Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yet Another Camera Modification  (Read 22278 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Yet Another Camera Modification
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

I've somewhat recently have been trying to ease myself into electronics.

I had read that a good tip is to save old electronic devices that would normally make there way to the trash. This (as I read) can provide useful raw materials for future, yet to be named, projects. Since I have also recently had a near lighting strike.. I had accumulated a handful of devices.

However... I don't really have the space for saving much of anything. So I decided to gleam resources from the few devices I had saved... before I threw them away.

One of the devices was a Linksys wireless router. Well how could I just pitch those two 2.4 GHZ antennas? After all.... I recently purchased a DEAL from X10 "a camera and a ninja". And being a regular reader here at the forum... I had read that on some setups the Ninja can rotate the patch antenna into a area of poor reception. Here was a perfect chance to finally resolve that problem.... I've never experienced.

I know I've seen this done before... ether here at this forum... or maybe even another one. I know I haven't done anything new here. I am just surprised at how easy it was.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Yet Another Camera Modification
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »

#:)  Nice mod.
An added helpful from me.  >!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:50:42 PM »

That should resolve the antenna's directional issues when moving the Ninja.

#:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:58:38 PM »

Looks very professional!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »

A great one dave, a helpful most definitely.  :)%
Is the antenna connected to the X2 cam itself and not the ninja base, I assume you left the ninja alone?
then any bi-directional antenna would work? can you even use the type used for a transceiver, telescoping kind?

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »

Is the antenna connected to the X2 cam itself and not the ninja base, I assume you left the ninja alone?

Correct. I used silicone to adhere and seal the antenna to the cameras base. I think.... if I was doing it over... I would have used the wife's hot-glue gun (it would seal faster).

then any bi-directional antenna would work? can you even use the type used for a transceiver, telescoping kind?

No... antenna's are kinda picky about the signals they send and pick-up... much of how they work depends on length (vs wave-length of the signal). That's the reason I used the antenna from my old router.... both the router and the camera work at 2.4 ghz.

Although.... I am considering a Ninja antenna hack also (like this one) and I might consider using a transceivers antenna for that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:34:32 PM by Dave_x10_L »

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:37:44 PM »

No... antenna's are kinda picky about the signals they send and pick-up... much of how they work depends on length (vs wave-length of the signal). That's the reason I used the antenna from my old router.... both the router and the camera work at 2.4 GHz.

So an old 2.4 cordless phone would work? I have seem myself going for more 5.9 GHz.or other frequencies when shopping for replacement of cordless phones and other wireless products and toys around the house and business just to keep myself clean away form the X10 signals.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »

That should resolve the antenna's directional issues when moving the Ninja.

Puck, I figured it I messed up the camera in my attempt.... I would have converted it to a wired camera... following YOUR modification.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »

So an old 2.4 cordless phone would work? ........

That would be my guess. Although I did use a dremel on the camera case... I think I could have still have put the patch back if it hadn't worked. Although my alternate plan was Puck's conversion to wired.

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »

Here a site where they disect a 2.4GHz rubber-ducky antenna and explain its construction:

http://martybugs.net/wireless/rubberducky.cgi

And here's another 360 degree antenna that can be built that has higher gain.  It's probably very similar to the longer, higher gain antennas sold by Linksys/Cisco.

http://martybugs.net/wireless/collinear.cgi

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:37:24 PM by Alan V »

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »

Here a site where they disect a 2.4GHz rubber-and explain its construction:

http://martybugs.net/wireless/rubberducky.cgi

Yes that link uses the "rubber ducky" type antenna I used.

And here's another 360 degree antenna that can be built that has higher gain.  It's probably very similar to the longer, higher gain antennas sold by Linksys/Cisco.

http://martybugs.net/wireless/collinear.cgi

Yeah.... the High-gain antenna link is a bit over my head! They even used that new measurement.... millimeter. I am still learning how to convert inches to liters! But I still found it Very Helpful.

All humor aside. The conversion to the omni-directional antenna was a gamble. I have no special skills... if I can do it.. most others can too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:18:08 PM by Dave_x10_L »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »

Dave_x10_L,

Does it work as good as it looks?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »

Does it work?

Of course it works! ;D

Actually... I tested (and photographed) it before I smeared silicone on the base. It seems to work at least as well as before... and is less directional.

Meanwhile.... I am translating Alan V's 6dBi Collinear Antenna link into English (it appears to be nearly eight liters tall). I am thinking maybe I could construct one of those... and mount it outside where the cameras live.. then coax the signal to the inside to the receiver.

I am also pondering the idea of a Ninja antenna mod! I am having a slight range issue with the CM15A RF transmit range. I want to be able to tell the camera where to look... using the Ninja pre-sets and BVC.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:56:31 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »

I was on a roll with antenna modifications after the camera mod.... so I also created a "Home-made Compact 6dBi Collinear Antenna" Plus weather permitted a little testing today... and all seems pretty positive.

The cameras new antenna does seem to increase range a bit [by feet not yards] and 360 degree rotation of the camera has no effect on video image quality.

Although the Collinear Antenna I made for the receiver didn't really seem to increase range... it did allow for more omni-directional-ness and some added flexibility because the antenna is mounted using coax to the receiver.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.