Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard connected to Y Adaptor not switching  (Read 13358 times)

x10coach

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard connected to Y Adaptor not switching
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:49:34 PM »

Help help help here the prob have three vanguards cams due to to cam positions RF antenna is a problem.
decided to go wired.The cams when tested work perfectly with switching and reception using RF.The problem arises
when I go wired using a y adaptor. I get no switching function and two video feeds to the TV on on top each other
with a horizontal black line separating the two.Both video feeds scroll to the left ans washes each
other out Why is this. From the forums I read You could use Y adaptors because the cams switch on/off.
can someone please explain what is wrong.

TrinityEB

Re: Vanguard connected to Y Adaptor not switching
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »

Unfortunately the "switching on/off" of the cameras doesn't affect the wired connection, only the 2.4GHz signal (the wired signal is always on as long as there is power getting to the camera).  In order to switch between two or more wired cameras, you'll need a video quad processor/switcher (i.e. something like this: http://www.amazon.com/GRANDTEC-MAG-4000-Magic-Guard-Processor/dp/B0007LUSPE).  Also note that while the X10 Vanguard remote control could be used to control the pan/tilt/zoom of each camera using the "A, B, C, D" buttons, you would still need to switch camera feeds using the quad processor's controls.

-  Frank.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »

.. the prob have three vanguards cams...decided to go wired.I get no switching function and two video feeds to the TV on on top each other

Another [cheaper] option is simply use the X10 Universal Module to disconnect the hardwired [always on] video feed. I have tested this and it does work. I striped a RCA video cable... leaving the [outer] shielding wire intact. Then I cut and used the
video wire through the relay-like connections of the Universal Module (UM506). Switching the module on and off will then connect and disconnect the video feed.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TrinityEB

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »

Thanks for that info Dave.  I assume you'd need one UM506 for each camera, right?   Could the Vanguard CR15A Remote Control be used to control the UM506?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »

I assume you'd need one UM506 for each camera, right?   

Correct. One Universal Module (UM506) for each hardwired camera. If any one the cameras used are using the RF for video.. it doesn't require anything additional.

Could the Vanguard CR15A Remote Control be used to control the UM506?

I don't remember. Can the remote control "other" X10 devices like lights and modules?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.