has some scanning and imaging projects to finish 1st.

Now if I could only get my RF motion problem solved, I would be most of the way there to having a real system.

Have you searched or posted about that yet?

X10 Ken

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »

Have you searched or posted about that yet?

Yes, it's in the Macros section at http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17523.0

It seems to be a timing problem depending on when a second RF signal comes in while my flash loop is running.  I'm doing more tests right now.

Ken
===

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »

Where do you guys place your two garage door sensors?

I have 1/2 inch of snow and/or ice on the edge of the garage floor where the door meets the concrete for 9 months out of the year. And rain storms keep that area wet for the rest of the year. Not that where you all live stuff does not come from the sky.

I really want to do this. x10 excels at this sort of thing.

:Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »

I placed my sensors on the side of the garage door and they work fine.   

I used the magnetic switches from the DS10A Door and Window sensor and wired them to a PowerFlash module.  The switch is located on the side of the door.  The switches have been in place on both garage doors for about two years with no problems.  A light is turned on in our Foyer when the door is left open after dark.  The light also serves as an entry light when we get home late at night.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:41 PM »

I only have one sensor (only one wide overhead door). I used a wide-gap reed switch but I mounted the the switch on the frame at the top of the [overhead] door and the magnet part on the door [also at the top]. I have also seen pictures of setups with the switch near the motor mechanism.

The wide-gap reed switch was overkill on my part.... I am sure a regular (DS10A style) switch would have worked just as well. Many use the actual DS10A... but I wired my sensor to a powerflash module. 

This is an excellent use of X10. It has prevented the door from being accidentally left open several times.

X10 Ken

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

I first put my DS10A sensor on the side of the door, but when I raised the door the sensor hit the track and ripped it off the door.

I then put them (two sets/two doors) on the top of the doors.  I screw mounted the magnets through the aluminum at the top.  They did not mount flat, but the DS10A will work with a significant gap between the magnet and the switch.  I wired two sets of switches to a single DS10A.

Ken
===

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »

I've gone and done it.

I just bought a DS10A from the bay for a garage door alerter.
I guess I need to use that ON Alert to interface with it?
I have it.  ;D

What would be really cool and what I'm going to shoot for, is to have AHP in some way or another, call us on the phone or text us if the garage door is open for more that say 1/2 hour.
I'm always turning around to check to see if I closed it when I drove away. It has always been closed BTW.
It's one of those autopilot things you know.

For starters I'll just pop off a chime or sumpthin'
 >!
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.